Welcome To aBlackWeb

History Thread

Just about to kick off reading this, cant wait to dive in...

'Despite its reputation for religious intolerance, the Middle East has long sheltered many distinctive and strange faiths: one regards the Greek prophets as incarnations of God, another reveres Lucifer in the form of a peacock, and yet another believes that their followers are reincarnated beings who have existed in various forms for thousands of years. These religions represent the last vestiges of the magnificent civilizations in ancient history: Persia, Babylon, Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs. Their followers have learned how to survive foreign attacks and the perils of assimilation. But today, with the Middle East in turmoil, they face greater challenges than ever before.

In Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms, former diplomat Gerard Russell ventures to the distant, nearly impassable regions where these mysterious religions still cling to survival. He lives alongside the Mandaeans and Ezidis of Iraq, the Zoroastrians of Iran, the Copts of Egypt, and others. He learns their histories, participates in their rituals, and comes to understand the threats to their communities. Historically a tolerant faith, Islam has, since the early 20th century, witnessed the rise of militant, extremist sects. This development, along with the rippling effects of Western invasion, now pose existential threats to these minority faiths. And as more and more of their youth flee to the West in search of greater freedoms and job prospects, these religions face the dire possibility of extinction.

Drawing on his extensive travels and archival research, Russell provides an essential record of the past, present, and perilous future of these remarkable religions.'

51XIUg%2Bg1KL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

i find it interesting how most religions can go back to the great flood or deluge....

and this sumerian kick im on....shit is crazy.

but what site yall go to?

reliable sites ....cuz i always read.....then research what i read....then research that

'Despite its reputation for religious intolerance, the Middle East has long sheltered many distinctive and strange faiths: one regards the Greek prophets as incarnations of God, another reveres Lucifer in the form of a peacock, and yet another believes that their followers are reincarnated beings who have existed in various forms for thousands of years. These religions represent the last vestiges of the magnificent civilizations in ancient history: Persia, Babylon, Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs. Their followers have learned how to survive foreign attacks and the perils of assimilation. But today, with the Middle East in turmoil, they face greater challenges than ever before.

In Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms, former diplomat Gerard Russell ventures to the distant, nearly impassable regions where these mysterious religions still cling to survival. He lives alongside the Mandaeans and Ezidis of Iraq, the Zoroastrians of Iran, the Copts of Egypt, and others. He learns their histories, participates in their rituals, and comes to understand the threats to their communities. Historically a tolerant faith, Islam has, since the early 20th century, witnessed the rise of militant, extremist sects. This development, along with the rippling effects of Western invasion, now pose existential threats to these minority faiths. And as more and more of their youth flee to the West in search of greater freedoms and job prospects, these religions face the dire possibility of extinction.

Drawing on his extensive travels and archival research, Russell provides an essential record of the past, present, and perilous future of these remarkable religions.'

That is interesting. People always think Middle East is all Muslim and small population of Jews and Christians. But those Christian and other faiths are so different from what we are used too

i find it interesting how most religions can go back to the great flood or deluge....

and this sumerian kick im on....shit is crazy.

but what site yall go to?

reliable sites ....cuz i always read.....then research what i read....then research that

I usually do light research online i hit wikipedia alot. I know people view that as not legit

Into history associated with mythology (African, Greek, Roman, Norse, etc)

Currently watching PBS documentaries on US wars/conflicts in chronological order......currently watching one on the Mexican War......some of the documentaries have been cooked up with propaganda b.s. but it passes time on my 12 hour workday

That is interesting. People always think Middle East is all Muslim and small population of Jews and Christians. But those Christian and other faiths are so different from what we are used too

Yeah brother, its crazy to me as Ive only recently go into this part of history, the religious side (im an atheist) Ive not properly started the book yet, but read a few pages in the book store and it sounded real interesting so I copped it... I'll prolly start it tomorrow, so Im really well read on the subject...

But from my limited knowledge (hence why i bought the book) I gather these so called 'pagan' religions/faiths are literally 1000's of years old and still survived to this day or until relatively lately, which is crazy, I its guess its like Greeks still praying to their Greek Gods, but surely imo shows how tolerant Islam really was/is, that they co existed, yet in the West like in the UK/USA etc 'pagans' were killed off were they not???... Now it seems as the Islamic State are not tolerant to anything other than strict Islam it seems these other beliefs are fading away, so Im glad that hopefully in this book Gerard Russell got to meet, speak and be around these other beliefs...

Also, I didnt even know that Bagdad was apparently the centre of Christianity at one point!!! I was aware of how the Middle East and Africa where technically advanced and love learning about the rulers etc, but the few pages I read in book blew my mind haha

Apparently, a preacher named Mani almost became the Emperor of Rome, had he done the Roman Empire might not of spread Christianity across Europe but instead Mani's teachings... So imagine instead of tourists going to Bethlehem they instead ended up going to the Iraqi Marshes where Mani first preached, instead Manichees became extinct but apparently their cousins the Mandaeans still live in Iraq, and I believe Russell got to 'hang out' with them so to speak...

Sounds a fascinating book, cant wait to read it...

Into history associated with mythology (African, Greek, Roman, Norse, etc)

Currently watching PBS documentaries on US wars/conflicts in chronological order......currently watching one on the Mexican War......some of the documentaries have been cooked up with propaganda b.s. but it passes time on my 12 hour workday

I was watching something on the Mexican war and how mexico ended slavery before the US but in Texas Americans wanted to bring their slaves.

I looked at African Ancestry, they seem to be the most promoted of the ancestry sites. There's an interview where they did two of the Breakfast Club's crew and another with Izm Radio. They claim to be the most extensive for black people.

