Welcome To aBlackWeb

HIPGNOSIS BUYS MUSIC CATALOG FROM PRODUCER DION ‘NO I.D’ WILSON

I think his catalog is worth more than $16mil. I was thinking $100mil

But the question is, how much has he made over the past 5 consecutive years (2016-2020) from mechanical royalties and publishing?

That gives you a good idea of how much it's worth right now (2020).
I would say at least 50 mill I just did the averages but one may have gotten 100 and another may have gotten 10

His shit gotta be worth 100 mill from Common to now

It's the age old question. Do you keep ownership of the business/music/etc to pass down to your kids or do you sell it at it's highest price when you get the opportunity?
Both, if the price is right I'd sell accordingly but not everything. We have to go song by song lmao

So we blaming the buyer or seller?

Because y’all blaming somebody for some reason.

It's the age old question. Do you keep ownership of the business/music/etc to pass down to your kids or do you sell it at it's highest price when you get the opportunity?

You keep ownership and leverage your catalog so it keeps making money for you. Selling your music like that is the stupidest thing you can do unless you're a few mil in debt to the mob or something.

I mean, you can talk about ownership, but its the BET problem all over again. No matter how many good business decisions a nigga make in Murica, you stuck in a capitalist system and what you create will be eventually absorbed by Disney or Comcast or some shit.

Like, people thought it was just a funny Boondocks joke when Huey talked about how BET proved to him that Black Cooperative Economics doesn't work in the long run......nah, Aaron was trying to warn ya'll lol.

You keep ownership and leverage your catalog so it keeps making money for you. Selling your music like that is the stupidest thing you can do unless you're a few mil in debt to the mob or something.

Maybe he is. Who knows.

And maybe - probably more likely? - he crunched the numbers and realized they were offering more than he would make in royalties over a couple decades. I mean No I.D a legend but we're not talking about the Beatles catalogue or the royalties to Old Town Road.

RZA is a highly intelligent and lowkey ruthless dude. If The Abbott is willing to deal with them, they not offering chump change.

Depending on the exact nature of the catalogue and the sale, cashing out and investing that bread in Real Estate might be the wiser move.

Shit like this makes me look at the past..and think, think that the investment made gains access to samples of hit music that can be used to elevate a media trained and groomed mega star, who can take that investment and not only double it and triple it, but also the influence that person will wield. This next 10 years bout to be something else. Smart men plan for the future.

I mean, you can talk about ownership, but its the BET problem all over again. No matter how many good business decisions a nigga make in Murica, you stuck in a capitalist system and what you create will be eventually absorbed by Disney or Comcast or some shit.

Like, people thought it was just a funny Boondocks joke when Huey talked about how BET proved to him that Black Cooperative Economics doesn't work in the long run......nah, Aaron was trying to warn ya'll lol.

Maybe he is. Who knows.

And maybe - probably more likely? - he crunched the numbers and realized they were offering more than he would make in royalties over a couple decades. I mean No I.D a legend but we're not talking about the Beatles catalogue or the royalties to Old Town Road.

RZA is a highly intelligent and lowkey ruthless dude. If The Abbott is willing to deal with them, they not offering chump change.

Depending on the exact nature of the catalogue and the sale, cashing out and investing that bread in Real Estate might be the wiser move.

@Swiffness! I want to agree with you but according to google (yeah I know Google isn't the greatest source) RZA is reportedly worth 18 Million. Just to compare, Lil Wayne is supposedly worth 150 Million.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.10.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.11.22 AM.png

You'd think that RZA would be closer to where Wayne is. As I understand it, the other 8 members of Wu were signed to him. Yeah maybe they didn't sell records like Nicki or Wayne, but RZA has his name attached to some Hip Hop classics.

If RZA is really only worth $18 million, I could see why he'd sell his catalog for, say, $50-100 million.

@Swiffness! I want to agree with you but according to google (yeah I know Google isn't the greatest source) RZA is reportedly worth 18 Million. Just to compare, Lil Wayne is supposedly worth 150 Million.

View attachment 390036

View attachment 390037

You'd think that RZA would be closer to where Wayne is. As I understand it, the other 8 members of Wu were signed to him. Yeah maybe they didn't sell records like Nicki or Wayne, but RZA has his name attached to some Hip Hop classics.

If RZA is really only worth $18 million, I could see why he'd sell his catalog for, say, $50-100 million.

Whatever they're offering you, best believe they're going to make many times that. This means you could do it too if you put together a small team to leverage your pubs right.

Back