Welcome To aBlackWeb

De La Soul Still Gettin Raped By Their Label

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Earlier this week, De La Soul announced their first six albums would soon be available on streaming services—which was great news for fans, but not so much for the legendary hip-hop group. The members took to social media Tuesday claiming they would receive only 10 percent of the revenue generated from the music streams; the other 90 percent would go to their former label Tommy Boy.

"Dear Fans, the music WILL be released digitally," De La Soul wrote in an Instagram post. "After 30 years of good music and paying their debt to Hip Hop, De L Soul unfortunately will not taste the fruit of their labor."

De La Soul members Posdnuos, Trugoy, and Maseo asked their fans to not "feed the vultures," and instead cop their non-Tommy Boy projects, And the Anonymous Nobody…(2016) and The Grind Date (2004). But the group's supporters weren't content with simply boycotting the upcoming digital releases; they're now calling for a full-on boycott of Tommy Boy Records.

Nas shared an Instagram photo featuring the hashtag #TommyBoycott. The rapper captioned the post with a GZA's line from the 1995 song "Labels," in which GZA and RZA took aim at shady music imprints.

Other music figures such as Pete Rock, Jarobi White of A Tribe Called Quest, and Questlove have also joined the boycott.

"I been hoping and wishing and praying for their back catalogue to be made available on digital media FOREVER—but not like this," Questlove wrote. "@tommyboyrecords This narrative has been going on since the blues, since jazz, since rock n roll, since disco, since soul—I'm proud of De La for using their voice. Let’s fix this. For the greater good. Let’s be respectful and fair. 90 percent to the label and 10 percent to the artist is not fair."

It appears Tidal is also standing by De La Soul. On Wednesday afternoon, the group announced the streaming giant has agreed to not to feature their catalog "until this matter has been resolved."

Earlier this week, De La Soul announced their first six albums would soon be available on streaming services—which was great news for fans, but not so much for the legendary hip-hop group. The members took to social media Tuesday claiming they would receive only 10 percent of the revenue generated from the music streams; the other 90 percent would go to their former label Tommy Boy.

"Dear Fans, the music WILL be released digitally," De La Soul wrote in an Instagram post. "After 30 years of good music and paying their debt to Hip Hop, De L Soul unfortunately will not taste the fruit of their labor."

De La Soul members Posdnuos, Trugoy, and Maseo asked their fans to not "feed the vultures," and instead cop their non-Tommy Boy projects, And the Anonymous Nobody…(2016) and The Grind Date (2004). But the group's supporters weren't content with simply boycotting the upcoming digital releases; they're now calling for a full-on boycott of Tommy Boy Records.

Nas shared an Instagram photo featuring the hashtag #TommyBoycott. The rapper captioned the post with a GZA's line from the 1995 song "Labels," in which GZA and RZA took aim at shady music imprints.

Other music figures such as Pete Rock, Jarobi White of A Tribe Called Quest, and Questlove have also joined the boycott.

"I been hoping and wishing and praying for their back catalogue to be made available on digital media FOREVER—but not like this," Questlove wrote. "@tommyboyrecords This narrative has been going on since the blues, since jazz, since rock n roll, since disco, since soul—I'm proud of De La for using their voice. Let’s fix this. For the greater good. Let’s be respectful and fair. 90 percent to the label and 10 percent to the artist is not fair."

It appears Tidal is also standing by De La Soul. On Wednesday afternoon, the group announced the streaming giant has agreed to not to feature their catalog "until this matter has been resolved."

Thats wild.

Another thing to consider is they were 18/19 years old when they came into the industry. They were sitting at the table with lawyers and MBAs in their 50s.

They were naive and got taken advantage of.

That's why you hire a lawyer to go over the paperwork. Their job is to go over every clause in the contract to find anything not in your best interest.

I heard Jay Z pulled their albums off Tidal so tha record company won’t make any money...

"... Do y’all understand I been waiting DECADES to finally listen to their awe inspiring work in the car, on lunch break, in the gym, just chillin?..."

So Questlove too lazy to rip his own MP3's from CD? I might understand being too lazy to convert the music from vinyl, but from CD's??? Nah b, you just lazy as shit.

Them dudes shoulda had a competent lawyer go over the paperwork before signing contracts in the beginning. That's how you avoid gettin fucked out of your money 30 years later.

That's why you hire a lawyer to go over the paperwork. Their job is to go over every clause in the contract to find anything not in your best interest.

Yeah but if your lawyer thinks you're uneducated, and you can't express yourself clearly, or there's basic business language that you don't understand he's not going to hold your hand and explain business 101 to you.

There comes a point where your lawyer can't do all the thinking and talking for you. He'll just tell you to sign the contract so he can get his check and move on.

Was the contract for them paid off streaming signed recently or is this based off the contract they signed when they was young and first came out.

Cause it's based off the contract they signed back in the 80's when they probably were teens to very early 20's I can't really blame them for signing fucked up contracts.

I will place full blame on a young nigga who signs a fucked up contract now though. Cause they have history on their side to know better.

Was the contract for them paid off streaming signed recently or is this based off the contract they signed when they was young and first came out.

Cause it's based off the contract they signed back in the 80's when they probably were teens to very early 20's I can't really blame them for signing fucked up contracts.

I will place full blame on a young nigga who signs a fucked up contract now though. Cause they have history on their side to know better.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

Tommy Boy most likely still owns the masters to those albums and whatever % they got when they signed, is still the same now.

and easy to say then. Entertainment lawyers existed back then.

these dudes are from middle class - lower class households.back then your average hood dude or urban black teen didn't have access or knowledge of the business.

Plus they were just glad to get a shit.

New Niggas still getting jerked in 2019

Back