Welcome To aBlackWeb

Growing up in poverty

Duwop

Savage Garden ⬛
Mod Squad
Many people feel that growing up poor or in poverty helps build character.

Makes us want better for ourselves, and increases our hustle.

Many folk today don't come from money, but they did very well for themselves.

What steps do you guys take for your children who may not have grown up with the same struggle?
How do you teach them to appreciate shit?

We have a tendency to spoil our kids with all the shit we were denied because of economic status, but i question is that necessarily a good thing?

I guess my real question is, what are your thoughts about growing up in poverty?

I grew up poor and even been homeless.
a lack of money really affects your self esteem. It affects your mental health.
when you dont have clean water, safe food, adequate shelter its hard to think.
Its hard to reason well.
Its a feeling of emptiness.

I don't want my children to feel what I felt at an early age.
BUTTTTT I also dont want them to be spoiled or a slave to money.

I guess balance is key.
I want them to have the things they need and want but I will teach them the real value of things like love, friendship and family.
Things you cant buy like wholeness and peace of mind.

I find it's very difficult to deny my son things sometimes cuz I remember the sadness and justification I made up in my mind for certain things.

I was very grateful, but that's because when things worked out in our favor,, it truly was a blessing.

I feel I deserve to share those same types of blessings with my family, but then I gotta hold back cuz I don't wanna spoil little bad ass over there...

Shits hard, lol

Growing up poor has made me terrible with money today. I fucking hate it. There are other factors as well, but i know the way i grew up has a lot to do with the feeling of satisfaction i get when i spend money.

Dont have kids so i cant relate to that part.

I grew up poor and to top it off I grew poor in the country. Growing up poor and country is the worst. We didn't have central air or heat so if niggas got cold we had to chop wood and and put it in a wood stove. If niggas was hot you pray to God that window fan catch a cool breeze or your ass was going to melt.

Knowing how I grew made thankful for the smallest of things now that I have. Don't know about building character or what not but it did help me appreciate everything.

I grew up poor and to top it off I grew poor in the country. Growing up poor and country is the worst. We didn't have central air or heat so if niggas got cold we had to chop wood and and put it in a wood stove. If niggas was hot you pray to God that window fan catch a cool breeze or your ass was going to melt.

Knowing how I grew made thankful for the smallest of things now that I have. Don't know about building character or what not but it did help me appreciate everything.
do you worry your son doesn't appreciate things because he goes with much more than you did??

do you worry your son doesn't appreciate things because he goes with much more than you did??

Yeah a little. Do I want to know what it's like to be poor and not have nothing? No never But I want him to be thankful and grateful for what he has and know how blessed he his not growing up like I did.

Hard to find balance. I don't want any child of mine to struggle for the sake of it but u have to find ways to make sure ur kids dont lose perspective.

I do it during commercials

Oh daddy can I get that?
No
Why?
Cuz we broke.

I grew up poor, I was never homeless but I have experienced starvation.
I hated having to ask for help and being in debt to someone. I learned how to manage my money so I'm not rich but I get what I need
Growing up like that makes you financially worried all the time even when your OK.
How it affected me was I don't get attached to things (Momentos etc).

Being poor my whole life showed me that poverty is a systematic condition and the solution to these systematic conditions lie outside of the system that created the conditions. But not only do these solutions lie outside of that system, our solutions are within.

The struggle made me the man I am today.

Being poor my whole life showed me that poverty is a systematic condition and the solution to these systematic conditions lie outside of the system that created the conditions. But not only do these solutions lie outside of that system, our solutions are within.

The struggle made me the man I am today.

I tell people all the time, poverty is man made.
Its not a natural occurrence.
Its strategic.

Back