Welcome To aBlackWeb

De La Soul Still Gettin Raped By Their Label

Still incredibly wrong.

How about you just stop now, cause it's clear you have no idea what publishing is. And before you get it in your head that I'm wrong, just know that I have publishing credits through BMI.

When I say that you're wrong, I'm not talking out of my ass. I've gone through the process and that ain't it.

You're right, I was thinking about copyright.

Im sick of this excuse bruh. They should know how to do math and ask questions.
it's not an excuse.The music industry keeps ppl ignorant on purpose sometimes in collab with their management and lawyers.

Have you ever read a a music contract?

it's made to confuse anybody who's not a lawyer.

The musician's mind is rarely a sophisticated business man in the late teens early to even mid 20s

not to mention they'll ship in cocaine or whores to keep you blind.

Last edited:
Ice Cube was younger than that when he started writing and recording for Ruthless. Even at that young age Cube was smart enough to not sign the bullshit contract that Eazy and Heller were pushing on him. When it was all said and done Cube was the only person who left Ruthless with his asshole still in tact.

Being young is no excuse for signing your life away to this vulture ass industry. Get a lawyer before you get a pen.

Cube had already got jerked outta millions by then though.

It's even less acceptable for new niggas 'cause everything you need to know before sitting down at the table with the A&R or whomever is freely available via Google search.

Being glad to get a shot doesn't excuse anything. Even back then there were stories about artists getting fucked over by the labels so it makes no sense not to go in there without a lawyer or without taking the contract to one.
man niggas just want to be heard.They don't know the ins and outs of this shit and it's confusing for even a grown ass man

man niggas just want to be heard.They don't know the ins and outs of this shit and it's confusing for even a grown ass man

It's only confusing if you don't take the time to learn it, and in The information Age it's simply inexcusable not to know.

go read up on it.They offered that contract after he complained about how eazy was rich as fuck and they were getting chump change

You brought Cube name up to State your point...where are you referring too? That is legit question. Your words about Cube have no merit then...You just stating your opinion...I gotcha

:aye:

Source?

:wdf5:

Personally I don't think he got jerked outta millions. Cube wrote a lot of verses for NWA but so did Ren and The D.O.C., and because there wasn't a contract at first the only thing I could see him getting fucked out of was publishing money. The thing about NWA in those days was they didn't have shit on the radio at first, which means no publishing money for the songwriters or producers. When they finally made radio edited versions of "Straight Outta Compton" and, IIRC, "Gangsta Gangsta" they weren't getting as many spins as they could have because of their name. The remix to "Express Yourself" was prolly the only NWA song I can think of that got decent radio support, so there was money off of that but that's only one song.

Truthfully, Cube prolly got jerked out of maybe $100K-$200K at best, and that's being extremely optimistic.

You brought Cube name up to State your point...where are you referring too? That is legit question. Your words about Cube have no merit then...You just stating your opinion...I gotcha

what did you get.there's interviews talking about this shit

:aye:

it's confusing period

Have you ever got a record deal before?

I have.

Two of them on local labels when I was 20, and I walked away from both of them because them niggas took me for a fool. Even without the knowledge I have today I could do the math in my head and realized I'd probably never see a dime off of anything I ever made unless I sold a shitload of records. And back then a local Detroit artist was lucky as shit to sell 10K-20K units so I'd never get out of debt to the label PLUS I caught that them niggas tried to take ownership of my publishing on both sides.

That experience is what pushed me into the trying to get my own label started.

Still, Heller didn’t dispute that, when Cube left N.W.A in 1989, he wasn’t exactly living like a rap star. In fact, he was still living with his parents in South Central Los Angeles—doing the dishes and everything. This despite the fact that he was a performer and songwriter on both N.W.A’s debut Straight Outta Compton and Eazy-E’s Eazy- Duz-It, both released in 1988, and which would sell more than five million albums combined. By the middle of 1989 Cube had received $32,700 in album royalties, and a bit less than that amount for performing on N.W.A’s first national tour.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/benwesthoff/2016/09/07/jerry-heller-nwa/#35aab5c15176

They had Eazy getting the majority of money but cube and Dre doing the work

Cube barely got paid shit for writing 2 albums that did almost 5 million

that shit don't add up so when it was time to sign again cube wasn't feeling the terms.

Last edited:
go read up on it.They offered that contract after he complained about how eazy was rich as fuck and they were getting chump change

Personally I don't think he got jerked outta millions. Cube wrote a lot of verses for NWA but so did Ren and The D.O.C., and because there wasn't a contract at first the only thing I could see him getting fucked out of was publishing money. The thing about NWA in those days was they didn't have shit on the radio at first, which means no publishing money for the songwriters or producers. When they finally made radio edited versions of "Straight Outta Compton" and, IIRC, "Gangsta Gangsta" they weren't getting as many spins as they could have because of their name. The remix to "Express Yourself" was prolly the only NWA song I can think of that got decent radio support, so there was money off of that but that's only one song.

Truthfully, Cube prolly got jerked out of maybe $100K-$200K at best, and that's being extremely optimistic.
The Jew & Easy E were making money, but he was still living at his moms house and only had like a Suzuki Samurai. I remember that from the NWA doc from back in the day. They even had an old MTV interview they showed of him there.

By this point Ice Cube was a full-time member of N.W.A along with Dr. Dre and MC Ren. Ice Cube wrote Dr. Dre's and Eazy-E's rhymes for the group's landmark album, Straight Outta Compton, released in 1988. However, towards the end of 1989, Ice Cube found himself at odds with the group's manager, Jerry Heller, after rejecting Heller's proposed contract terms.[1]

Ice Cube wrote the lyrics to approximately half of both Straight Outta Compton, and Eazy-E's solo album, Eazy-Duz-It, but he was only paid $32,000 and his contract did not confirm that he was an official member of N.W.A.[26] This led Ice Cube to leave the group and bring a private lawsuit against Jerry Heller, which was later settled out of court.[26] In response, the remaining N.W.A members attacked him on the EP 100 Miles and Runnin', and on their next and final album, Niggaz4Life.

Then he went solo after this and was to have a rap EP that went platinum.

That's his job.
He gotta make you understand shit otherwise why hire him

Yeah but there comes a point when the client doesn't know what certain words and concepts mean.

If the lawyer is explaining the terms of the contracts and the client has to stop him every 5 seconds because he doesn't understand the words that the lawyer is using then there comes a point where it's reasonable for the lawyer to tell the client to sign it, even if it's a shitty deal. The client is so uneducated that a lawyer can't help him.

Yeah but there comes a point when the client doesn't know what certain words and concepts mean.

If the lawyer is explaining the terms of the contracts and the client has to stop him every 5 seconds because he doesn't understand the words that the lawyer is using then there comes a point where it's reasonable for the lawyer to tell the client to sign it, even if it's a shitty deal. The client is so uneducated that a lawyer can't help him.

record contracts be like

In lue of the identity of the fraternization of moneys beset to the the client shall indubitably incinerate any confound of the intercommunication
translation. You not getting paid

Back