Welcome To aBlackWeb

Drama in Bristol: Is Rachel Nichols racist?

So that all stems from Rachel not turning her camera off properly, thus it recorded her without her knowledge and was sent to one of ESPNs feeds and copies were made. She was pissed because she felt that Maria Taylor was taking over her NBA Finals hosting duties because she’s black and ESPN wanted to promote diversity

A Disparaging Video Prompts Explosive Fallout Within ESPN

In comments still rippling through the network, the reporter Rachel Nichols, who is white, said Maria Taylor, who is Black, earned the job to host 2020 N.B.A. finals coverage because ESPN was “feeling pressure” on diversity.

• Mail
Image[IMG]
Maria Taylor, at left front, considered refusing to appear on ESPN’s “NBA Countdown” along with her costars, from left, Jalen Rose, Adrian Wojnarowski and Jay Williams. Rachel Nichols, right, was heard on a video making disparaging comments about Taylor. Jimmy Pitaro, center, ESPN’s president, has tried to smooth over the relationships.Credit...Eleanor Shakespeare
[IMG]
By Kevin Draper

July 4, 2021Updated 8:17 a.m. ET
As the N.B.A. playoffs started in May, the stars of ESPN’s marquee basketball show, “NBA Countdown,” discussed whether they would refuse to appear on it.

They were objecting to a production edict from executives that they believed was issued to benefit a sideline reporter and fellow star, Rachel Nichols, despite comments she had made suggesting that the host of “NBA Countdown,” Maria Taylor, had gotten that job because she is Black. Nichols is white.

A preshow call with Taylor and the other commentators — Jalen Rose, Adrian Wojnarowski and Jay Williams — as well as “NBA Countdown” staff members had turned acrimonious, and Jimmy Pitaro, ESPN’s president, had several phone conversations while at a family event to try to help smooth things over.

Some of those involved saw the initial maneuvering as a sign of the network favoring Nichols despite a backdrop of criticism from employees who complained that the sports network has long mishandled problems with racism. It had declined to discipline Nichols despite fury throughout the company over her remark, which she made during a phone conversation nearly a year ago after learning that she would not host coverage during the 2020 N.B.A. finals, as she had been expecting.

I wish Maria Taylor all the success in the world — she covers football, she covers basketball,” Nichols said in July 2020. “If you need to give her more things to do because you are feeling pressure about your crappy longtime record on diversity — which, by the way, I know personally from the female side of it — like, go for it. Just find it somewhere else. You are not going to find it from me or taking my thing away.”

ESPN has been trying, and often failing, to deal with the scandal for months. But a fast-approaching deadline is forcing the network to show at least some of its cards. Taylor’s contract expires during the N.B.A. finals, which start on Tuesday between the Phoenix Suns and the Milwaukee Bucks, yet few substantive steps have been taken toward a new deal even though Pitaro has identified Taylor as one of ESPN’s rising stars.

Whether or not ESPN and Taylor agree on a contract, the internal damage from the past year has been substantial.

This article is based upon interviews with more than a dozen current and former ESPN employees, as well as others with knowledge of the company’s inner workings. Most of them spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized by ESPN to speak to the news media or because of paperwork they had signed upon leaving the company.

The Video
In mid-July last year, Nichols was staying at the Coronado Springs Resort at Walt Disney World near Orlando, Fla., confined to her room for seven days because of the N.B.A.’s coronavirus protocols before the season resumed. She had with her a video camera so that she could continue appearing on ESPN shows, primarily “The Jump,” a daily N.B.A. show she has hosted since 2016.

But she was eyeing hosting duties for ESPN’s pregame and postgame shows during the playoffs and finals, the network’s most important studio basketball programming. That host is the face of ESPN’s N.B.A. coverage, and before the pandemic, both she and Taylor hosted different versions of the show.

About the time Nichols arrived in Florida, she was told by executives that Taylor would host coverage during the N.B.A. finals.

Nichols discussed her career on a phone call on July 13, 2020, with Adam Mendelsohn, the longtime adviser of the Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James and James’s agent, Rich Paul. Nichols was speaking with Mendelsohn to request an interview with James and his Lakers teammate Anthony Davis, whom Paul also represents. During the conversation, she also sought advice from Mendelsohn because she believed her bosses were advancing Taylor at her expense.

“I just want them to go somewhere else — it’s in my contract, by the way; this job is in my contract in writing,” Nichols told Mendelsohn, referring to hosting coverage during the N.B.A. finals a few minutes after saying ESPN was “feeling pressure” about racial diversity.

We, of course, are not going to comment on the specifics of any commentator contract,” said Josh Krulewitz, an ESPN spokesman. Krulewitz declined to make Pitaro available for an interview.

Unbeknown to Nichols, her video camera was on, and the call was being recorded to a server at ESPN’s headquarters in Bristol, Conn.

So that all stems from Rachel not turning her camera off properly, thus it recorded her without her knowledge and was sent to one of ESPNs feeds and copies were made. She was pissed because she felt that Maria Taylor was taking over her NBA Finals hosting duties because she’s black and ESPN wanted to promote diversity
Not just this but WHO she spoke to is the advisor for Bron and Rich Paul at Klutch

Klutch Sports

Nichols discussed her career on a phone call on July 13, 2020, with Adam Mendelsohn, the longtime adviser of the Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James and James’s agent, Rich Paul. Nichols was speaking with Mendelsohn to request an interview with James and his Lakers teammate Anthony Davis, whom Paul also represents. During the conversation, she also sought advice from Mendelsohn because she believed her bosses were advancing Taylor at her expense.

Mendelsohn, who’s white, then mentioned: “I don’t know. I’m exhausted. Between Me Too and Black Lives Matter, I got nothing left.” Nichols then laughed.

She said Maria is only there because she's black and ESPN is only pushing her because of diversity. Not her talent :huh2:

Well. Rachel has been doing it longer than her and has more connections within the NBA than her. It is possible it’s because she’s black though I think she does a good job but I personally think Rachel is better at it

Back