Welcome To aBlackWeb

Fort Worth police officer shoots and kills black woman inside her home

Skpr and refugee

Fwiw, I've been fucking with a lot of his posts even if I don't agree. I think his pov can be extreme at times but I try to understand his logic at a minimum

But to everyone, let's keep it civil

At the end of the day, we need to be able to disagree with our brothas in the same struggle and keep it moving respectfully
Wacked you for pretending something abnormal happened in here.

Whats extreme? It boils down to a handful of us, 6 or 7 of us who are less tolerant and trusting of the enemy than the rest of yall, that's all

Making up talking points huh???? You're wrong again

Pandering for bigger bags is a thing.

If anything, you're only proving that Christians weren't the problem and neither was forgiveness. If that shit is true, then the fam was just plain corrupt and greedy. So niggas selling out was the problem, and you could actually make an argument that's been the case for a long time.

And it still doesn't explain this obsession ya'll have with misrepresenting the points that were made in the other topic. Not one Christian that posted expressed the bullshit stances that ya'll keep throwing out.

I can dig it. I was just explaining where the "fuck training" comes from. You said some good isht here.
I mean just imagine it...

In a prominent black city if the most popular job in the black community was police officer.

That means more black cops in the streets. More doing training and evaluations. More actively looking for racism in the department. And more presence so that they don't feel outnumbered when addressing those issues.

I mean....I go into those mega hair salon suites, and like 96% of them black. It's a popular job.

You go to those nursing schools. Mad mad mad blacks.

Like, I get it everybody can't be a cop. But imagine if we had a shit load more....

I mean just imagine it...

In a prominent black city if the most popular job in the black community was police officer.

That means more black cops in the streets. More doing training and evaluations. More actively looking for racism in the department. And more presence so that they don't feel outnumbered when addressing those issues.

I mean....I go into those mega hair salon suites, and like 96% of them black. It's a popular job.

You go to those nursing schools. Mad mad mad blacks.

Like, I get it everybody can't be a cop. But imagine if we had a shit load more....

We have just as many, if not more, black men telling the black youth that working for the police is working for the enemy. I've been of the mindset that we need black cops patrolling our neighborhoods. I've gone as far as to say police should be required to live in the area that they police.

Sadly, a good number of the black men and women that have gone into law enforcement have bought into the "us vs them" attitude that a lot of police adopt towards the community they are hired to serve. Giving validation to the thought that being the police equals being the enemy.

Fort Worth shooting of Atatiana Jefferson exposes police training failures

As the department is scrutinized, the desire for federal standards for use of force and de-escalation training across the country are being championed.

FORT WORTH, Texas — Huddled around a lectern at an historically black church, more than two dozen faith and community leaders unified their voices Wednesday to demand federal intervention following the fatal police shooting of a black woman while she was babysitting her nephew.

The killing of Atatiana Jefferson, 28, has become the latest flash point in one of Texas' largest cities, where members of the black community want a federal investigation for what they say is a pattern that has persisted for years of excessive force and civil rights violations.

"It's time for somebody else to take control of putting in place the right mechanism to hold the city of Fort Worth and our Fort Worth Police Department accountable," said the Rev. Kyev Tatum, an activist and president of the Tarrant County chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

Tatum and others are calling for a federal consent decree, which would involve the Department of Justice investigating the Fort Worth Police Department and mandating potential reforms, as has happened in cities such as Baltimore and Ferguson, Missouri, where police-involved fatalities led to unrest. The faith leaders planned to send a joint letter Thursday to Attorney General William Barr.

Fort Worth defense attorney Albert Roberts, who lost a 2018 bid for Tarrant County district attorney, said the city created a race and culture committee after a previous alleged case of police abuse. The committee spent two years talking to various communities and city officials and made recommendations, including creating a citizens review board to monitor police, but none have been implemented.

"We don't need anybody to tell us we have a problem," Roberts said.

Fort Worth officials have said that a third-party panel of national experts will review the police department and that the city will hire a police monitor who would create a community oversight board.

But as the department's tactics come under renewed scrutiny, the desire for federal standards for use of force and adequate training across the country are being championed more forcefully by activists and politicians in the wake of the Fort Worth shooting.

"Atatiana Jefferson should still be alive," Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., a Democratic presidential candidate, tweeted this week. "We need real reform, now — including federal standards for the use of force that incorporate proven strategies like de-escalation, verbal warning requirements, and the use of non-lethal alternatives."

Fort Worth shooting of Atatiana Jefferson exposes police training failures
As the department is scrutinized, the desire for federal standards for use of force and de-escalation training across the country are being championed.
Oct. 16, 2019, 7:54 PM EDT
FORT WORTH, Texas — Huddled around a lectern at an historically black church, more than two dozen faith and community leaders unified their voices Wednesday to demand federal intervention following the fatal police shooting of a black woman while she was babysitting her nephew.

