Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Facing a labor shortage, fast-food restaurants are increasingly turning to robots to man the fryer

Stuff from 40 years ago in a giant automotive assembly line is a horrible example for you to use, but it lowkey proves 1 of my points. They spend money to prevent raising wages and claim they cant afford it, wages dont get raised, then as they silently spend money figuring how to cut jobs anyway. Robots were coming to certain assembly plants regardless of pay. Its literally impossible for a human to weld as fast and as accurate as a robot. Execs knew this, but where pretending like it was UAW's fault.

As for the second part, from just reading that I can tell that you dont really care or follow any of this. Just repeat the same thing you always say without reading up on anything. Seems like in your mind you're right and unless someone is agreeing with you, you dont care to listen.

Because if you were discussing this since 2013 you'd really notice that since then the Federal min wage has been the same. Its still $7.25. So how have people played themselves when they've been calling for an increased min wage, and havent gotten it?
Seems to me, the people that have played themselves are the ones that have been saying if they raise the min wage, they'd give jobs robots. They didnt raise shit and still gave jobs to robots. How do you explain that?

Bruh, if the people had said "give us a $10-$11" federal minimum, and the legislation to put that into place was introduced in the House, I'm quite sure it would have passed and we really wouldn't be having this whole robots convo. The catalyst that lit a fire under the suits to finally give in to robots in fast food and whatnot was twofold: 1. Constant demands for a $15/hr minimum wage which they were unwilling to pay and 2. Staff shortages thanks to this mass exodus from these jobs we've been seeing for the last year and a half or so linked to that same $15/hr demand.

Now you have the conditions to where corporate suits are like "aiight... what are our options?" and here's the robot vendors with a solution that will pay for itself over a couple of years. Those companies that decided, instead, to raise their starting pay to $10+/hr have people working, those that didn't are having staffing shortages.

I just remembered something else. You're standing up for the same American automotive companies in the 70's & 80's that purposely made low quality cars, just so they could make even more profit from production AND from people having to constantly replace parts.

In the 70s & 80s the big 3 where Kings and Japanese cares werent even really a factor then. The main reason people started buying Japanese cars was cuz they were more reliable, fuel efficient, & high quality.

American execs fucked their own company just to line their own pockets and they've been trying play catch up since the 90s from all the customers they've lost cuz of their antics.

The Japanese paid attention to the market in the late 70's and offered cars that made sense during the oil crisis. American companies kept pushing massive land barges on the people when what we needed were smaller, fuel efficient cars. Our attempts at smaller were shitty 'cause we never had to make cars like that, so it was a half-assed effort.

The low quality shit really didn't set in until the early 80's with GM's incessant brand engineering where they would take one "platform" and try to spread it out over every single nameplate they had. This is how the Cadillac Cimmaron came to the market: Nothing more than a Chevy Cavalier with a Cadillac badge on the grill. Very few of GM's nameplates had their own engineering teams too. Chevy had one dedicated to the Corvette, but nothing else. Buick had one that ultimately gave us the Quad-4 engine, the Regal Turbo/Grand National/GNX, and Buick Reatta, Pontiac had one that developed the Fiero and also threw turbocharged 4 cylinder engines into the Grand Am and Sunbird, Cadillac had one that worked on the Allante. After the Allante, Fiero, and Reatta died, so did those in-house engineering teams. The cars themselves could have been better had GM allowed each nameplate to engineer each platform to better fit the brand image, and that happened on some level with cars like the Grand National, Monte Carlo SS, and the Olds 442/Hurst Olds.

Plus, you had the factory workers themselves and this is the part I personally witnessed coming from a GM heavy city. A lot of the assembly line workers gave no fucks about their jobs because they knew that if there was a problem, management had to take it to the union before any disciplinary action could be taken. Niggas was drinking on the job left and right, fucking off on the regular because they could, and all manner of bullshit. The running joke in the early 80's was never to buy a GM car built on a Friday or a Monday because on Friday they were already drunk and/or high as shit for the weekend and on Monday they were still hung over from the weekend. And the workers were getting tore off something nice for those days. It was nothing to be able to come straight out of high school and start in the plant and make enough money to take care of a family. That is until the quality issues affected GM's bottom line and they started shutting down plants to save money. Ford and Chrysler also had the exact same issues for the exact same reasons: Brand engineering and highly paid lazy as fuck workers doing just enough to get through the day.

