Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Do we have unrealistic expectations of BET?

AP2.5

Beef Authority
Site Administrator
I'll post the tweets later that sparked this thread but it's been on my TL the past couple of days and while I agree and disagree with some of the points that were made, I just wanted to poll the site and get your thoughts about where BET is currently, where we think it's going in the future, and how to "fix" and preconceived thoughts about the channel/brand

She listed a lot of shows but that doesn't mean the quality of the shows were actually good. I know I didn't watch that college show with Anika Rose because it didn't look like it was any good.

Honestly HBCU football games are better live than on tv. The level of production could factor heavily into that.

Also fuck she care so much about a white owned TV channel that is called Black Entertainment Television but does a poor job at entertaining black people IMO

I'ma get to that in a min

Most if not all the things we watch aren't black owned either, yet our bank accounts are electronically withdrawn every month to pay for the subscription

Niggas don't support black owned shit.

Me and you had this discussion about Tidal a year ago and your reason for not supporting was "well Spotify has 500 million songs and Tidal only has 300 Million songs" :foh5:

We gotta start supporting black owned networks and websites.

I applaud BET for trying to come up with new original programming. There have been hits (NE and Bobby Brown stories)

But the misses far outweigh those.I’ve seen some of the shit in those tweets and they’re flat out unwatchable.

I thought they might’ve had something with the Boomerang series and American Soul but they came up short IMO. Boomerang could be great in the right hands. American soul was just too slow for me.

BET went away from what made it great. If they went back to the hip hop and R&B during the day and then followed that up with their original programs it might make the channel desirable again. Nobody wanna watch fresh prince reruns all day

Idgaf about BET, who gives af about the agenda of a white owned cable network guised as a black channel.

99% of black dating sites are white owned, 99% of hiphop websites are white/non black owned, etc

Niggas gotta start supporting black owned shit.

I think y'all get my point

There was a tweet I found last night that I can't find now but I thought it was a good point as well

Niggas don't support black owned shit.

Me and you had this discussion about Tidal a year ago and your reason for not supporting was "well Spotify has 500 million songs and Tidal only has 300 Million songs" :foh5:

We gotta start supporting black owned networks and websites.
You're simplifying my response though

At the time when we had the discussion, their library wasn't as robust as it is currently. That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

It came down to me choosing to spend my money with a more established brand vs a new one that was still in the midst of an overhaul and rebrand.

Tidal has come a long way since that discussion though

BET does a piss poor job of marketing their shows. Who knew they had all this programing.
She addresses this in a series of tweets in that thread.

Unfortunately, people for whatever reason didn't support

You're simplifying my response though

At the time when we had the discussion, their library wasn't as robust as it is currently. That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

It came down to me choosing to spend my money with a more established brand vs a new one that was still in the midst of an overhaul and rebrand.

Tidal has come a long way since that discussion though

As a nigga who's had Tidal for about 4 years now, their library has improved since our conversation but even then it was worthy of a subscription. Especially being that they cater towards the black demographic.

I guarantee if I go on there right now the front page will have 99% black artists and themed around black culture. It's a streaming service for us.

The tweet I was looking basically said something along the lines of a company like Nickelodeon didn't have to change it's core programming to get new viewers over time

I agree with the sentiment in theory but that can do that because kids for the most part like the same shit regardless of what period in time we're living in.

The shit that appealed to me as a young adult in college that came on BET didn't appeal to me as an adult

As a nigga who's had Tidal for about 4 years now, their library has improved since our conversation but even then it was worthy of a subscription. Especially being that they cater towards the black demographic.

I guarantee if I go on there right now the front page will have 99% black artists and themed around black culture. It's a streaming service for us.
I'm agreeing with you fam lol

I'm saying my initial response, I openly admit I was waiting and seeing but my reasons then, I feel were valid

That HBCU show was actually pretty good. It had good actors and it wasn't cheesy like some of their shows are. I watch Tales from time to time too.
Did you find yourself watching them live or DVR?

Back