The killing of Atatiana Jefferson, 28, has become the latest flash point in one of Texas' largest cities, where members of the black community want a federal investigation for what they say is a pattern that has persisted for years of excessive force and civil rights violations.

"It's time for somebody else to take control of putting in place the right mechanism to hold the city of Fort Worth and our Fort Worth Police Department accountable," said the Rev. Kyev Tatum, an activist and president of the Tarrant County chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.

Tatum and others are calling for a federal consent decree, which would involve the Department of Justice investigating the Fort Worth Police Department and mandating potential reforms, as has happened in cities such as Baltimore and Ferguson, Missouri, where police-involved fatalities led to unrest. The faith leaders planned to send a joint letter Thursday to Attorney General William Barr.

Fort Worth defense attorney Albert Roberts, who lost a 2018 bid for Tarrant County district attorney, said the city created a race and culture committee after a previous alleged case of police abuse. The committee spent two years talking to various communities and city officials and made recommendations, including creating a citizens review board to monitor police, but none have been implemented.

"We don't need anybody to tell us we have a problem," Roberts said.

Fort Worth officials have said that a third-party panel of national experts will review the police department and that the city will hire a police monitor who would create a community oversight board.

But as the department's tactics come under renewed scrutiny, the desire for federal standards for use of force and adequate training across the country are being championed more forcefully by activists and politicians in the wake of the Fort Worth shooting.

"Atatiana Jefferson should still be alive," Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., a Democratic presidential candidate, tweeted this week. "We need real reform, now — including federal standards for the use of force that incorporate proven strategies like de-escalation, verbal warning requirements, and the use of non-lethal alternatives."

In the Democratic presidential debate Tuesday night, candidate Julián Castro, former mayor of San Antonio, Texas, brought up Jefferson's killing as he explained why he rejects a mandatory gun buyback program.

"I am not going to give these police officers another reason to go door-to-door in certain communities, because police violence is also gun violence and we need to address that," he said

Samuel Walker, a professor emeritus of criminal justice at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and an expert on policy accountability, said a federal standard is necessary and would go a long way to help departments that are not at the forefront of de-escalation and other policing tactics.

"There should be federal standards on use of deadly force although I worry about it getting through Congress," Walker said, "whether Congress will adopt a strong policy."

A bill that would bar police chokeholds, introduced in 2015 after the death of New York man Eric Garner while being arrested by police, remains held up in Congress.

Meanwhile, more than 30 states have passed laws related to de-escalation, Walker said, with departments adopting use of force standards that also take into consideration mental illness and are aimed at preserving life.

"The problem is in this country we have 18,000 separate law enforcement agencies. There's no national governing standards apart from Supreme Court decisions, so it's a serious problem," Walker said. "There's a lot of reform happening, but it's being done on a piecemeal basis and too often it's crisis management."

Departments can benefit from not only laying out when officers can and cannot shoot, he added, but by implementing review boards that look at shootings over a certain period and can pinpoint recurring problems.

"Are there problems with our policy, with our training? Or is it in the supervision and that's a huge issue?" Walker asked. "What you really have to have is a comprehensive approach to use of deadly force, and most departments don't meet all of those standards."

De-escalation training was being done in Fort Worth even before the latest police-involved shooting. The department said last year that its training sessions "have been modified to provide more tools to resolve police encounters that emphasize the safety of residents and officers."

Training failures?
Fort Worth interim Police Chief Ed Kraus said Monday that he had planned to fire the officer who shot Jefferson "for violations of several policies, including our use of force policy, our de-escalation policy and unprofessional conduct."

The officer, Aaron Dean, 34, ended up resigning and was charged with murder. He joined the department in April 2018. His actions during the shooting have raised questions about whether the department's training is sufficient.

Jefferson had been up until about 2 a.m. Saturday, playing video games with her nephew in her mother's home. A neighbor, concerned that the house's front door was ajar, called a nonemergency police line to ask that a welfare check be conducted.

Police body camera footage shows the officer shining a flashlight through Jefferson's window and yelling, "Put your hands up — show me your hands," before firing a single shot at her within about three seconds. The officer did not identify himself.

He and another officer responded to the call but never announced their presence even after entering the backyard, according to an arrest warrant.

The door had been left open because the family wanted to let cooler air in, the family's attorney has said. Jefferson's nephew told investigators that when his aunt heard the noises in the backyard, she went to get her handgun, and she pointed it toward the window.

But Jefferson legally owned the gun, and Kraus said she had every right to defend herself if she believed someone was prowling around the house.