The execs wasn't 100% to blame, the assembly line workers shared just as much of the blame 'cause they were the ones building the shit. Back then it was considered "normal" to buy a brand new GM, Ford, or Chrysler and have that bitch back at the dealership in under a week whereas the big 3 Japanese cars might not see the inside of a dealership until the next scheduled oil change. When folks got tired of American quality issues, they bought Japanese. The Japanese became a problem in the 80's because not only were their cars high quality, they made shit that people wanted that the Big 3 simply didn't offer.

There’s not a labor shortage.

Not in the sense that they're making it out to be.

It's just that more people are tired of working bullshit jobs for bullshit wages.

So, basically, the shortage is just in those types of jobs.

That's why there's a push to bring all these immigrants in.

Not because they're quote/unquote............"willing to do the jobs that most americans won't."

But because they're willing to accept subpar wages and do those jobs for a lot less.

They keep making it sound like theres a ton of unemployed people getting govt benefits that refuse to work.

But facts is facts. Unemployment is lower than its ever been.

Yeah, that's another excuse they've been pushing.

Claiming people were living off extended unemployment/pandemic benefits.

Those benefits ended a long time ago.

They're keeping quiet about the real reason because they're afraid more people might start to think the same way.

Last edited:
I had a broad at the grocery store lookin at me like I was speaking Chinese or some shit when she tried to get me to go to a self checkout and I said "Nah I ain't doin that, I don't work here."

Only place I don't do self-checkout is when I go to Food Lion..........and that's because they don't have it.

Too many cashiers with shitty attitudes that I don't feel like dealing with.

Mainly, because I like my things bagged a certain way.......and they'll catch an attitude whenever I'd tell them my preference.

So, in self-checkout, I usually have at least 2 plastic bags for every item I purchase.

For refrigerated/frozen products, I use 5 bags a piece.

At Kroger, I've even started to use their paper bags to bag up all the items I bagged up with plastic bags.

But we've been having this conversation since 2013 on the IC and ain't nobody got shit yet and we're closing in on 10 years. Maybe if they had came like "Aiight, $10-$11 minimum wage" they would have had that long ago and it would have been a stepping stone to the $15 they been yelling about. But all this time and no traction and now robots and self-service kiosks are appearing in those jobs; they all played themselves and it ain't gonna get any better.

Putin gif.gif

We tried to tell 'em.

Bruh, if the people had said "give us a $10-$11" federal minimum, and the legislation to put that into place was introduced in the House, I'm quite sure it would have passed and we really wouldn't be having this whole robots convo. The catalyst that lit a fire under the suits to finally give in to robots in fast food and whatnot was twofold: 1. Constant demands for a $15/hr minimum wage which they were unwilling to pay and 2. Staff shortages thanks to this mass exodus from these jobs we've been seeing for the last year and a half or so linked to that same $15/hr demand.

Now you have the conditions to where corporate suits are like "aiight... what are our options?" and here's the robot vendors with a solution that will pay for itself over a couple of years. Those companies that decided, instead, to raise their starting pay to $10+/hr have people working, those that didn't are having staffing shortages.

I think the thing is it was proven or some legislator said minimum wage should be made to catch up with the cost of living. 10 to 11 an hour may have been cool for 2012 but it’s 2022 and only reason I see they don’t want to pay more is greed. Yea they can get robots and people would just leave that industry except for high school kids. At least for fast food. But what about the minimum wage jobs that won’t use robots

Not in the sense that they're making it out to be.

It's just that more people are tired of working bullshit jobs for bullshit wages.

So, basically, the shortage is just in those types of jobs.

That's why there's a push to bring all these immigrants in.

Not because they're quote/unquote............"willing to do the jobs that most americans won't."

But because they're willing to accept subpar wages and do those jobs for a lot less.

