Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Do we have unrealistic expectations of BET?

I don't think most of the general public realizes that BET isn't really BET anymore.

They became a subsidiary of Viacom when Bob Johnson sold the company.

Even still, they might as well let Viacom take over.

Simply because I'm sure they'd be able to put together a staff that would do a better job of running the network than the current management.

She listed a lot of shows but that doesn't mean the quality of the shows were actually good. I know I didn't watch that college show with Anika Rose because it didn't look like it was any good.

Honestly HBCU football games are better live than on tv. The level of production could factor heavily into that.

Also fuck she care so much about a white owned TV channel that is called Black Entertainment Television but does a poor job at entertaining black people IMO

My main thing about the BET discussion now is people repeat the same old arguments from when we was growing up which was 2nd tier entertainment that reinforces negative stereotypes of Black folks. Wild shit is VH1 took that title years ago with the Love and Hip hop style reality shows. All the negative shit people still pin on BET isnt even on the network but people are basically taught that its 2nd tier so why bother with it.

Most of us beyond UPN programming, BET gotta meet us where we at..but knowing BET, you'll see a worldstarhiphop show hosted by vlad or Academics before you see that.

Back