Although Jefferson's neighbor in the city's Hillside Morningside section had called for a welfare check, the officers were told it was an "open structure" call — meaning the circumstances could have ranged from a homeowner who was unresponsive to something more nefarious.

LaRhonda Young, a former Fort Worth police officer from 1992 to 2004 who had once patrolled that neighborhood, said if time permits, officers must adequately scope out a scene before knocking on a door and potentially startling someone.

Young said sensory clues, such as the lights being on inside and it being one of the first cool nights in Fort Worth in days, would be signs to assume a burglary wasn't taking place. Walking around the backyard of someone's home in the dark would only make the situation more fraught, she said.

"I can understand that this is an open structure call and you need to take precaution, but it's just that — take precaution," Young said. "Take in your surroundings."

She said it's less a failure of training that an officer would respond in the way Dean reportedly did and more that Dean, a rookie officer, is likely learning from other rookies with less than five years of experience.

Craig Miller, a former deputy chief of police in Dallas, said overnight shifts in larger police departments are typically given to junior officers who have less seniority.

Young said it's incumbent upon all officers to have better relationships in the communities they serve so they can recognize the people who live there, whether they're law-abiding residents or people engaged in criminal activity.

"When I worked out there, we knew all the dope dealers," Young said. "They knew me by my first name. They didn't like me. But we had a mutual respect. Being a rookie is no excuse — you've got to study your neighborhood."

Kraus told reporters Tuesday that the latest shooting has been a blow to relations between police and the community in Fort Worth, which has seen nine officer-involved shootings so far this year, six of them turning fatal. All but two involved in the shootings were either black or Latino.

"I likened it to a bunch of ants building an ant hill, and somebody comes with a hose and washes it away," Kraus said of the relationship. "They just have to start from scratch."

The department did not respond to a request for comment about concerns from activists and calls for federal intervention.

Policing experts familiar with Fort Worth said a federal consent decree is unlikely in the city, which has been open to community policing programs, de-escalation and racial bias training. The national focus on the department has forced it to come to grips with how officers respond, Miller said.

"I just think that you have to realize we're not perfect," Miller said, "and the more training, the more prepared we can be, the better we can be as officers. It's progressive to say you want all the outside help you can get."

We have just as many, if not more, black men telling the black youth that working for the police is working for the enemy. I've been of the mindset that we need black cops patrolling our neighborhoods. I've gone as far as to say police should be required to live in the area that they police.

Sadly, a good number of the black men and women that have gone into law enforcement have bought into the "us vs them" attitude that a lot of police adopt towards the community they are hired to serve. Giving validation to the thought that being the police equals being the enemy.
It's a fucked up mentally I don't have the answer to.

Black people 100% should be charged with patrolling their own communities. But we've successfully convinced ourselves that whoever patrols our community is the enemy.

It's a self destructive mentality that's damn near impossible to reverse

Fort Worth mayor describes actions being taken after council meeting on police shooting

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price outlined a few of the city’s plans for police oversight in response to the fatal shooting of a woman inside her home on Saturday.

In a statement Wednesday, Price said she heard from dozens of citizens atTuesday night’s city council meeting. Hundreds of people spilled out of the packed council chambers and City Hall, and 58 people were signed up to speak.

Many of them demanded reform in the city’s police department in response to the fatal shooting of Atatiana Jefferson, a black woman who was killed in her home by Fort Worth officer Aaron Dean. Others said city leaders, such as City Manager David Cooke, should resign.

Fort Worth mayor describes actions being taken after council meeting on police shooting

Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price outlined a few of the city’s plans for police oversight in response to the fatal shooting of a woman inside her home on Saturday.

In a statement Wednesday, Price said she heard from dozens of citizens atTuesday night’s city council meeting. Hundreds of people spilled out of the packed council chambers and City Hall, and 58 people were signed up to speak.

Many of them demanded reform in the city’s police department in response to the fatal shooting of Atatiana Jefferson, a black woman who was killed in her home by Fort Worth officer Aaron Dean. Others said city leaders, such as City Manager David Cooke, should resign.

“The tragic death of Ms. Jefferson has left this city broken. Some of the sentiments we heard last night – Citizens don’t feel safe, they are scared, tired and hopeless,” Price said in her statement.

An independent, third-party panel of national experts will be on board no later than Nov. 19 and will review the policies and procedures of the Fort Worth Police Department, the statement said. The panel will provide weekly updates to the city.

Price said the city is continuing to implement Race and Culture Task Force Recommendations. The task force, which was created after the 2016 arrest of Jacqueline Craig, made 20 recommendations to address race and income disparities in Fort Worth.

The recommendations included creating a civilian oversight committee for the police department and hiring a “chief equity officer” tasked with implementing diversity efforts across the city. Cooke has said Fort Worth should adopt all 20 recommendations.

