Welcome To aBlackWeb

How Come Dr J Doesn't Get His Flowers?

Marketing & Promotion. Doc gets pushed out because the NBA wasn’t marketable to white America& known as a niche sport until the Magic-Bird rivalry. Similarly why the pistons are never marketed. Doc as a player is like Kareem too black for corporations. How can the NBA promote Doc today in a commercial? Skill wise Doc is on Jordan’s level but the NBA changed rules & pushed Jordan to be the money maker it is today. I think Doc is happy to be remembered as not selling out & shakes his head at Barkley every night he watched TNT.
I do agree to, a certain extent.

Like Kareem, Doc came up in a very weak media era. The NBA in the 70s was nowhere near as marketable for the global game it is now. That didn't even START till the 80s.

The only difference between Doc and Kareem is Doc was very media friendly and classy, whereas Kareem told the media to kiss his ass in his own silent way, especially after the Ali Summit blowback.

I’m 48. I remember when the nba finals was shown on tape delay after the 10 news. Bird & magic rivalry saved college & pro basketball. Doc low key didn’t like the attention Bird & the Celtics was getting for being white . Remember Rodman’s comment that haunts isiah Thomas.

Who knew there was a Dr J vs Larry Bird video game?

A kid that lived up the street from me had it

Back