Welcome To aBlackWeb

Goat Song of 11 Tournament Preliminaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
He called your picks trash b

Thanks, wasn't sure what he was trying to say.

As I explained to @Goldie , this ain't the most popular song of a given year, it's the best. The best (or goat as the tournament is called) doesn't mean the joint that got the most spins on the radio nor does it mean it's gonna be a song by the biggest name of a given year. What a lot of y'all end up voting for is what you perceive to be the "biggest" joint of a year, and the biggest is very rarely ever "the best".

Where I believe I differ from most of y'all is that I approach these tournaments with a critical ear, not a popular ear. I don't care if a song packed the floor at the club or if all the strippers got on stage and worked it extra hard when the shit was played, or even if niggas was bangin it out the ride 'cause it had "hump". I listen as a producer and a fan of hip hop. I check for lyricism and production that compliments the MC and how he/she's spitting and what they're spitting. I also critique on whether an MC is actually on the track by his/herself, which is why I picked "The Good Fight" over "The Life Of Kings" because Phonte competently held down a whole track by himself whereas The Life of Kings is him, Evidence, and KRIT. Plus, the production perfectly compliments Phonte's rhymes and sets the vibe just right for what he's saying.

For these reasons, IMO, Phonte's "The Good Fight" is pretty much the best song of 2011. Royce's "Second Chance" would be very close behind it with Tanya Morgan and The Cool Kids joints up next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back