Welcome To aBlackWeb

Breaking News Evanston, IL First US City To Fund Reparations, Promises $10 Million Over Next Decade

The first municipal reparations fund in the United States has passed in Evanston, Illinois, a city north of Chicago.

Evanston, Illinois, a city roughly 13 miles north of Chicago, has just made history as the first city in the United States to officially commit to funding reparations to its Black residents. The concept of reparations has long been a pressing topic in politics and Black culture, and in recent years, talks about reparations have increased and reached major stages. In a ground-breaking move, Evanston, IL is now the first city in America to turn those negotiations and debates into bonafide action.

According to ABC News, the city's reparations resolution first passed in 2019, and today, the city committed $10 million over the next decade in an attempt to repay Black residents for the wrongs and accumulated losses incurred by generations of racism. Spearheaded by Evanston 5th Ward Alderman Robin Rue Simmons, the resolution will start dispersing $25,000 payments to eligible Black residents this year that they can use for housing.

Evanston's reparations will continue to be funded over the decade by a new 3% sales tax on freshly legal recreational marijuana sales. Regarding the matter, Robin Rue Simmons says, "It's the most appropriate use for that sales tax. In our city, 70% of the marijuana arrests were in the Black community. And we are 16% of the community. All studies show that Blacks and white [people] consume cannabis at the same rate."

Simmons and Evanston, IL's work is a historical feat for the United States, so stay tuned to see whether more cities across the country follow suit.

Last edited:
Black Americans reparations look like what the Jews are getting what the 5 dollar Indians are getting that's what black American reparations looks like. This isn't anything to celebrate its here to educate.

I love the effort... would more be better yes, but how much does that city pull in... I can't see them doing too much better than that. But reparations should come from city, state, and fed

To be honest, the majority of any reparations should be in the form of grants and programs. There's no way you can cut checks to 6-10 MILLION Black Americans and expect the majority of them to be like "aight, y'all cool" after 500+ years of fuckshit by the US territories the subsequent and gov't.

That Chappelle skit might've been funny, but that shit would be real as shit if every Black American descendant of slaves suddenly got a 500K-600K check. Since the majority of us are financial nitwits - sorry to say - most of them would be broke a year later.

100K to all of us would be more acceptable, with the rest going towards restoration of housing developments, education, and overall society development.

I don't kno' the details but ideally (I think, happy for someone more knowledgeable to tell me otherwise) the state would build a bunch of houses/apartments and then offer those to blacks who would have the option of usin' that reparations money

I don't kno' the details but ideally (I think, happy for someone more knowledgeable to tell me otherwise) the state would build a bunch of houses/apartments and then offer those to blacks who would have the option of usin' that reparations money
But its the city alone doing this... Illinois i don't think went with this

To be honest, the majority of any reparations should be in the form of grants and programs. There's no way you can cut checks to 6-10 MILLION Black Americans and expect the majority of them to be like "aight, y'all cool" after 500+ years of fuckshit by the US territories the subsequent and gov't.

That Chappelle skit might've been funny, but that shit would be real as shit if every Black American descendant of slaves suddenly got a 500K-600K check. Since the majority of us are financial nitwits - sorry to say - most of them would be broke a year later.

100K to all of us would be more acceptable, with the rest going towards restoration of housing developments, education, and overall society development.

I’m sorry but fuck all that and have some faith. Black people arebt that bad with money man like that’s a very defeatist type of mindset.

Back