Welcome To aBlackWeb

How bad is the state of the WWE right now?

VIBE

Welcome to the New Era
https://www.cagesideseats.com/platf...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

As a person who runs a website dedicated to pro wrestling coverage, I can tell you that, yes, WWE is both the bread and the butter. What you certainly don’t need me to tell you is that negativity sells. You’re on the Internet, you see enough of it to have figured that out.

It’s easy, then, to pass off every critical article you see as a take that is simply trading in that. Some of them undoubtedly are, but there are times when the reality of the situation is such that one has nothing to do with the other.

That’s WWE right now.

It all just looks so bad.

The company just recently did an earnings call where the Chairman of the Board blamed injuries for the continued decline of key business indicators. This is bullshit, of course, but Vince McMahon had to offer some sort of explanation for, as the Wrestling Observer Newsletter put it, “far less interest across the board than any year in recent memory” in the lead up to WrestleMania 35.

Even more:

The key is the biggest time period of the year, the lead to WrestleMania, resulted in far less interest across the board than any year in recent memory. Even some artificial things, such as running a stadium instead of an arena for Royal Rumble, and doing less house shows, so the better attended television should make for a higher average, still couldn’t come close to camouflaging the decline. The declines were such that the company had to address it. The previous story was that they were down, but they were going to redo the arena business, knew the problems and knew the solutions. Here we are, and the arena business hasn’t improved, even its most favorable time of the year, and the declines in all aspects were the most significant to date.
Put simply, WWE can no longer make stars. Hell, they can’t even keep morale up among the wrestlers they have under contract.

Dean Ambrose left when his contract was up because he was tired of what was being done to his character. Others have reportedly pledged to do the same, like The Revival, who turned down a large contract offer and were booked to lose the tag team titles to the two biggest losers in the company. They’re in the middle of being embarrassed and humiliated on television each week.

Then you have the cases of Luke Harper and Sasha Banks, who are both sick of how they’re being treated and have asked to be let go. They won’t be let go, however, because WWE fears they will simply go to its newest competitor, AEW. They are, then, essentially trapping unhappy folks and holding them hostage -- folks who are, by the way, not even actual employees of the company.

To top it all off, WWE just announced that, yes, the Saudi Arabia money is too good to pass up again and they will be sending the wrestlers they have left back over there so they can cash a fat check, all else be damned. They’re also paying Goldberg, Undertaker, and Brock Lesnar a lot of money to return for it because, again, there are no real stars on the roster anymore.

As if the rapidly declining ratings for Raw and SmackDown didn’t already make that clear.

It just all looks so bad. What’s worse is it doesn’t look like there is any hope of it turning around any time soon.

The thing is, I sincerely hope it does. WWE sucks right now and while it may be profitable to point that out, it’s also a miserable existence to maintain. I’d much rather be writing about how great everything looks.

It just doesn’t.

So while you should definitely be wary of those who traffic in negativity, you should also be wary of those who are eager to act like everything is just fine when it so clearly is not. Let’s just call it like it is and hope it gets better.

It’s bad. It’s definitely not the wrestling or the wrestlers because we know how talented the rosters of raw smackdown and nxt are. The problem is, of course, creative. To me, wwe creative has overall been bad since they bought wcw. Yea you read that right! I’ve been DVRing raw and smackdown since 2007. I usually would watch it when I can and skim thru it. Nowadays I watch it live and if I don’t like what I see, I just change it and turn it back on when I feel like it without even watching the DVR. It’s that bad. I’m hoping the AEW succeeds and ROH gets on tv regularly, especially since Sinclair bought the regional sports networks from Fox

It's in very BAD shape and this isn't a trend that has just started. The decline of WWE as been going on for a few years now. Any time you have three different brands in your company and the development brand outshines the main roster talent weekly and PPVs there's a problem.

The problem: VINCE MCMAHON

Dude is 70+ and out of touch adding, he is too hands on with the weekly product. Vince only cares about the financial aspect of WWE. WWE got Saudi money & FOX money coming in. Why care about the actual in-ring product? WWE hasn't had any legit competition in nearly 20 years. The only way WWE is going to learn is to fall on their ass just like WCW did. Let the ratings continue to fall off. How good is that money from FOX & Saudi Arabia going to be if nobody is watching?

Last edited:
Damn. And you would think with Kofi Kingston and Seth Rollins as champs shit would be better.....nope.

WWE suffers from playing everything safely, over processing promos and ring work, as well as a lack of creating and direction. As many wrestlers have said recently it's a ran on a weekly mindframe and not thought out long term which in return create no organic or authentic feel. Also backstage policies, lack of progressive changes like 401k, off season, ands working as a full time employee is making the show and organization feel outdated and not the norm anymore.

I can honestly say at the moment I'm not expecting much from AEW since I believe that's all hype but I hope it works to scare them. Who on the current can y'all see being as big as The Rock? John Cena? Stone Cold? Triple H?

Which current star can you see in a dream match with a previous star? The current team is talented but doesnt have mega star potential.

