Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Do we have unrealistic expectations of BET?

Bottom line, most of us are cord cutters to some degree.

And if we are checking for BET, it's through back door means instead of watching it on cable.

One of the tweets mentioning they actually brought back BET news, but no one watched it. I didn't know they did if I'm keeping it a buck

Idgaf about BET, who gives af about the agenda of a white owned cable network guised as a black channel.

99% of black dating sites are white owned, 99% of hiphop websites are white/non black owned, etc

Niggas gotta start supporting black owned shit.

I agree to an extent. If the quality of product and customer service matches I'll support black owned even if it costs a few dollars more. I'm not supporting black owned just because they're black but they're providing an inferior product or customer service.

My statement is already understood by most though.

Customer service is one of the biggest reasons people will or will not support a business. Take Chik-fil-a for example. There food not that good IMO but they usually provide great customer service so people willing to fuck with it and even think the quality of the food is better than it is just because the customer service was great.

I don’t watch that shit but I turn one of my TVs on to BET and let it run all day and night cuz even if I’m not watching I at leaaat wanna support black endeavors

My biggest issue with the twitter thread was it looks like most black people still don't know BET isn't black owned.

Most black people think they're supporting black products when they're really white products guised as black and that's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

I agree with what @DMorgan said to an extent, but we have to be realistic and know the product you're going to be getting from a black start up isn't going to be as good as it is from a 8 figure company.

But using the Tidal and Spotify example again, if Spotify has 500M songs in their library and Tidal only has 300M, it's not gonna kill you to support the black version lol If more people support, Tidal will eventually have 500M songs too.

But I do agree with homie about customer service.

How deep and real about black issues do yall think any show on BET can get when it is owned by white people?

How much truth about their bullshit do folks really think they will ALLOW to be put out there against them?
I honestly don't know because at the same time I'm not naive to believe that Viacom is just the parent company but has no say so in what's being shown

But it's a double edged sword as well because what if everyone is assuming that Viacom is micro managing everything and due to that go with the white company disguised as a black one train of thought and that keeps people away as well?

It's not like Viacom owns just BET. ALL the stations they own have done a 180 over time compared to how they were previously when we were growing up watching them, so why does it appear BET is getting the raw end of the deal?

I've watched The Quad, Boomerang, Tales, bigger, family business, rebel and a few others I can't remember the names of. All of them I had to seek out on demand looking for shows with all black casts. They don't market none of this shit outside of bet and I'm not sitting around trying to watch 20 yr old music videos, and that fuck ass Terry crews sitcom are we there yet all day. They have some good shows but they've been tuned out by the public. Rightfully so after decades of bullshit.

Black people have an antiquated view of BET as when about a decade ago all you would see is shitty programming, reruns of shows like the parkers and baby boy

It became the the uncool thing to watch at some point

it may be having a “renaissance” if you will but people because of cord cutting and just I guess willful ignorance are not capable of watching like that or they just refuse to.

I mean people still say “y’all watch BET?”

It has a stigma of a rerun and low budget programming channel with the occasional award show that isn’t as good as when we were growing up

me personally I don’t have cable but even if I did I kinda don’t have an interest in what BET offers

some ppl are hip to the programming though so some shos have a small cult like following

so yes we kinda are unfair to BET to an extent

fin

My biggest issue with the twitter thread was it looks like most black people still don't know BET isn't black owned.

Most black people think they're supporting black products when they're really white products guised as black and that's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

I agree with what @DMorgan said to an extent, but we have to be realistic and know the product you're going to be getting from a black start up isn't going to be as good as it is from a 8 figure company.

But using the Tidal and Spotify example again, if Spotify has 500M songs in their library and Tidal only has 300M, it's not gonna kill you to support the black version lol If more people support, Tidal will eventually have 500M songs too.

i been fighting with eople on facebook and ig and all over the place about the same thing.

they comparing startups to establishments.

That HBCU show was actually pretty good. It had good actors and it wasn't cheesy like some of their shows are. I watch Tales from time to time too.
Tales was terribad.. i saw the first few when it had came out and i watched like 3 episodes of that show where this athletes jump off was killed by his girl the shit was ridiculous i just cant get with BET shit because the shit is garbage

Funny how we keep agreeing on the majority of things but disagree on a small thing.

With the bold I actually think depending on the product you get better quality in the beginning stages and once the company grows and said products now have to be massed produced to meet the demand then the quality goes down.

We agree overall though on the main point of this thread.

I honestly don't know because at the same time I'm not naive to believe that Viacom is just the parent company but has no say so in what's being shown

But it's a double edged sword as well because what if everyone is assuming that Viacom is micro managing everything and due to that go with the white company disguised as a black one train of thought and that keeps people away as well?

It's not like Viacom owns just BET. ALL the stations they own have done a 180 over time compared to how they were previously when we were growing up watching them, so why does it appear BET is getting the raw end of the deal?

BET is getting the raw end of deal because of the shit those white people did to that channel. When whitey first took over they were doing black versions of all the reality tv shows they were doing on MTV except with what looked to be a smaller production budget.

Those shows was lame as hell then they followed that shit up with re-runs of old black tv shows or stereotypical new black shows written by white people. They dropped good shows like Teen Summit for trash tv and black people for the most part didn't support it and were right not to support it.

So viacom and those white people are going to have to work extra overtime to try and win black people over to watch this new content they're putting out.

If they do ok and if they don't so what? Shouldn't have fucked up the good thing they had going.

If BET isn’t getting the viewership it should it’s because of marketing and not programming
They had a chick in that thread that said she had a digital show on the bet YouTube channel and it got cancelled after 9 episodes

I think she said she was getting 15k views on average

Idk man. This one of those things where maybe just maybe your show wasn't as good as you thought it was and the backing had nothing to do with it but idk.

I know issa is the exception but she was able to take her shit to HBO. Not saying everyone will be able to do that but maybe BET pulled the plug too early or maybe it was just not a good show

They had a chick in that thread that said she had a digital show on the bet YouTube channel and it got cancelled after 9 episodes

I think she said she was getting 15k views on average

Idk man. This one of those things where maybe just maybe your show wasn't as good as you thought it was and the backing had nothing to do with it but idk.

I know issa is the exception but she was able to take her shit to HBO. Not saying everyone will be able to do that but maybe BET pulled the plug too early or maybe it was just not a good show

What's the name of the show that was on youtube?

Back