Welcome To aBlackWeb

Netflix Dolemite Is My Name

Had no idea Rudy was such a kind dude. He bet big on himself and it paid off.

Really dig the flick. It's even better on second watch.

Yeah man. I knew about Dolemite, but never separated Rudy from the character. I realized that I knew next to nothing about Rudy the man. I read that he was still taking his mother to the Baptist conventions at the height of his popularity...

Last edited:
I'm I missing something here? I'm too young to know anything about dolemite beyond the name and I never heard of Rudy Ray Moore before this movie. I watched about 20 mins of the movie and couldn't get into it. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy but struggled to find a laugh. I left about the part for his album cover. Feels like the only people that this was made for was the folks old enough to have grown up on Dolemite and other blaxploitation films. Old heads help a brotha out. I'm I too young (31) or I'm I just missing something?

Bout to watch now...I remember getting in trouble freshman year for reciting “The Signifying Monkey” after I learned it lmao

Bruh shutup
Rudy%2BRay%2BMoore%2B-%2BDolemite%2B-%2B1.gif

This shit was good af...shit was funny...tha whole cast did their thing and it was really dope to see summin’ considered a cult classic get its props on how it came about...and big up to Rudy Ray Moore for pushing thru like he did and also to Eddie Murphy for this character to life...I’ll be watching this for a min

Just saw they put this up recently. Gonna check it out tomorrow. Dope to see Murphy in another rated R flick. Got this, coming to america 2 and rumors of another Beverly Hills cop. Plus his stand up deal with netflix. The comeback is strong af.

I'm I missing something here? I'm too young to know anything about dolemite beyond the name and I never heard of Rudy Ray Moore before this movie. I watched about 20 mins of the movie and couldn't get into it. I thought it was supposed to be a comedy but struggled to find a laugh. I left about the part for his album cover. Feels like the only people that this was made for was the folks old enough to have grown up on Dolemite and other blaxploitation films. Old heads help a brotha out. I'm I too young (31) or I'm I just missing something?

Not gon lie, I had this exact feeling the first time I watched Life, with Martin and Eddie.

Then as I got a lil wiser I realized there wasn't anything wrong with the movie, just the way it was marketed. Them brothas brought the laughs, but also was doin some solid acting in that flick too.

Idk man. Maybe adjust your expectations. Don't go in expecting some knee slapping comedy.

It's really just a movie with some good performances about a brotha tryna make a dream happen despite the fact that it seemed that he'd already missed his shot. And in it he remained a good dude throughout.

Regardless of what you think about the actual Dolemite movie as a film, it was a product of its time.

Last edited:
Back