Welcome To aBlackWeb

How long have you been married?

will be celebrating 9 years in Sept....... no problems at all tbh..... Mrs .Baptiste has been a great stepmother to my daughter whose own mother ( a deadbeat) left us when she was 5y/o...... me & my daughter are grateful every day for having her come into our life.

Two years this past January. Been with each other since 2005. We meet when she graduated HS in 2002, and was off and on during college. Finally decided to get back to together right before I graduated.

I guess our hardest part was when I first moved to NY. All the shitty things I had to do to become a teacher was waning on the both of us, mentally and financially. We were still two individuals living together, instead of being a unit and relying on each other.

We never went to counseling, but we would be open to it if can improve communication.

11 years this past May.

It's been pretty smooth sailing for the most part. We had a little bump early on, but once we talked honestly about, it made us stronger.

We went to pre-marital counseling because my wife wanted her grandmother to marry us and she required that anyone she married had to sit down with her for counseling. It was fine, but I don't think it helped us much. We both are big on open communication. I feel like if you can do that, counseling doesn't really serve a purpose.

We'll probably renew our vows at 20 or 25 years.

13 years

Year 4 was rough. Just a lot was going on.

Counseling is not an option EVER

Definitely will renew because a few people missed it because they were out of state and couldn't make it back so I want them to be there cause they close to us.

I'm not ok at all with talking to a stranger about my personal business. I feel like we can work that out between ourselves. Also feel like there is some people in our circles that can be a neutral party to hear us out if shit gets that bad.
I’ve got to disagree with you there. If you’re stuck on the stranger knowing your business thing, you shouldn’t be. Trust me, counselors have heard it all and don’t know your people to spill the beans so you good.

If it’s not that, then a stranger (professional certified and licensed counselor of course) is best because they’re objective. People you know will never be 100% neutral. They come with preconceived notions about each of you that shapes their advice for you.

A stranger sees each situation based solely on the merits of that situation. People you know are more likely to be like, “well, you know he always was…” or “that’s just how she is…” etc.

Plus if someone you know is seen as taking either side the advice is immediately written off as subjective. At least with a stranger you know they aren’t taking sides.

Just my $0.02, but whatever works best for you keep doing it. If it starts to not work, a stranger may be the best thing for you.

Would like to also add, a counselor really focuses more on why the couple disagrees or can’t see eye to eye on certain situations. They help people understand the reasons behind why people act the way they do in relationships. Sometimes just understanding that helps people get through otherwise difficult situations easier.

Then they can give you different tools to help you overcome hard situations. Our counselor helped us define our “cycle”. The “cycle” is what causes things to go south for us. She’s taught us to team up against the “cycle” instead of going against one another. Of course she’s helped us identify when it starts, how to know when we’re in it, how to get out of it based on what each of us need, etc.

This is our first time doing regular counseling in our almost 15 years of marriage and I wish we’d done it much sooner. Neither of us probably would have been as receptive back in the day though. Too damn stubborn, lol.

I’ve got to disagree with you there. If you’re stuck on the stranger knowing your business thing, you shouldn’t be. Trust me, counselors have heard it all and don’t know your people to spill the beans so you good.

If it’s not that, then a stranger (professional certified and licensed counselor of course) is best because they’re objective. People you know will never be 100% neutral. They come with preconceived notions about each of you that shapes their advice for you.

A stranger sees each situation based solely on the merits of that situation. People you know are more likely to be like, “well, you know he always was…” or “that’s just how she is…” etc.

Plus if someone you know is seen as taking either side the advice is immediately written off as subjective. At least with a stranger you know they aren’t taking sides.

Just my $0.02, but whatever works best for you keep doing it. If it starts to not work, a stranger may be the best thing for you.

It's not about them hearing it all. I don't know them so my personal business ain't going to be discussed with them.

I ain't doing that's all there is to it.

Today’s our 15 year anniversary.

1625684489338.gif

Year 5 was the hardest. I was a dawg. A young ass dawg. Took a lot of growing up to get through that. Counseling for us didn’t work. I knew what I had to do to change and I did. Would like to do a real wedding. We got hitched at the court house and didn’t have anything with family really. Moving around the country didn’t help either.

9 years sept 29th

hardest years I’d say are between 6-8 or as they call it the 7-year itch. Sought out counseling not only for my relationship but also individual for myself.
If there are ever communicating issues counseling really helps with being able to understand your partners view of things. Often times it’s hard to hear and accept what your partner is saying when the two of you are the ones in the heat of the moment.

I highly recommend counseling, it’s viewed negatively in the black community but it can be very helpful.
Renewing vows are important if you want to establish that recommitment in your relationship. Haven’t done it but definitely would.

Back