Welcome To aBlackWeb

Fragrance thread

I fell back from coppin during the pandemic because of masks and what not.

Looking forward to buying some new shit soon

Like to share my little collection. Just now starting to getting into the more expensive kinds of colognes. At first I was buying stuff like cool water, h2 hummer, and curve. Now I wear cologne to work every day, so I throught it didn't matter as much. But when I brought ysl y, it change my whole perspective on good quality cologne.

20210708_111458.jpg

So what other colognes should I get.

Like to share my little collection. Just now starting to getting into the more expensive kinds of colognes. At first I was buying stuff like cool water, h2 hummer, and curve. Now I wear cologne to work every day, so I throught it didn't matter as much. But when I brought ysl y, it change my whole perspective on good quality cologne.

View attachment 581712

So what other colognes should I get.

For summer check out Creed's Virgin Island Water, real fresh summer vibes... Its not cheap but gets tons of compliments...

Was rocking this last Friday, definitely delicious and yeah gets maaaaaad compliments. That coconut and Jamaican lime is very nice.

Yeah its probably the number one for compliments, might be because people are in a good mood as its typically a sunny day when wearing it haha I love the strong coconut scent, reminds me of being on holiday... Its a great summer cologne...

Over the last month or so, I’ve been able to smell a whole lot of fragrance. I’ve been to a couple high end stores and niche boutiques and covered a lot of curiosities.

I was able to smell the entire by kilian line, many joints from amouage, Initio parfums, roja parfums, Clive Christian, diptique, le labo, Creed, Maison Francis Kurdijian, the YSL prívate blend....and more.

Now I have a wayyyyy more clear understanding of the type of scents I don’t like.
Man who are you telling, because I went to Saks and Neiman Marcus and smell all of the major niche brand names. Once you get a taste of these gems you can never go back.

Just like you, have a clearly understanding of what like and dont like.

This is 1000% FACTS. I use Frederic Malle and Thierry Mugler Les Exceptions and haven't been able to turn back. It's definitely pricier but lasts way longer and is much more potent and specific.
Not necessarily true. Most designers usually last more than niche offerings due to using chemicals such as ambroxan or iso super E to push the longevity of the scent for beast mode performance.

Whereas with most niche houses they use higher quality or more natural ingredients that tend to evaporate quicker over time.

With that said the niche snobbery in the frag community is corny. Just another way to be on a class system. There's a reason Dior Sauvage is the frag king atm.

That side effect is clutch. Copped that earlier this year. They have a new one called musk therapy. That's next on the list

See I have to respectfully disagree. I get it tho everyone's sense of what they like is different.

Dior Sauvage is good but everyone has it and it doesn't last very long. Frederic Malle has so many distinct flavors. If I spray Dries Van Noten, Geranium, Musc Ravageur or Dawn, it lasts almost 2 full days, including after I shower at times I can still smell it.

I want something distinctive, delicious and also durable. A lot of department store or ugh pharmacy fragrances dont last as long. But hey if I'm paying $300+ for a cologne versus $100 I'm getting what I paid for I suppose. In no way am I trying to knock $100 colognes shit Versace Eros and Viktor Rolf Spicebomb Intense I own and still swear by. But them niche jawns !? Maaaaaaaaaannnnn listen !!!
That is just false though. It may not be beast mode like an Amouage fragrance(which have also had a drop in performance), but to say it doesn't last long is inherently wrong. I get that everyone's skin chemistry is different and reformulations have hurt the performance, but that is just false.

You don't have to pay 300+ to get something different, distinctive or anything that you just described. I guarantee someone getting noticed and getting more compliments with an 80 dollar bottle of Profumo than you will with any of those expensive brands you just named.

Alot of that is people trying to flex with exclusivity. Celine just dropped a whole line of hyped up fragrances, charged the same as Chanel, only for the response by the community to be " Ehh, these are cool. Nothing special."

Don't get caught up in the niche is better than designer way of thinking. It costs like 10 dollars to make a fragrance and alot of these companies are using the same ingredients making you pay for the brand/exclusivity.