Facts! That used to be my thing about immigration folks would say they work the jobs Americans don’t want and they use it talk down on black Americans. But Americans not accepting low wage for back breaking work. Wtf I’m do blue color work under the table

I think the thing is it was proven or some legislator said minimum wage should be made to catch up with the cost of living. 10 to 11 an hour may have been cool for 2012 but it’s 2022 and only reason I see they don’t want to pay more is greed. Yea they can get robots and people would just leave that industry except for high school kids. At least for fast food. But what about the minimum wage jobs that won’t use robots

That's what I'm getting at; had the $15/hr crowd paid attention to economists who said in 2013 "if minimum wage was $10-$11/hr it would then have the same buying power as the 60's, when it was at it's peak" then that's likely what they would have got instead of nothing. It's a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. They wouldn't budge and kept yelling for $15/hr, so now here we are having the same damn convo in 2022.

And the situation is worse now because of the economic fallout from the pandemic.

It took me 40 mins to get my chipotle last night

Pickup or delivery?

If it's delivery, and you're using something like Doordash or Grubhub...........it's hard to get drivers to take the order if the tip isn't high enough.

Then again, it could've just been a busy night.

Interestingly enough the human employees that are still there will pick up some usefull trouble shooting and minor repair skills..done enough factory work to know those machines ain't petfect..and this with companies who.been using using them forever..maintenance will get tired of doing simple repairs and who knows maybe the McDonald's worker of the future will need some kind-of tech degree or background to get a job

Only place I don't do self-checkout is when I go to Food Lion..........and that's because they don't have it.

Too many cashiers with shitty attitudes that I don't feel like dealing with.

Mainly, because I like my things bagged a certain way.......and they'll catch an attitude whenever I'd tell them my preference.

So, in self-checkout, I usually have at least 2 plastic bags for every item I purchase.

For refrigerated/frozen products, I use 5 bags a piece.

At Kroger, I've even started to use their paper bags to bag up all the items I bagged up with plastic bags.
bruh.........pretty sure it might be you.......

Thats an autism amount of bags for no reason. When they ban plastic bags, ur bout to be sick

Excecpt, no. Non of this happened. Not only are you mixing shit from now (also a couple years back)and presenting it like it also happened the same exact way in 2012. For some reason you're also acting like companies care about people and share holders are reasonable and not greedy. You doing exactly what i said you were doing in my previous post.

On June 25, 2009, Congressman Green (TX-9) introduced H.R.
3041, the Living American Wage (LAW) Act of 2009. The bill
would have required the federal minimum wage to be adjusted
every four years to a level equal to 15 percent above the wage
level required for a full-time worker to earn above the poverty
threshold for a family of two. It had four Democratic
cosponsors and was referred to the House Committee on Education
and Labor. No further action was taken on this bill.

On February 25, 2011, Congressman Green (TX-9) introduced
H.R. 283, the Living American Wage (LAW) Act of 2011. It had 12
Democratic cosponsors. It was referred to the House Committee
on Education and the Workforce, where it was referred to the
Subcommittee on Workforce Protections. On June 29, 2012
Congressman Green (TX-9) introduced a new version of the bill
as H.R. 6076, the Original Living American Wage (LAW) Act. Both
bills would have required the federal minimum wage to be
adjusted every four years to a level equal to 15 percent above
the wage level required for a full-time worker to earn above
the poverty threshold for a family of two. It had no cosponsors
and was referred to the House Committee on Education and the
Workforce, where it was referred to the Subcommittee on
Workforce Protections. No further action was taken on either
bill.

On July 26, 2012, Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Congressman
Miller (CA-7) introduced S. 3453 and H.R. 6211, the Fair
Minimum Wage Act of 2012, respectively. The bills would have
raised the federal minimum wage to $8.10 three months after
enactment, $8.95 one year after the effective date, and $9.80
two years after the effective date. The bills would also have
indexed future increases in the minimum wage to the Consumer
Price Index for all Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers
(CPI-W) and raised the tipped minimum wage to 70 percent of the
full minimum wage. S. 3453 had 15 Democratic cosponsors and one
Independent cosponsor and was referred to the Senate HELP
Committee. H.R. 6211 had 117 Democratic cosponsors and was
referred to the House Committee on Education and the Workforce,
where it was referred to the Subcommittee on Workforce
Protections. No further action was taken on either bill.

