Welcome To aBlackWeb

How Come Dr J Doesn't Get His Flowers?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
In his five ABA seasons, Erving won three scoring titles, three Most Valuable Player awards and two championships

In 1972-73 he averaged 31.9 points per game

Erving led the 76ers to the NBA finals four times in seven years, including their 1983 championship win. He was voted the NBA's Most Valuable Player in 1981. He retired in 1987 after having become the third professional player to have scored a career total of 30,000 points.

People always talk about MJ, Kobe and LeBron. I think Dr J belongs in the conversation.

The Doc is MJ 1.0. He was the first legit star in the NBA to have a shoe deal, the first to win the slam dunk contest, the first to do the foul line dunk; Hell, the Kentucky Squires traded him to NY just to keep the ABA alive when he had the brightest star there. He was a trendsetter on the court.

He got his biography special, which was dope. I think if he had Moses in Philly from jump, he would've finished with six rings total - 3 from the ABA and 3 from the NBA. No way the Sixers should've lost to the Blazers in '76 or the Lakers in '80 after Kareem went down.

Even still, he's a Top 5 Small Forward. I'd rank him #3 as of now - behind only Bron and Bird. KD MIGHT surpass him, but we'll see. The ABA thing kinda puts him in the universe where Warren Moon lives; having great careers in another league that was written off cause it wasn't "the league."

Doc is Top 12-15 overall, tho. And I think that's enough respect for him. He's pretty much known as THE greatest player for the Sixers AND Nets franchises (tho, Wilt may have a say about that in Philly). He's fine.

Last edited:
We talk about those players because we've seen them play, I've never watched a Dr J game in my life but he's a legendary player though

I remember he had a reputation for being the GOAT at the time, but I was a lil too young to really appreciate him. And by the time I got older, Dr J himself was getting older and he wasn't as good as he was in his prime.

But I grew up in Massachusetts and the Celtics had a rivalry with the 76ers and the Lakers.

I must have been 9 years old when the 76ers won that the championship in 1983.

I remember he had a reputation for being the GOAT at the time, but I was a lil too young to really appreciate him. And by the time I got older, Dr J himself was getting older and he wasn't as good as he was in his prime.

But I grew up in Massachusetts and the Celtics had a rivalry with the 76ers and the Lakers.

I must have been 9 years old when the 76ers won that the championship in 1983.
Those series with the Cs from 1980-1984 were WARS. Doc fighting Bird was the pinnacle of basketball hate. Honestly, for as much glory as the Lakers v Celtics rivalry gets, no real rivalry in the NBA goes deeper than Boston vs Philly.

In his five ABA seasons, Erving won three scoring titles, three Most Valuable Player awards and two championships

In 1972-73 he averaged 31.9 points per game

Erving led the 76ers to the NBA finals four times in seven years, including their 1983 championship win. He was voted the NBA's Most Valuable Player in 1981. He retired in 1987 after having become the third professional player to have scored a career total of 30,000 points.

People always talk about MJ, Kobe and LeBron. I think Dr J belongs in the conversation.

This nigga made a whole thread bout this shit.

Dr J yo daddy huh...

:tuh:

Back