Welcome To aBlackWeb

Fat Joe’s comments on Blackness in Latin America spark discussion

Fat Joe Thinks All Latinos Are Black

Fat Joe feels that all Latinos are Black.

On Thursday (Sept. 19), the Puerto Rican rapper stopped by Hot 97's Ebro in the Morning for a new interview to promote his new single "Yes" with Cardi B and Anuel AA. During the interview, the origins of certain types of Hispanic music came up, and during that part of the conversation, Joe said that all Latino music originates from Africa, and all Latinos are Black.

"Let's speak about Latinos not being Black," Joe said. "Latinos are Black. In Cuba, at one time, there was eight million Cubans. Five million, unfortunately, were slaves. Three million were actual Cubans, and they integrated and had babies. Same thing with Puerto Rico when you go to Loíza. And when you talk about Santeria, that came from the motherland Africa. Sometimes, Latinos may even identify themselves with African and black culture more than black people. This ain't no crazy thing. Fat Joe ain't on crack. He know what he talking about."

As mentioned up top, the conversation stemmed from Fat Joe's new song "Yes," which samples Willie Colón and Héctor Lavoe's "Aguanile." "Aguanile" is a classic song which both the show's host Ebro Darden and Joe acknowledged that some people may be sensitive about him re-imagining.

"It might be a disrespectful sample for some..." Joe said. "I'm not lying. I love Hector so much, I get it when somebody might be like, 'Damn that nigga touched the national anthem of the Santeria!' I get it!"

Ebro then broke down why people would feel that way, noting the song's connection to African heritage. "What he's speaking to is African ancestral heritage," Ebro said. "That music and that song is the connection of Africa."

Interestingly, Cardi B previously echoed similar sentiments about Latinos and Back people.

"It's like, 'Cardi's Latin, she's not Black,'" Cardi said during an Instagram Live session back in June. "And it's like, 'Bro, my features don't come from...white people fucking, okay?' And they always wanna race-bait when it comes to me...I have Afro features. 'Oh, but your parents are light-skinned...all right, but my grandparents aren't."

I'll sit this one out until we define what black is.
Its always someone stating what black isn't.
So it must be a definition.

I think when outsiders hear the us use black they think we just using American description. But no not all Latinos are black. It’s probably more that have black relatives than care to admit. And when people speak on racial issues the black Latinos have stated it’s real

I think when outsiders hear the us use black they think we just using American description. But no not all Latinos are black. It’s probably more that have black relatives than care to admit. And when people speak on racial issues the black Latinos have stated it’s real
Is it only real cuz they can't "pass" or mask their culture? I'm only speaking on those who don't want to be linked to anything black or African.

But imma leave now

Is it only real cuz they can't "pass" or mask their culture? I'm only speaking on those who don't want to be linked to anything black or African.

But imma leave now

I think it’s like that. Like if they don’t look like Jeniffer Lopez or Cameron Diaz then they gotta hear slick shit. But I think that’s with women and hair and shit. Idk if black Latin men get same treatment

I think it’s like that. Like if they don’t look like Jeniffer Lopez or Cameron Diaz then they gotta hear slick shit. But I think that’s with women and hair and shit. Idk if black Latin men get same treatment
Tego Calderon and Felix Trinidad.

Bruh because I don’t know what you mean by the question at all and you don’t explain
Giving out black cards
Being raised in the burbs
Not having a swag with your walk
Can't dribble
Can't dance
Not enough bass in your voice....

Among other things.
While it may be jokes.....words are heard and seen. Actions are seen.

Easy to allow other to be considered black while one wrong decision or veiw and your blackness can be questioned regardless.

N-lover and wigger. But never whiteness questioned that I know of.

Can I get an Asian pass with my dark skin? Even with dark Asians?

But my problem is not with them. It's with us. We can't blame the younger generation when we allowing who can come and go as they please and claim black and say the n word when it's monetary value then leave when they kids fed.

To control my rant....let me ask.

What's black associated with?

Giving out black cards
Being raised in the burbs
Not having a swag with your walk
Can't dribble
Can't dance
Not enough bass in your voice....

Among other things.
While it may be jokes.....words are heard and seen. Actions are seen.

Easy to allow other to be considered black while one wrong decision or veiw and your blackness can be questioned regardless.

N-lover and wigger. But never whiteness questioned that I know of.

Can I get an Asian pass with my dark skin? Even with dark Asians?

But my problem is not with them. It's with us. We can't blame the younger generation when we allowing who can come and go as they please and claim black and say the n word when it's monetary value then leave when they kids fed.

To control my rant....let me ask.

What's black associated with?

Oh ok I see your point no further debate. We boxed ourselves in for sure. Niggas couldn’t even like comic books and anime 20 years ago but now we got black spaces everywhere. We just gotta be careful

Oh ok I see your point no further debate. We boxed ourselves in for sure. Niggas couldn’t even like comic books and anime 20 years ago but now we got black spaces everywhere. We just gotta be careful
im not going to pretend like i was always seeing it like this......but now that i do.....i get pissed at how alot of us see each other.

im pissed at what the media and our own did to us.

i legit used to laugh at africans as a kid.
black as my ass is.

i was uneducated.
but now we dont have to be.

we are smarter than the previous generation.

we need to act like it.

while i celebrate black excellence......is should be the norm and required.

The way Latinos mixed is similar to Black Americans, but there are some stark differences.

Latinos have Native, white, and Black ancestry. Most, but not all, have Native in their ancestry. Many of those also have African in their ancestry, but not all of them. Same for white, which is the easiest to spot on the surface because most of those folks have a light complexion.

A lot of them families in Latin America are so mixed a reunion would have people of all backgrounds showing up; Fat Joe's family could very well be like that. Joe prolly got a great grandmother or grandfather back in PR or Cuba that's black as night and might have even spent time with that part of the family.

Most, but not all, Black Americans will likely find White and maybe Native in their ancestry if they look far enough back. As an example, y'all already know I'm part Native with the tribal registration and everything. On Wednesday I was talking to my moms about the family we have in Texas (her side of the family) and I told her that I googled the family name and found a shitton of white folks, and a lot of the older women looked just like her mother and aunts. Grandma was a lite-brite with white features and when I was about 3 or 4 I asked my mother why she was white and we weren't, so I always suspected something going on. Turns out there's a whoooole lotta white on that side of the family and my grandmother and her siblings were 1st cousins with a rather well known (pop culture-wise) FLOTUS from back inna day. I was shown pics of clearly White folks and some that were half Black and White but leaned more to the white side feature-wise, which explained everything.

ok...last post frfr.

for the night. i got work to do.

no diss to any latinos here. im not advocating violence against no one.

but how many Latin Kings, trinis and Netas have the 9treys took down?

how many black people did the half mexican half puerto rican rainbow haired kid disrespect saying n-word and take down?
how many black people did he cause to turn against each other?
how easy was it really?

an hes untouched.

His girl got smashed an he litst a few dollars.....but he destroyed generations.

Last edited:
im not going to pretend like i was always seeing it like this......but now that i do.....i get pissed at how alot of us see each other.

im pissed at what the media and our own did to us.

i legit used to laugh at africans as a kid.
black as my ass is.

i was uneducated.
but now we dont have to be.

we are smarter than the previous generation.

we need to act like it.

while i celebrate black excellence......is should be the norm and required.

And now we got Africans and Caribbeans who felt some type of way trying to come for us

Back