Welcome To aBlackWeb

Defend Your Starting 5 (Water Ur Seeds)

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
I wanna do this series one poster per thread.

1 poster drops his top 5 and has to defend why his 5 is top 5 over all the other rappers.

If you're down let me know, if not I'll go first.​

Nas
Scarface
Ghostface
Black Thought
Ice Cube

Cube the weakest one but, if you include NWA. From SOC to Lethal Injection, ain't nobody fuckn w/ that run. Not even the ones I got listed above him.

Melle Mel is in my top 5. In fact he might be my #1 considering that all of the old school pioneers say that he was the first person they saw rapping on beat with a DJ (Grandmaster Flash).

But not only was he the first one to rap on beat during the park jam era, he also was commercially successful. He appeared in Beat Street and I Feel For You by Chaka Khan which won a Grammy (which might make him the first rapper to win a grammy?). Chaka Khan and Melle Mel performed I Feel For You at the Grammys in either 1984 or 1985.

Melle Mel was part of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5. They used to rock in the parks and at the Audobon Ballroom and the T-Connection before Rapper's Delight was released (there's tapes and flyers from 1978). Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 released two songs in 1979, one was called Supperrappin and was released under the name Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5. The second record they released in 1979 was called We Rap More Mellow and was released under the name The Younger Generation.

They were marginally successful as rap was a new genre and R&B and Top 40 stations didn't know what to do with rap. Anyway, they released Freedom, It's Nasty, Showdown, The Birthday Party, Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel and a few other songs before The Message. When The Message was released, it wasn't really by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5. It was Melle Mel and a guy named Duke Bootee (NH). The Message was a huge record, but it wasn't really by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5. So the group broke up around that time and Melle Mel released a string of solo records; Survival, New York, New York, White Lines, Beat Street, Jesse and Step Off.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5 broke into two factions, one faction was called Grandmaster Flash. The other faction was called Grandmaster Melle Mel & The Furious 5. Various members made various records from 85-1988 when they got back together and made one more album as a group. One of the members, Cowboy, died from complications of cocaine addiction and possibly AIDS?

Anyway, Melle Mel worked on Quincy Jones album Back On The Block in 1989/90? and won another Grammy for his work on that record.

He still drops music from time to time but he's mostly appreciated for the work he did in the early 80s.

Big L in ppl top 5 DOA always makes me laugh

Why??? He has a pretty big volume of work if you look, from like 1992 to his passing in 1999... Especially when you include his features and radio freestyles, not to mention his posthumous albums...

Last edited:
Why??? He has a pretty big volume of work if you look, from like 1992 to his passing in 1999... Especially when you include his features and radio freestyles, not to mention his posthumous albums...

No he doesn't. He has an album called Harlem's Finest which has all of his radio/mixtape freestyles. Besides that he has his first album, Lifestyles of Da Poor & Dangerous, which, if were being honest with each other, didn't make a peep when it dropped and went double wood. Then he has The Big Picture, which was released posthumously.

Basically Big L has 3 albums.

R-1145483-1196081992.jpeg.jpg

R-229542-1405262289-4786.jpeg.jpg

R-2109127-1527968591-6004.jpeg.jpg

Big L doesn't have as much material as Biggie or 2Pac, and he doesn't have a song that was commercially successful, the type of song that gets played on the radio and in nightclubs.

For that reason, I can't see putting Big L above rappers that were just as good but have commercial success (Jay, Ice Cube, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, LL Cool J, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, etc.

@Water Ur Seeds your list was first so we'll make this thread about his top 5.

@ ABW, is this a solid top 5?

1. Pac
2. Masta Ace
3. Kool G Rap
4. Vinnie Paz
5. Big L

If not, who should get the tf outta here?​

No he doesn't. He has an album called Harlem's Finest which has all of his radio/mixtape freestyles. Besides that he has his first album, Lifestyles of Da Poor & Dangerous, which, if were being honest with each other, didn't make a peep when it dropped and went double wood. Then he has The Big Picture, which was released posthumously.

Basically Big L has 3 albums.

R-1145483-1196081992.jpeg.jpg

R-229542-1405262289-4786.jpeg.jpg

R-2109127-1527968591-6004.jpeg.jpg

Big L doesn't have as much material as Biggie or 2Pac, and he doesn't have a song that was commercially successful, the type of song that gets played on the radio and in nightclubs.

For that reason, I can't see putting Big L above rappers that were just as good but have commercial success (Jay, Ice Cube, Nas, 2Pac, Biggie, LL Cool J, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, etc.

Hold up, first off I don't care what an album sells when it drops (illmatic and reasonable doubt didn't do great iirc)... Point is, 'Lifestylez' is DOPE to me and 'The Big Picture' is too, two classic albums...

His first feature(s) he stepped in and killed the tunes, with GIANTS alongside him too for that matter (lord finesse, showbiz & ag)...

On his first album feature, bearing in mind this was on an official CLASSIC album he killed it...

He was one of the first rappers to really get mainstream love with punchlines too imo and that he was ahead of time stylewise too, like he sounded new skool back in 1991... For me he fathered styles with punchlines rap etc had a unique voice, he could go from funny, gangsta to horror core...

His features with DITC and Children Of The Corn are legendary too... And lets not forget his radio freestyles are legendary also, who has a better catalog of radio cyphers???

And have you listened to any of his posthumous releases??? They have unrealised material, 'Return of the Devils Son' is dope... And the '139 & Lenox' is worth checking out too...

IMO Big L has more body of work then BIG...

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Vinnie Paz Top 5?...

:huh:

Defo in my personal top5... Come on bro you visit the underground section...

He is constantly dropping projects, be it solo, with JMT, with Ill Bill or like the one coming up with Tragedy Khadafi...

He has dropped some of my favourite EVER hip hop tracks and verses, he can drop knowledge or he drop grimy raps...

'It's 1.6 million people locked in jail
They the new slave labor force, trapped in Hell
They generate over a billion dollars worth of power
And only gettin' paid twenty cents an hour
They make clothes for McDonald's and for Applebee's
And workin' forty-hour shifts in prison factories
And while we sit around debatin' who the wack MC's
They have to work when arthritic pain attack the knees
Slavery's not illegal, that's a fuckin' lie
It's illegal, unless it's for conviction of a crime
The main objective is to get you in your fuckin' prime
And keep the prison full and not give you a fuckin' dime
But they the real criminal, keepin' you confined
For a petty crime, but they give you two-to-nine
And ain't nobody there to protect ya
Except a bunch of incompetent human rights inspectors'

#1 on the list is correct, the other 4 is bizzaro world

Its not in any order... And changes week to week or day to day... But Pac and Masta Ace will always be on the list...

Masta Ace is the most underrated MC of all time imo, dude has been around since the 80s and still dropping one of the albums of 2018...

I like albums that have themes and flow all the way through... And not only is his flow butter, his albums flow like a movie, literally especially with the skits and his incredible storytelling... In fact if you take 'Long Hot Summer', 'Disposable Arts' and 'The Falling Season' they could play like a persons life story...

The first eMC album is classic and his work with Marco Polo is incredible too... He's also got albums with SlaughtaHouse, Doom and ED OG that went under the radar...

Back