Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION HOA vs non HOA

I prefer places with HOAs. You have to read the HOA before you buy to see if its too expensive or restrictive. As long as there is nothing in there that goes against something you want to do, there is really no downside to living in an HOA. The upsides are that good HOAs take care of a lot of the upkeep around the neighborhood and even your yard and handle problematic owners.

And y'all might as well embrace that the HOA isn't going anywhere and will exist in some shape or fashion

Unless you are super affluent and live in a dope as gated community, you're gonna have to accept that most of the nicer places you want to live will have one

HOA's in gated communities are usually strict as fuck tho. We looked at a house back in AZ that was in a gated community inside of a gated community. The realtor that showed it to us literally told us to park on the street just in case our van dripped any oil 'cause the HOA would write it up within hours of it being in the driveway. House was nice as hell and all, but when the realtor got done laying out how strict the HOA was we decided to pass on it.

I just cant get over paying to own a home and not really feel like you own it
if you wanna get technical, you don't own shit until you have the title in your possession. the bank owns it until then.

but to your point, that is aggravating

HOA's in gated communities are usually strict as fuck tho. We looked at a house back in AZ that was in a gated community inside of a gated community. The realtor that showed it to us literally told us to park on the street just in case our van dripped any oil 'cause the HOA would write it up within hours of it being in the driveway. House was nice as hell and all, but when the realtor got done laying out how strict the HOA was we decided to pass on it.
oh ok

this is where my ignorance is

I assumed they didn't exist in these types of communities

you seem like a pretty responsible dude

I say that to say, for every koncept who's gonna get out in the driveway, change his brakes or whatever and will clean up afterwards, there are probably 20 mf's with a mini salvage yard of cars they "gonna get on the road as soon as they get the money" causing eye sores to the neighborhood as a whole

oh ok

I say that to say, for every koncept who's gonna get out in the driveway, change his brakes or whatever and will clean up afterwards, there are probably 20 mf's with a mini salvage yard of cars they "gonna get on the road as soon as they get the money" causing eye sores to the neighborhood as a whole
That whole "eye sore" shit bogus as fuck.
What does it matter to you once u close the door to YOUR home. What does having an extra car in the driveway or a nigga fixing a car have anything to do with what's going on in ya household?

oh ok

A few years ago when money was tight, we rented this lil crib in the hood over on the eastside. Older neighborhood, clearly no HOA and there probably never was one considering it's age. At least 6 houses on the block had a grip of cars in the driveway, on the lawn, etc. I used to have pics of one of them 'cause the nigga had cars in the back yard visible from the street, a busted ass limo in the driveway, and a bunch of other cars all over the place and he drove an old Festiva regularly. One cat had three dilapidated old 80's Benzes in the driveway including a 560 SL droptop that looked like it had been in a mafia shootout.

Never living in a hood like that ever again. Cops stayed on the block 'cause it was always some shit going on.

What does it matter to you once u close the door to YOUR home. What does having an extra car in the driveway or a nigga fixing a car have anything to do with what's going on in ya household?
let's not act like we don't use our eyes 99% of the time to come to an initial decision about things we come into contact with

eye sores are legit and

would you want to be sandwiched between two homes that had jungles for front yards while you cut your shit routinely?

let's not act like we don't use our eyes 99% of the time to come to an initial decision about things we come into contact with

eye sores are legit and

would you want to be sandwiched between two homes that had jungles for front yards while you cut your shit routinely?
I really wouldnt care tho. As long as my shit straight I'm not worried bout what the next house doing. But maybe that's me.

it legitimately affects saleability and housing values. When I was a loan officer and as an account executive for a subprime lender, appraisals that came in where there were comps on the block that had raggedy ass cars out front, especially in the front yard, always came in low as fuck. You would have to make a case to the lender not to use those houses as comps but if those were the most recent sales you were pretty much fucked and the house would end up being appraised far lower than it would have if those cars weren't there and the houses were in decent repair.

I had a house in Tulsa that an LO tried to get through with comps from a few blocks away instead of the recent sales in the neighborhood and my underwriter rejected it. When I spoke to her about it she said she pulled automated comps to try to figure out why the appraiser used houses from so far away and she emailed the shit to me. Every house looked like it was straight out of Squidbillies, tires, cars, one crib had a kitchen sink in the yard just sittin there. Ole girl was like "I can smell the meth fumes through the the pictures". Ended up rejecting the loan all together 'cause even though the house they were buying was nice, the comps in the neighborhood fucked up the value so badly the seller would never be able to get what they wanted out of it.