The city has been finalizing plans to hire an independent police monitor — a civilian who will guide the council and city staff in forming the citizen review board.

Price said interviews for the independent police monitor and a diversity and inclusion officer will begin soon.

The interviews for an independent police monitor will start in the third week of November, and interviews with the final round of candidates for a diversity and inclusion officer will take place in October, she said in the statement.

A public forum will be held on Oct. 28.

“As I promised in my open letter to the community, we will continue to listen, and we are taking immediate action. My focus remains on healing this city and pushing forward to see that we make progress,” Price continued in her statement. “My heart remains heavy and my prayers continue to be with Ms. Jefferson’s family. We must take steps to bring justice to her family. Justice is not just a criminal prosecution but is also ensuring the tragedy of Ms. Jefferson’s death propels our change.”

The damage control campaign continue...

It's a fucked up mentally I don't have the answer to.

Black people 100% should be charged with patrolling their own communities. But we've successfully convinced ourselves that whoever patrols our community is the enemy.

It's a self destructive mentality that's damn near impossible to reverse

Agreed.

Skpr and refugee

Fwiw, I've been fucking with a lot of his posts even if I don't agree. I think his pov can be extreme at times but I try to understand his logic at a minimum

But to everyone, let's keep it civil

At the end of the day, we need to be able to disagree with our brothas in the same struggle and keep it moving respectfully
Wtf?!? I don't need anyone's permission to voice my opinion. If you on sambo church nigga coon shit then you on some sambo church nigga coon shit. I don't need anyone's permission to state the obvious and call it what it is. Any black person who instantly forgives a cold blooded convicted murderer who has an undeniable history of saying racist shit can kiss my ass. Foh thinking I need your permission to say it.

Lol at these name taking ass niggas. Lol at these imma tell massa if you keep talking about us ass niggas. I said it and I meant every word of it.

justin-3o7TKR87TYB2HhGqly

Last edited:
Cops needing more training is bullshit because 9 times outta 10, these officers don't pull that shit with white suspects.
Cops needing more training is bullshit cause whenever it's a black cop accused of something justice suddenly happens.
Cops needing more training is also bullshit because EVERYTHING they need has already been taught them, black people don't need special treatment.
Cops needing more training can also be a hustle as it opens the door to giving them more money to conduct the "training".

The problem is that the police officers aren't being severely punished.
They're allowing documented racist to wear the badge and protecting their corrupts cops when they kill black people.
None of that is a training issue.
"More training" is essentially the "mental illness" card white people pull with mass shooters.

Black cops patrolling black neighborhoods being a solution is just wishful thinking.
They are BLUE before they are black in many cases.
That would not change anything if severe consequences aren't enforced when they commit crimes against us.

And I suspect other problem is that the police union has far too much influence within politics.

Last edited:
Wacked you for pretending something abnormal happened in here.

Whats extreme? It boils down to a handful of us, 6 or 7 of us who are less tolerant and trusting of the enemy than the rest of yall, that's all
you can be that and still be respectful to someone HERE on this BLACK platform without all the extra shit, is the bigger point

we already get the shit 10x worse from other people, we dont need to be at each other over a difference of opinions

Wtf?!? I don't need anyone's permission to voice my opinion. If you on sambo church nigga coon shit then you on some sambo church nigga coon shit. I don't need anyone's permission to state the obvious and call it what it is. Any black person who instantly forgives a cold blooded convicted murderer who has an undeniable history of saying racist shit can kiss my ass. Foh thinking I need your permission to say it.

Lol at these name taking ass niggas. Lol at these imma tell massa if you keep talking about us ass niggas. I said it and I meant every word of it.

justin-3o7TKR87TYB2HhGqly

my guy, you dont have to get all rowdy with me

find me one place where i said you needed permission to voice your opinion

i dont have to believe in the same views as you to have a discussion about the same topic

sometimes ya'll be so quick to just skim through posts and dismiss them but when it happens to you, you dont like it

i'll say it before since it appears you overlooked it in my post you quoted

I've agreed with some of the things you've said in here...I've also disagreed with some things. I would rather use my brain and energy trying to find a common ground with you vs being at odds and we end up trading insults towards each other, but thats just me

Not one Christian that posted expressed the bullshit stances that ya'll keep throwing out.

If you browse other social media platforms you will find people, including black people, expressing the stances we spoke of.
Many who are, or are likely, of the Christian belief.
And keep in mind that white supremacist are also Christians expressing the stances we spoke of.
Some examples may have been posted in that thread I think.
Regardless, just because it didn't happen here, doesn't mean it shouldn't have been included in the conversation.

Last edited:
Back