Welcome To aBlackWeb

Netflix Dolemite Is My Name

I'm I missing something here? I'm too young to know anything about dolemite beyond the name and I never heard of Rudy Ray Moore before this movie. I watched about 20 mins of the movie and couldn't get into it. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy but struggled to find a laugh. I left about the part for his album cover. Feels like the only people that this was made for was the folks old enough to have grown up on Dolemite and other blaxploitation films. Old heads help a brotha out. I'm I too young (31) or I'm I just missing something?

Your older Than me and I enjoyed but I Al's made it my task to go through those old movies so I know lmoat everybody

Y'all overhyping this one. Movie was average at best and y'all being prisoners of the moment. The acting was solid and the story has been told a thousand times (chase your dreams). There was nothing special about it and I'm sure most will not watch it again. 5/10 at best for me and Eddie and his list of bad movies continues... shrugs

Not gon lie, I had this exact feeling the first time I watched Life, with Martin and Eddie.

Then as I got a lil wiser I realized there wasn't anything wrong with the movie, just the way it was marketed. Them brothas brought the laughs, but also was doin some solid acting in that flick too.

Idk man. Maybe adjust your expectations. Don't go in expecting some knee slapping comedy.

It's really just a movie with some good performances about a brotha tryna make a dream happen despite the fact that it seemed that he'd already missed his shot. And in it he remained a good dude throughout.

Regardless of what you think about the actual Dolemite movie as a film, it was a product of its time.

Yea I can feel you on Life. Thing is Life was funny in a lot of aspects that Dolemite just isn't and LIFE takes place further back. I'll finish it after I've had time to let my expectations die down a little but Dolemite the character isn't funny enough to carry me through this movie.

Aye fam there's always gotta be the one....

If he don't like it he don't like it. I would say this is definitely one of the top movies that have dropped this year (maybe that isn't saying much considering 2019 was slower for good films than previous years).

What I liked about this film was that unlike most biopics where they focus more on the gloomy events or personality traits, this one had a "never give up" feel to it. He may not have been Will Smith or Denzel but he was a superstar amongst the common man, a ghetto star and a symbol of what's possible if you put your mind to it. He found a place for himself and something that worked really well.

See I can get behind that if that was the way the movie was presented instead of a laugh fest it wasn't. They only released the movie in theaters so it could get a possible oscar buzz.

See I can get behind that if that was the way the movie was presented instead of a laugh fest it wasn't. They only released the movie in theaters so it could get a possible oscar buzz.

Oscars hasn't updated their criteria yet for films that are released on DSP's but not in theatres yet?

Oscars hasn't updated their criteria yet for films that are released on DSP's but not in theatres yet?

i believe it has to be released in theatres for it to even be considered. It can have a small/limited release but no I don't think they count Streaming services for nominations.

damn... not surprising tho.. these established entities are always the last to catch up it seems like

Didn’t Roma a Netflix movie win best picture this past Oscars?

snatched from Roma Wiki
"While Netflix has not publicly disclosed box-office figures for Roma, sources deduced that the film made $90,000–120,000 from three theaters in its opening weekend

snatched from Roma Wiki
"While Netflix has not publicly disclosed box-office figures for Roma, sources deduced that the film made $90,000–120,000 from three theaters in its opening weekend
I wasn’t refuting that it didn’t have a theatrical run I was just answering Sion’s statement about if Netflix movies count

GOAT shit.

I'm putting this in my Eggnog and Coquito Christmas playlist. Somehow it fits. Lol.

Seems like Rudy tried in his most earnest way to have a legitimate straight and narrow career before hitting it big with the foulmouthed Dolemite act.

Even back then, some brothas was havin to 'dumb it down' and do nigga shit to appeal to a wider audience. It's kinda fucked up really.

Almost like the movie Bamboozled in a way.

• Ether
Reactions: 1/2
Back