Last edited:
it legitimately affects saleability and housing values. When I was a loan officer and as an account executive for a subprime lender, appraisals that came in where there were comps on the block that had raggedy ass cars out front, especially in the front yard, always came in low as fuck. You would have to make a case to the lender not to use those houses as comps but if those were the most recent sales you were pretty much fucked and the house would end up being appraised far lower than it would have if those cars weren't there and the houses were in decent repair.

I had a house in Tulsa that an LO tried to get through with comps from a few blocks away instead of the recent sales in the neighborhood and my underwriter rejected it. When I spoke to her about it she said she pulled automated comps to try to figure out why the appraiser used houses from so far away and she emailed the shit to me. Every house looked like it was straight out of Squidbillies, tires, cars, one crib had a kitchen sink in the yard just sittin there. Ole girl was like "I can smell the meth fumes through the the pictures". Ended up rejecting it 'cause even though the house they were buying was nice, the comps in the neighborhood fucked up the value so badly the seller would never be able to get what they wanted out of it.
I definitely believe and understand all of that when it comes to selling but as far as effecting my day to day living, it would be minimal.

I prefer places with HOAs. You have to read the HOA before you buy to see if its too expensive or restrictive. As long as there is nothing in there that goes against something you want to do, there is really no downside to living in an HOA. The upsides are that good HOAs take care of a lot of the upkeep around the neighborhood and even your yard and handle problematic owners.

Until they vote in some new bullshit 3 years after you buy your crib. And now you can't have your guests park along the street or can't paint your house the color of green you want or you gotta buy a certain type of mailbox when you need to replace yours.

Them HOA niggas can suck my entire dick.

Can you tell I'm bitter? But seriously, I ain't had no personal experience with that specifically. But I know more than one person who has. And I already know I'd spazz out.

Until they vote in some new bullshit 3 years after you buy your crib. And now you can't have your guests park along the street or can't paint your house the color of green you want or you gotta buy a certain type of mailbox when you need to replace yours.

Them HOA niggas can suck my entire dick.

Can you tell I'm bitter? But seriously, I ain't had no personal experience with that specifically. But I know more than one person who has. And I already know I'd spazz out.

HOAs don't just randomly do shit (at least good ones don't). They have board meetings and shit like that. So if major changes come, you should know why and when. Sometimes, it's possible something could pop up and not go your way, but in my experience it's not as deep as you're making it. The benefits from living under HOAs have far outweigh the petty little shit I've had to give up. Let's just put it like this, on a couple occasions, I lived next to some real jackasses, like "everybody in the neighborhood knows and hates them" type jackasses. The HOA was basically the only thing that kept things from getting deep with them.

HOAs don't just randomly do shit (at least good ones don't). They have board meetings and shit like that. So if major changes come, you should know why and when. Sometimes, it's possible something could pop up and not go your way, but in my experience it's not as deep as you're making it. The benefits from living under HOAs have far outweigh the petty little shit I've had to give up. Let's just put it like this, on a couple occasions, I lived next to some real jackasses, like "everybody in the neighborhood knows and hates them" type jackasses. The HOA was basically the only thing that kept things from getting deep with them.

I know they don't randomly do shit. They have to vote everything in. But usually, not many community-wide things are ever suggested so all you have to do to get something on the ballot is suggest it. And if what you want is on the losing side of the vote...what does it matter how the new rule got implemented? You still can't choose your own gotdamn mailbox.

What are the benefits of an HOA? I'm legitimately asking.

Bro I let whoever the fuck do whatever the fuck with their own property. Unless it directly affects me, like being a hoarder or packrat tupw nigga who's crib is full of rodents and them shits are popping up in MY yard, I don't really think anyone should be able to tell anyone else what to do with their property. And anything that requires that sort of attention usually can be handled by the city.

I know they don't randomly do shit. They have to vote everything in. But usually, not many community-wide things are ever suggested so all you have to do to get something on the ballot is suggest it. And if what you want is on the losing side of the vote...what does it matter how the new rule got implemented? You still can't choose your own gotdamn mailbox.

