Welcome To aBlackWeb

Donovan McNabb says if Troy Aikman is in the Hall of Fame, he should be, too

5th Letter

Mod Squad

CSBNVEIQYNABLCBJTAVWRTX3M4.jpg

Three cycles of Pro Football Hall of Fame voting have come and gone since Donovan McNabb first became eligible, and the former Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins quarterback has yet to make it past the initial nominee stage (the 100 or so nominees each year are trimmed down to 25 semifinalists and then 15 finalists). McNabb thinks this is a grievous oversight.

“I’m not hesitating on that. I am a Hall of Famer,” McNabb told “TMZ Sports” this week. “My numbers speak for themselves.”

McNabb pointed to one Hall of Fame quarterback specifically as a point of comparison: former Cowboys star Troy Aikman.

“My numbers are better than Troy Aikman,” he said.

[The Ravens changed their entire offense without telling Lamar Jackson]

So let’s go to the tale of the tape:

Donovan McNabb (167 career regular season games): 37,276 passing yards, 59 percent completion rate, 234 touchdown passes, 117 interceptions, 85.6 passer rating, 9-7 playoff record as starter, five NFC championship game appearances, one Super Bowl appearance, zero Super Bowl wins.

Troy Aikman (165 career regular season games): 32,942 passing yards, 61.5 percent completion rate, 165 touchdown passes, 141 interceptions, 81.6 passer rating, 11-4 playoff record as a starter, four NFC championship game appearances, three Super Bowl appearances, three Super Bowl wins.

McNabb might have a point about the statistics: In basically the same number of games played, he had more than 4,000 more passing yards, 69 more touchdown passes, 24 fewer interceptions and a better passer rating. Oh, and he rushed for 2,443 more yards than Aikman, who was a first-ballot Hall of Famer in 2006.

Plus, McNabb is one of only four NFL quarterbacks with more than 30,000 passing yards, 200 touchdown passes, 3,000 rushing yards and 20 rushing touchdowns. The other three — Fran Tarkenton, John Elway and Steve Young — all are in the Hall of Fame. Only seven quarterbacks have amassed more than McNabb’s 3,459 rushing yards.

Some of those stats can be explained away: McNabb, for instance, never had an all-time workhorse like Emmitt Smith behind him in the backfield, so Aikman’s passing numbers aren’t going to be similar. And 36 of Aikman’s career interceptions came in his first two seasons, when the Cowboys were all-around dreadful.

Pro Football Reference founder Doug Drinen has developed a statistic called weighted approximate value, which attempts to assign one number to a player’s career, based on their statistics, in order determine the game’s all-time best players no matter their position on the field. Even Drinen admits it’s not an “be-all end-all” metric, but it’s a worthy attempt. And while McNabb is tied for 78th on the all-time weighted AV list, it’s the same position as fellow retired Eagle Randall Cunningham (who, like McNabb, hasn’t gotten past the Hall of Fame nominee stage the past three years). He sits behind such good-but-not-great quarterbacks as Ken Anderson (at 35th, he’s the highest-ranked retired player in weighted AV not in the Hall of Fame) and Carson Palmer (72nd)

But then again, McNabb sits a full 81 spots ahead of Aikman in weighted AV. He’s also ahead of other Hall of Famers like Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, Roger Staubach, George Blanda, Joe Namath and Bart Starr (who is the lowest-ranked quarterback in terms of weighted AV to make the Hall of Fame). Four of those players were quarterbacks on Super Bowl-winning teams, however, and Kelly infamously played in the game four times.

“When they look at my numbers, yeah, but then they always want to add other stuff into it: ’Was he an all-pro? Was he this? How many Super Bowl opportunities?' " McNabb told TMZ. “But people don’t realize how hard it is to get to the NFC championship and to get there five times, and then make it to a Super Bowl? It’s tough.”

So is earning a gold jacket, apparently.

Not understanding his logic or comparing himself to Troy Aikman but hes definitely a Hall of Famer

He was 1A with Peyton Manning for some years

Loved McNabb as a player, but the guys has some serious self esteem issues.

Stats are good, but chips carry weight. Aikman got it done 3 times in the Bowl. Now THAT is hard. And that is no knock on what McNabb accomplished in his career which is impressive in its own right. But his "woe is me" act is tired.

i didnt follow football like that but i know this comparison is off lol

I saw Troy play while he was dead once

He will eventually get in but considering he LOST all those NFCC games and Super Bowl he will have to wait and rightfully so. If you don't have rings at least come with some individual achievements to swing the voters in your favor. Did he even make any all-pro teams?

Better comparison to McNabb’s career would be Romo, and neither of them are getting in

He’s actually better than him in every statistical category

He’s been to a Super Bowl and multiple NFCCG

HOF easily

Better comparison to McNabb’s career would be Romo, and neither of them are getting in

They both deserve to be in. No super bowls but cant deny stats and making their teams relevant.

I could see if the hall of fame was like super exclusive but if dudes from that buffalo team that lost 4 super bowls got in so can McNabb and Romo.

I feel bad for McNabb. You can tell all that nice guy shit he did wasn't really his personality now that he's retired, but he let the shit perpetuate for so long people have gotten comfortable testing him at every level. Now, he's not trying to be the face of organization but instead a man, and that shit he let slide on the surface is coming out.

With that said, titles always give someone's HoF bid more legitimacy.

I always like McNuggets, but I was there for those NFCCG Ls. No, it wasn’t all his fault, but it did put a pretty big stain on his record.

It should take 4-5 years, but he should be in.

Eventually he’ll be a hall of Famer... but it’s gonna he a few years. So many great players during his prime, especially ones that actually got rings & had a better body of work. I feel if he’s not in within the next 5 years then there’s something wrong.

Back