I must of clicked on this thread and forgot about it. I'd recommend checking out books by Robin Walker. He's also got some youtube videos. I gotta warn that this book could probably stop a bullet. Very informative, but I after a while reading felt like class work.
514QBbwnaqL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIAmznPrime%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C-5_PIStarRatingFIVE%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA(61%20Reviews)%2C445%2C291%2C400%2C400%2Carial%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Another set of books to check out is "The Image of the Black in Western Art" series. The one I have focuses on Egypt to the Roman Empire. Each book centers on certain periods through western history, but touches every period of western history. I'd consider this more of a cool useless facts type of thing. Not too many lessons to be garnered from it, unless your'e just REALLY into art history.
ibwa-2-2-banner.jpg

Nature Knows No Color Line is cool as it tackles the issue of who was what in ancient history. Who was black, who was mixed, and lots of interracial focus. Saint Nicholas, Beethoven, the interracial craze of WW1, and historical description of Jesus just to name a few. Careful as it isn't the best edited book. It's a compendium to the book "Sex and Race" by the same author. The latter I haven't read yet.
Nature-Knows-No-Color-Line.jpg

And since Al-Andulas and it's story is an interest to the OP, I'd recommend this if you haven't read it already.
51bghJDHmYL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also here's a link to a thread I made of the Mali empire when they were featured on Extra Credits.
https://ablackweb.com/forum/threads/extra-credits-the-mali-empire-and-mansa-musa.6734/

Last edited:
Outside of Math, History was a subject I wanna as good at.

Except when I got older I found out that a TON of that BS was whitewashed lies.

Glad I teach Math.

Bump. This a question to mostly Northeast and Midwest folks. When did Italians, Polish, and Irish become considered white? Like I know when they first came here it wasnā€™t like that.

Being from that part of the world I can speak a little about some of those religions.

The religion that "revers Lucifer in the form of a peacock" is called Yazidism. But to say they rever Lucifer is a huge stretch. Their beliefs are far more beautiful than that and has a dope twish to the Adam and Eve story.

Quick summary. So who is Lucifer in the Abrahamic religions? He was an arch angel and one of the first angels created. He was up there with Michael and them. I dont think the Bible ever gives him a name but in the Koran he is Iblis. All this means he wasnt created as Lucifer. Then comes the fall. God creates humans, tells everyone to bow to them, Iblis doesnt bow to what he considers a creation beneath him, revolts, God banishes him to hell, and he becomes Lucifer.

With the Yazidis though, there is a twist. Story goes the same until god creates humans, tells everyone to bow, Iblis doesnt bow, god asks why, and Iblis tells him that he will only ever bow to god. God really likes that, and makes him the most important angel. In other words, there is no fall, so there is no Lucifer.

I think their belief is beautiful.

They been getting persecuted and killed for over a thousand years (Isis basically comitted genocide against them 5 years ago), but yea they been getting killed for over a thousand years for being devil worshippers cause human beings can only see things through their own lenses, but in reality there is no devil in their religion so how can they worship something that doesnt exist?

Ignorance is disgusting.

And the other religion mentioned, zoroastrianism, is basically where all Abrahamic religions came from.

Even today, the esoteric mystic teachings of Judiasm like Hasidims, the Christian mystic sects, or Islamic mystic sects like Sufism are all Zoroastrianism under different names.

I use to always go to war with my history teacher.

Pretty much all Abrahamic religions and beliefs come from the Middle East and North Africa. I had a professor who said Christianity was Western Religion but Islam and Judiasm were Eastern religions.

I remember taking offense to that. Like all 3 come from the same region, Christianity comes directly from Judiasm, and all of them come from Middle Eastern and African beliefs, so how does Christianity become Western?

Faggot ass professor has 0 answers.

Being from that part of the world I can speak a little about some of those religions.

The religion that "revers Lucifer in the form of a peacock" is called Yazidism. But to say they rever Lucifer is a huge stretch. Their beliefs are far more beautiful than that and has a dope twish to the Adam and Eve story.

Quick summary. So who is Lucifer in the Abrahamic religions? He was an arch angel and one of the first angels created. He was up there with Michael and them. I dont think the Bible ever gives him a name but in the Koran he is Iblis. All this means he wasnt created as Lucifer. Then comes the fall. God creates humans, tells everyone to bow to them, Iblis doesnt bow to what he considers a creation beneath him, revolts, God banishes him to hell, and he becomes Lucifer.

With the Yazidis though, there is a twist. Story goes the same until god creates humans, tells everyone to bow, Iblis doesnt bow, god asks why, and Iblis tells him that he will only ever bow to god. God really likes that, and makes him the most important angel. In other words, there is no fall, so there is no Lucifer.

I think their belief is beautiful.

They been getting persecuted and killed for over a thousand years (Isis basically comitted genocide against them 5 years ago), but yea they been getting killed for over a thousand years for being devil worshippers cause human beings can only see things through their own lenses, but in reality there is no devil in their religion so how can they worship something that doesnt exist?

Ignorance is disgusting.

I read the book ages ago now, so my memory isnt so great... But yes I believe that is what the guy stated in the book...It was a great read, in fact I might give it another read next now... The writer lived or spent alot of time in the regions amongst the people, such as the , Zoroastrians, Mandaeans, Ezidis etc ... I think you would find it interesting read given that you are from that part of the world and have some knowledge of their beliefs...

I read the book ages ago now, so my memory isnt so great... But yes I believe that is what the guy stated in the book...It was a great read, in fact I might give it another read next now... The writer lived or spent alot of time in the regions amongst the people, such as the , Zoroastrians, Mandaeans, Ezidis etc ... I think you would find it interesting read given that you are from that part of the world and have some knowledge of their beliefs...

Dope shit bruh but honestly I lost interest in history and philosophy a few years back.

Im forgetting alot of the stuff I knew. It is what it is.

Back