What are the benefits of an HOA? I'm legitimately asking.

Bro I let whoever the fuck do whatever the fuck with their own property. Unless it directly affects me, like being a hoarder or packrat tupw nigga who's crib is full of rodents and them shits are popping up in MY yard, I don't really think anyone should be able to tell anyone else what to do with their property. And anything that requires that sort of attention usually can be handled by the city.

Look if you're out in the middle of nowhere with acres of your own land and the decisions you make with your property don't affect anyone else, yeah do what you want. However, in a neighborhood where one person's actions on his or her property can affect the value of all the houses around, you need someone to reign silly shit in. Like if you like where you're living and don't ever plan on moving, then I guess shit doesn't matter for you. But I plan on moving in the next 5 years, so no I don't want my neighbor randomly painting his house lime green or putting a bunch of bullshit in his yard that will drive the price of my house down when I try to sell. No, I don't want my neighbor thinking he can treat the public sidewalk in front of his year like a club let out and amassing people there because that shit affects the chances of me being able to sell my house. That's shit that I literally have to deal with now. Add to that niggas letting their friends drop their cars off and use up all the guest parking to store cars for months at a time. Our HOA started towing and ended that shit. When dudes tried to start selling drugs in front of the neighborhood, the HOA was the one that got the cops involved and ran them off. When cats wanted to treat the front of our neighborhood like a club letout and start massing up every night, the HOA put up the no trespassing signs and cameras that caught them in the action of some of the dirt they were doing and got the out of there.

I ain't saying all HOAs are good, but when you're dealing with unruly neighbors that don't respect the people around them, it's either the HOA gets at them or you get at them and the latter choice could end much worse for everyone.

Look if you're out in the middle of nowhere with acres of your own land and the decisions you make with your property don't affect anyone else, yeah do what you want. However, in a neighborhood where one person's actions on his or her property can affect the value of all the houses around, you need someone to reign silly shit in. Like if you like where you're living and don't ever plan on moving, then I guess shit doesn't matter for you. But I plan on moving in the next 5 years, so no I don't want my neighbor randomly painting his house lime green or putting a bunch of bullshit in his yard that will drive the price of my house down when I try to sell. No, I don't want my neighbor thinking he can treat the public sidewalk in front of his year like a club let out and amassing people there because that shit affects the chances of me being able to sell my house. That's shit that I literally have to deal with now. Add to that niggas letting their friends drop their cars off and use up all the guest parking to store cars for months at a time. Our HOA started towing and ended that shit. When dudes tried to start selling drugs in front of the neighborhood, the HOA was the one that got the cops involved and ran them off. When cats wanted to treat the front of our neighborhood like a club letout and start massing up every night, the HOA put up the no trespassing signs and cameras that caught them in the action of some of the dirt they were doing and got the out of there.

I ain't saying all HOAs are good, but when you're dealing with unruly neighbors that don't respect the people around them, it's either the HOA gets at them or you get at them and the latter choice could end much worse for everyone.

Amassing people on the sidewalk like it's a club fall under the city ordinance usually, so they can take care of that. I don't care about my neighbor painting his house green. I don't think people should be responsible for the property value of their neighbors is lowered by something as silly as paint color of your neighbors house. So I guess that's where you and I diverge and won't ever agree on it prolly.

Amassing people on the sidewalk like it's a club fall under the city ordinance usually, so they can take care of that. I don't care about my neighbor painting his house green. I don't think people should be responsible for the property value of their neighbors is lowered by something as silly as paint color of your neighbors house. So I guess that's where you and I diverge and won't ever agree on it prolly.

True, but only one of us is arguing based on reality. The HOA is the one that contacts the city to make things happen. It doesn't go as quickly when individual residents try. I know because we've been through that twice. And whether you believe people should be held responsible for the property value of neighbors or not is irrelevant. The fact is that everybody's property affects the likelihood of sale and the value of all the properties around it. That's just the reality. So yes, it's good in many cases to have rules and a body to enforce those rules to protect everyone's value. You may not care, but people hoping to sell or borrow against the value of their homes do.

never dealt with one

I see pros and cons...would rather stay away from it at this point but if we moved back into a neighborhood I think the benefits outweigh the small hassle

like i doubt they'd ever have to tell me to clean my shit up or cut my yard, thats just not me

Back