Welcome To aBlackWeb

Experiences with the disabled

Bobjones

It's not often we as the general, able bodied populace get a chance to interact with the disabled. Unless we've got afflicted relatives or work in a relevant career, we're fairly shut off to them.

Many intellectually disabled ppl aren't high functioning enough to be independent, so their daily lives are shuttered out of sight. Institutionalized, to varying extents.

Physical disabilities are more commonly present, but I'd venture a guess most haven't spent quality time interacting with them to understand them or their world. Not with the obstacle of our contrasting conditions and unequal access to opportunities getting in the way.

I'll let it be known that I've spent considerable time and effort with a disabled person and it's left a mark on me borne of the utmost respect and admiration.

It's made me curious... What are the perceptions and experiences others have had regarding these ppl who are so often out of sight and out of mind (uh, no pun intended)?

Do you have any scary, intriguing, funny, heartwarming, etc experiences with mentally or physically disabled ppl? Let's dial up a lil appreciation for these folks. Whether at their expense or not? Your choice.

Last edited:
The closest elementary school to my house was purpose built for these guys so I have a lot of experience with them disability niggas

On of my ex’s daughters is autistic. Non-verbal. She’s a loveable little thing.

If you fuck up her routine in any small way, she ain’t with it. I remember a few years ago when they changed the way the Cinnamon Toast Crunch box look. Just the box. The actual cereal was exactly the same. She was NOT happy. We pulled the box outage pantry and she looked at that shit like 'Y'all niggas can't fool me. The box is different. This ain't the same cereal and I'm starting to get mad. FIX IT!'. Luckily they changed the packaging back a whole later and she was cool.

havent dealt with it much at all

very grateful for that....i know people with kids or siblings with disabilities

I work with the disabled population as a case manager... First with children now with adults. My son is a part of the population, which makes my job more meaningful and important to me

Ever since you said you lied for reactions it aint been the same...

Shame
It wasn't for me tho.... It was for y'all.... Y'all loved it and I just wanted to make y'all happy....

This what happens when you tell the niggaz the truth. ??‍♂️

Just keep lying..... Just keep lying

i had a blind friend i used to guide who bust our asses in MK. this man was using audio cues alone for the most part ?.. determining where our characters were on screen by listening in on left-right stereo sound panning, and how to counter attack based on if the sound he heard was a punch, kick or grapple. he'd rarely lose unless we were dicks and chose a stage and character that was too dark for him to perceive contrast.

there wasn't even shame to feel losing to a blind guy, it was just pure respect. cuz that's what it is man. when one sense goes the others gotta pick up the slack. u just gotta adapt.

Last edited:
Back