They better hope new wrestlers like Punishment Martinez, Keith Lee, Velveenen Dream save them because I just can't see it with Ricochet ceiling, or Rollins subpar basic ass promos.

WWE is bad right now, we all know what the problem is from a product stand point. Its Vince. He needs to step down already. Thing is that aint their only problem. The other problem is that they got way too many top tier talents and not enough time to feature/push them all. They gonna have to release some folks or continue to look bad in the media when folks start requesting their releases.

i also think that small wrestling boom we experienced the last few years or so is already over. Everybody suffering in ratings. Look at Lucha Underground. It was hot now its silently died. That shit is no more. Impact has been struggling for years, no1 cares about ROH anymore so therefore i dont expect AEW to do any better, especally w/ their current roster thats full of indie guys and people that no one knows. Itll be TNA 2.0 at best if they lucky.

It’s not gonna work all the time if a talent goes to NXT for a year or 2, goes to the main roster and is expected to have a nice run. That formula won’t work.

It's in very BAD shape and this isn't a trend that has just started. The decline of WWE as been going on for a few years now. Any time you have three different brands in your company and the development brand outshines the main roster talent weekly and PPVs there's a problem.

The problem: VINCE MCMAHON

Dude is 70+ and out of touch adding, he is too hands on with the weekly product. Vince only cares about the financial aspect of WWE. WWE got Saudi money & FOX money coming in. Why care about the actual in-ring product? WWE hasn't had any legit competition in nearly 20 years. The only way WWE is going to learn is to fall on their ass just like WCW did. Let the ratings continue to fall off. How good is that money from FOX & Saudi Arabia going to be if nobody is watching?

This.

WWE doesn't have any real competition to threaten its reign like WCW did. Therefore...Vince sees no reason put out quality shyt.

In his eyes, fans gonna watch regardless. Fans are gonna show up. What other options do they have that's on WWE level? That's his thinking.

so, is wwe bad or is the state of wrestling dying?

It's just WWE imo.

To say the state of wrestling is bad, is to say you're including ALL the other companies like NJPW...Impact...ROH...AEW( even though they're just starting out). So no, it ain't the state of wrestling.

And I hate to include NXT, b/c the quality of talent on there is right there wit the other companies I mentioned. This all WWE, and Vince's hold on creative.

It's just WWE imo.

To say the state of wrestling is bad, is to say you're including ALL the other companies like NJPW...Impact...ROH...AEW( even though they're just starting out). So no, it ain't the state of wrestling.

And I hate to include NXT, b/c the quality of talent on there is right there wit the other companies I mentioned. This all WWE, and Vince's hold on creative.

Nah bruh.. Impact, ROH and NJPW are in just as bad of shape right now. Especially with the emergence of AEW

The talent pool is thin for all those other promotions you named. WWE was already signing top talent from those places and hoarding them now AEW has arrived and its being ran by the main guys who people were watching ROH and NJPW for. Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Cody, Hangman Page, etc.. so now they left hurting without any main stars.

I think its the state of wrestling in general.

Creative wise ROH & NJPW might be doing better tho I will give them that but I can just about guarantee you the ratings are down for all promotions right now. Its just that WWE is the machine so we always hear about how bad off it is

Nah bruh.. Impact, ROH and NJPW are in just as bad of shape right now. Especially with the emergence of AEW

The talent pool is thin for all those other promotions you named. WWE was already signing top talent from those places and hoarding them now AEW has arrived and its being ran by the main guys who people were watching ROH and NJPW for. Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Cody, Hangman Page, etc.. so now they left hurting without any main stars.

I think its the state of wrestling in general.

But didn't ROH sold out Madison during the weekend of Wrestlemania?

Of course they're not on WWE level, but the one thing I've heard folks say, is the quality of wrestling is better.

WWE only signing them to keep them from going to AEW or to the other organizations. Like a major music label signing all these different artists, but have no real intention of puttin out their albums.

If the reports are true that WWE has to do 3 million views a week on Fox...they in trouble.

But didn't ROH sold out Madison during the weekend of Wrestlemania?

Of course they're not on WWE level, but the one thing I've heard folks say, is the quality of wrestling is better.

WWE only signing them to keep them from going to AEW or to the other organizations. Like a major music label signing all these different artists, but have no real intention of puttin out their albums.

If the reports are true that WWE has to do 3 million views a week on Fox...they in trouble.

Idk they may of sold it out but the thing is that Super Card of Honor is there biggest show of the year and it features talents from other promotions not just ROH. So its big. Also while selling out a venue like that is a big deal it still doesn't translate to tv views

Idk they may of sold it out but the thing is that Super Card of Honor is there biggest show of the year and it features talents from other promotions not just ROH. So its big. Also while selling out a venue like that is a big deal it still doesn't translate to tv views

But those brands don't have the financial stature like WWE. So I tend to give those brands more of a pass b/c they don't have big TV deals like WWE.

But WWE has NO excuse. They got the money to hire better writers. But even if they did...nothing will change b/c Vince has a strangle hold on that. I think this Fox deal is the only thing I can see that'll make him step down from creative, and pass it to HHH.

Back