Welcome To aBlackWeb

Fabolous paid Lil Wayne $100,000 for a feature in 1999, Lil Wayne recorded his verse in 15 minutes and left immediately

Makes me wonder how much niggas made off songs that never dropped?
I imagine it depends on a lot of different things. If they're both high level artists, like say Kendrick and Jay, then they might not be charging each other. Whereas a new artist trying to get on probably has to pay some kinda flat fee and if they don't release it then it's on them.

Basically, it's like deciding if you want your money upfront or on the back end. Obviously if you don't think it's going anywhere there's not much point in backend.

If that was the case I think they would've at least spent some time in studio chopping it up with him and building some kinda relationship.

Plus I don't think Cash Money was concerned with mixtapes at the time, considering they had just signed that $100 million deal with Universal

$30 million dollar deal,I thought Fab didnt release his first album until 2001 though ? In 1999 werent they callin him

Fabolous Sport ?

I imagine it depends on a lot of different things. If they're both high level artists, like say Kendrick and Jay, then they might not be charging each other. Whereas a new artist trying to get on probably has to pay some kinda flat fee and if they don't release it then it's on them.

Basically, it's like deciding if you want your money upfront or on the back end. Obviously if you don't think it's going anywhere there's not much point in backend.

Nah, dudes like Kendrick and Jay charge each other. That's how they make their money. Everybody knows a Kendrick feat Jay or vice versa is worth tens of millions of dollars in the long run. Remember the copyright of a song expires 75 years after the artist (or whoever owns the royalties) dies. That means that Big and Pac's royalties won't expire for another 50 years.

The way it works is Kendrick pays Jay, say, $500k for a verse and the label puts up the money, then 6 months later Jay pays $500k Kendrick for a verse and the label puts up the money. In the end they both get $500k from each other's label.

When you make the calculations, you have to consider how much money the song will make over the next 100 years. That's why a Lil Wayne verse was worth $100k in 1999.

$30 million dollar deal,I thought Fab didnt release his first album until 2001 though ? In 1999 werent they callin him

Fabolous Sport ?

Yeah this is his first song. Not sure if it made the album but I had the 12"

If his label marketed Fab's album properly, they should have made a few million by now (2020) possibly upwards of $10M

$100k for a Wayne verse was worth it imo.

You're basing that on what exactly?

1. The initial sales when the album dropped

2. All of the recoupable money that he made touring for his first album

3. International sales and touring while promoting the first album

4. Residual sales (from 2002 - present)

5. If anybody sampled anything from that album, or even used a couple of bars

6. If any of those songs were in a movie, TV show or video game

7. If any of those songs were played at a sporting event (arena/stadium)

^^^ Those figures add up if it was a decent album. But admittedly I actually had the album on vinyl and I never listened to it.

And from my research, the album dropped in 2001 so whoever said Wayne came to the studio in 1999 may have been mistaken.

Back