On March 5, 2013, Senator Harkin introduced S. 460, the
Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2013. It would have raised the federal
minimum wage to $8.20 three months after enactment, $9.15 one
year after the effective date, and $10.10 two years after the
effective date. The bill would also have indexed future
increases in the minimum wage to the CPI-W and raised the
tipped minimum wage to 70 percent of the full minimum wage. It
had 32 Democratic cosponsors and one Independent cosponsor. It
was referred to the Senate HELP Committee.

Thats not even all of them. Page is filled with attempts to raise it federally & noticeably under $15, but these companies didnt negotiate shit and made sure it got killed.

Now for this, which was mainly a social media movement. A movement that a lot of bitter people mocked, but one that actually got results, not federally but on a state level in several places. Meanwhile a large portion of the older generation would say the younger ones entitled, lazy, & greedy, because they demand to be treated like a human beings whilst living in the most powerful and wealthiest country in the world.

The Fight for $15 is an American political movement advocating for the minimum wage to be raised to USD$15 per hour. The federal minimum wage was last set at $7.25 per hour in 2009. The movement has involved strikes by child care, home healthcare, airport, gas station, convenience store, and fast food workers for increased wages and the right to form a labor union. The "Fight for $15" movement started in 2012, in response to workers' inability to cover their costs on such a low salary, as well as the stressful work conditions of many of the service jobs which pay the minimum wage.

The movement has seen successes on the state and local level. California, Massachusetts, New York (downstate only), Maryland, New Jersey, Illinois, Connecticut, Florida, and Delaware have passed laws that gradually raise their state minimum wage to at least $15 per hour.[3][4] Major cities such as San Francisco, New York City and Seattle, where the cost of living is significantly higher, have already raised their municipal minimum wage to $15 per hour with some exceptions. On the federal level, the $15 proposal has become significantly more popular among Democratic politicians in the past few years, and was added to the party's platform in 2016 after Bernie Sanders advocated for it in his presidential campaign.[5]

In 2019, the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives passed the Raise the Wage Act, which would have gradually raised the minimum wage to $15 per hour. It was not taken up in the Republican-controlled Senate. In January 2021, Democrats in the Senate and House of Representatives reintroduced the bill.[6] In February 2021, the Congressional Budget Office released a report on the Raise the Wage Act of 2021 which estimated that incrementally raising the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2025 would benefit 17 million workers, but would also reduce employment by 1.4 million people.[7][8][9] On February 27, 2021, the Democratic-controlled House passed the American Rescue Plan pandemic relief package, which included a gradual minimum wage increase to $15 per hour.[10] The measure was ultimately removed from the Senate version of the bill.[11]

I already know whats going to be ignored so a single point can be focused on.

Excecpt, no. Non of this happened. Not only are you mixing shit from now (also a couple years back)and presenting it like it also happened the same exact way in 2012. For some reason you're also acting like companies care about people and share holders are reasonable and not greedy. You doing exactly what i said you were doing in my previous post.

Thats not even all of them. Page is filled with attempts to raise it federally & noticeably under $15, but these companies didnt negotiate shit and made sure it got killed.

Now for this, which was mainly a social media movement. A movement that a lot of bitter people mocked, but one that actually got results, not federally but on a state level in several places. Meanwhile a large portion of the older generation would say the younger ones entitled, lazy, & greedy, because they demand to be treated like a human beings whilst living in the most powerful and wealthiest country in the world.

I already know whats going to be ignored so a single point can be focused on.

Stopped at "acting like companies care."

show me where I even alluded to that shit.

People want and are willing to work. Right now there is a power struggle going on between employees and employers. Employees are no longer willing to put with employers shit as much as they used to so they are walking off jobs. Employers because how things used be don't want to or really know how to face the new reality of having to respect their employees and some of their wishes.

Did you not see that email letter from some executives at Bank of America. It basically said that employees have too much power right now and they have to figure out how to change that because they don't like. Not because it's actually hurting business just cause they don't like it because they don't have as much control over masses of people like they used to.

There is not a labor shortage. The labor force just ain't going for anything anymore and the wealthy don't like it. That is all this shit is.
And they can thank the lockdowns for that. Woke people up to a lot of things, including how even tho they had very little money, they were happy because they didn't have to deal with their employers. Younger generations especially, because they don't have job loyalty because as they describe, that was only a trap they used on older gens to keep them there, otherwise it's more profitable to keep moving companies, especially rn.

Back