Club de nuit Intense is performing better than Aventus these days. Many people say that Rush of Unicorns performs better than Millesime Imperial as well. Like what you like and buy what you want, but both have their place in the ecosystem. Don't end up like Joy Amin on youtube crying about getting divorced and whatnot due to spending his money on cologne

Well what do you define as long lasting ? Aaaalll my niggas got Sauvage except me and the general consensus with many of the other colognes priced similar is they don't last as long maybe 4 hours on average.

I agree 100% that you don't have to drop $300+ for a dope cologne. That Frederic Malle/Dominique Ropion still incredible tho good God I love it.

End of the day for me personally, I can't and dont want to go back. I fuck with what I like.

I can you both of your guys point. I personally go to fragrantica site and it gives a list of notes in each cologne. And you will be amaze at how so many fragrances are so similar. Like Prada luna cardon smell just like Dior sauvage, so you get the same type of cologne for a lesser price.

Now when it comes to longevity of a scent. What I found it is mostly about your skin chemistry and diet, how you spray it, and rather or not you have put something on your skin before you apply the fragrance on you. For instance, when i put oil or lotion on me before hand, it actually helps the fragrance last longer.

When it comes to niche vs designer brands, just like Sion said we do it because that's what we enjoy, and second we are looking something different and that will out stand from the rest of the mainstream stuff that everyone knows about. Now can you get that will designer brand cologne maybe if you get something that nobody knows about, but it is a reason why price points exist. Just do your research ahead of time and text things out before you make that huge investment to see if its worth it or not, because obviously not every niche fragrance is worth the cost or with any cologne for that matter.

That side effect is clutch. Copped that earlier this year. They have a new one called musk therapy. That's next on the list
Yes that side effect just hit different. When at Neiman's I got to smell all of the inito brand. And I'm caught in between buying next oud for greatness and rehab.

Let me say once more, I'm not by any means trying to say it's better to buy a $1000+ cologne. Aaaalll I'm saying is there is a difference between those niche colognes and the shit you find at a pharmacy and some department stores. You don't need to spend a lot to smell good in fact you can go online to places like fragrancex and get it for half the price or collectors online who have so much they know they won't use it all and are selling 5-10ml from their own collections for way less.

Also because one's scent or style is so particular I don't want to have shit that everyone else has or smells like which is why I avoid these "best sellers" everybody has Sauvage, Eros, Armani, Aventus, 1 million or Chanel Bleu. Even females pick up on that shit. A broke mattress on the floor bitch won't know any better but a bad bitch with bread will. Whether it's $100 or $900 for Tom Ford Private Blend 250ml I don't mind spending more because I got it like that and it's a drop in the bucket to me to be unique.
We are speaking the same language

images.jpeg

Last edited:
My thing is you can find gems and subpar fragrances in both designer and niche offerings. Just because you spend more money does not make the fragrance better than a cheaper offering. That's just snobbery and not really doing your research. Even some clones perform better than the originals nowadays

Ill post my collection later

Higher price dont mean higher quality or longevity

For instance, le labo was mentioned. While i like their scents, its didnt feel worth 190 usd for 1.7oz...While top of the line mfk (baccarat , oud, soir) is only 20 30 bucks more for a larger bottle...n they shit on le labi, even though i find them very dope....jus well over priced!..but they priced that way due to they over the top presentation and customer service in my imagination

Man who are you telling, because I went to Saks and Neiman Marcus and smell all of the major niche brand names. Once you get a taste of these gems you can never go back.

Just like you, have a clearly understanding of what like and dont like.

Mfk baccarat 540 turned me out...i burned HELLA bread on samples... n havent been able to get that high again lol...n mfk line solid...grand soir n oud great...but the rest, while good...aint worth it ..l homme rose , the Celeste lines, fortes etc...i been through em. Solid...not no 200 bucks worth

But i aint stoppin....aint no turning back once u get pass that threshold

just buy what you like and what you think smells good. Fuck the price and that’s on either side of the spectrum.

Back