Welcome To aBlackWeb

Death Row Records Is Now Owned By Hasbro

dontdiedontkillanyone

Show some love, you losers!
Death Row Records Is Now Owned By Hasbro
James Rettig @jamsrettig | August 23, 2019 - 4:40 pm

Fans Celebrate Twenty Five Years Of My Little Pony

In a wild turn of events, Death Row Records is now owned by Hasbro, the gargantuan toy and board game company that is behind My Little Pony, Furby, Monopoly, G. I. Joe, and many more classic children’s enterprises. Death Row Records is, of course, the West Coast rap label that was founded in 1991 and put out major releases from Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Tupac. Strange bedfellows!

But Death Row Records — and other labels, including Last Gang and Dualtone — are now part of Hasbro after the company bought the Canadian studio Entertainment One for a whopping $4 billion because the company owns the lucrative Peppa Pig and PJ Masks franchises.

“The acquisition of eOne adds beloved story-led global family brands that deliver strong operating returns to Hasbro’s portfolio and provides a pipeline of new brand creation driven by family-oriented storytelling, which will now include Hasbro’s IP,” Hasbro’s chairman and CEO Brian Goldner said in a statement. Hopefully that means a Snoop and My Little Pony collab is right around the corner.

Entertainment One has a valuable music division, and in 2013 they purchased Death Row Records’ catalog after its previous parent company went bankrupt.

Hasbro, the company behind My Little Pony, Lite-Brite, and Furbies, has expanded into the world of gangster rap.

According to Rolling Stone, the toy and board game brand is now the unlikely owner of Death Row Records, the storied West Coast imprint that launched the careers of Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Daz Dillinger, and more. Hasbro reportedly acquired Death Row's discography with the $4 billion purchase of Entertainment One, a multimedia company that has its hands in TV, film, and music.

As pointed out by Rolling Stone, eOne became Death Row's parent company when it bought the label's catalog for approximately $280 million in 2013, about seven years after Death Row declared bankruptcy.

"The acquisition of eOne adds beloved story-led global family brands that deliver strong operating returns to Hasbro’s portfolio and provides a pipeline of new brand creation driven by family-oriented storytelling," Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner said in a statement.

"Family-oriented storytelling"? It's unclear if Goldner is aware that many Death Row projects come with a Parental Advisory label.

With the eOne acquisition, Hasbro now owns popular kids brands like Peppa Pig and PJ Masks.

But i thought Jimmy Iovine owned Interscope, and Interscope owned Death Row.

Are you saying that at one point Suge Knight was the solo owner of Death Row?

But i thought Jimmy Iovine owned Interscope, and Interscope owned Death Row.

Are you saying that at one point Suge Knight was the solo owner of Death Row?
I don't know all the ins and outs like that, but suge filed bankruptcy and death row was auctioned off sometime after 2006.

On April 4, 2006 both Death Row Records and Suge Knight simultaneously filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection following the appointment of a Receiver to acquire and auction off assets of both Death Row Records and Suge Knight in the civil case filed by Lydia Harris against Suge Knight. Among those listed as unsecured creditors to Death Row include the Harrises, the Internal Revenue Service ($6,900,000), Koch Records ($3,400,000), Interscope Records ($2,500,000) and a number of artists previously signed to the label. Suge Knight eventually lost control of Death Row Records and his personal assets when Chapter 11 Trustees took over both cases

On January 15, 2009, Death Row was successfully auctioned to entertainment development company WIDEawake for US$18 million. On January 25, 2009, an auction was held for everything found in the Death Row office after it filed for bankruptcy. Of note was the Death Row electric chair which went for US$2,500

On December 10, 2012, New Solutions Financial Corp., the Canadian company that owned WIDEawake Death Row, had gone bankrupt and sold both the label and catalog to a publicly held company.[44] In 2013, E1 purchased the rights to the Death Row catalog. The Group invested £175 million in content rights and television programmes in the year (2012: £135.8 million) and £4.2 million (6 million $) to purchase the music library assets of Death Row.[45] Death Row recently had a Pop-Up event in LA on April 10, 2019

Back