Welcome To aBlackWeb

GOP Rep To Introduce Bill Allowing NCAA Athletes To Profit From Their Likeness

Chi-Town B

Mod Squad
Rep. Mark Walker (R-N.C.) said Thursday he plans to introduce legislation that would allow NCAA student-athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness.

Walker said he intends to introduce the Student-Athlete Equity Act next week, days before the start of the NCAA men's and women's basketball tournaments, two of the largest annual events in college athletics.

"This is the time and the moment to be able to push back and defend the rights of these young adults,” Walker, a former college athlete, told The Raleigh News & Observer.

The legislation would amend the definition of a qualified amateur sports organization in the tax code, lifting the restriction on student-athletes receiving compensation for their name and likeness, The News & Observer reported.

Under current NCAA regulations, players receive scholarships but are are unable to take any form of outside payment. Schools, meanwhile, can profit off of a student-athletes likeness, selling jerseys and other promotional items.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...g-ncaa-athletes-to-profit-from-their-likeness

Walker argued that NCAA member schools would not be required to pay athletes themselves, but merely lift restrictions on student-athletes' earning potential.

“It’s just odd that in our free market system that this is the one area where we say, ‘No. We’ll let you make money for the university, but you can’t have any access to your name or likeness,’” Walker told The News & Observer. “This is an earning opportunity for 99 percent of these student athletes who will never have another access to do something like this."

Walker added that he's met with NCAA representatives, and is open to possible guidelines that don't include a blanket ban on player earnings.

The NCAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the legislation.

The NCAA has faced multiple legal challenges in recent years from parties pushing to expand benefits for student-athletes. A federal judge has yet to issue a ruling in Alston v. NCAA, a class action lawsuit that went to trial last fall arguing that a cap on the value of athletic scholarships prevents individual colleges from competing with each other for an athlete's services.

i think they should.

hell every parent and person needs to copyright their likeness before someone else does it.

but i think colleges wont go for it...too much money to be made from the misuse of the athletes.

I'm all for it. At the end of the day, whether you are the star player or the 13th dude on the bench, there is a chance SOMEONE is profiting off your likeness but you aren't.

I've hated the position that some students would get paid more...well no shit...and as much as i think this still stifles the max potential a player can make, i think the only way you remedy this is to put a cap on how much they can get while still in college.

these students do get paid.

they dont get paid what they deserve or they get the backdoor pay me later shit.

It sounds good on paper and I'm all about college kids getting paid. The problem will be that it will make it easier to cheat for schools with deep pockets. For example. If you are a college and you want a top prospect to come to your school, you could pay him by setting up t-shirts, novelties etc. and make sure the prospect gets all the money.
The sales pitch would sound kinda like this...
John Doe, if you come play for the Almighty SMU Mustangs. We promise you will sell 2 million dollars in merchandise and we "guarantee" it.

It sounds good on paper and I'm all about college kids getting paid. The problem will be that it will make it easier to cheat for schools with deep pockets. For example. If you are a college and you want a top prospect to come to your school, you could pay him by setting up t-shirts, novelties etc. and make sure the prospect gets all the money.
John Doe, if you come play for the Almighty SMU Mustangs. We promise you will sell 2 million dollars in merchandise and we "guarantee" it.

Shit thats what the pros do

Pay them. They should get a cut of anything related to their likeness and probably even a small cut of ticket sales.

Ain't nobody there to see the coach.

The way I appreciate it, it's not that the schools would pay them solely, but they would get some revenue if their likeness is used

Like if duke puts Zion face on a program to promote a game. Pay him

Ion like it, this with social media is going to turn this generation even more me me me me. Niggaz gone start doing shit for the look, teams gone start chasing the name even more instead of the talent. The NBA in general is gonna see the full bad affects. Cause their GMS for the most part are absolutely trash, they cap system is trash. Fucking bench players making 20-30 mill cause they have to spend the money
download.jpeg teams end up with one good player and a bunch of niggaz that NBA enthusiasts are dying to tell u they ain't trash, it's just cause u dont know bball. That nigga garbage b..

The nfl..ehhhh, fuck it..pay them college boys, film dont lie

Case in point..Mike Dantoni..the warriors are essentially Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, and Amari Stoudamire,..done good. And they lucked up and realized the fluke of talent they had and got a disciple of Dantonis to run it.

Fuck whatever they wanna say, that shit wasnt intentional..once they saw what they had they wasnt gonna run mark Jackson's offense.

But Dantoni is an example of great coach, horrible GMs. Get the fucking guys built for the system. Not the fucking guys that are decent and ram them into a system.

Back