Welcome To aBlackWeb

De La Soul Still Gettin Raped By Their Label

these dudes are from middle class - lower class households.back then your average hood dude or urban black teen didn't have access or knowledge of the business.

Plus they were just glad to get a shot.

New Niggas still getting jerked in 2019

Last edited:
"... Do y’all understand I been waiting DECADES to finally listen to their awe inspiring work in the car, on lunch break, in the gym, just chillin?..."

So Questlove too lazy to rip his own MP3's from CD? I might understand being too lazy to convert the music from vinyl, but from CD's??? Nah b, you just lazy as shit.

Ipod and itunes been out for over decade, fuck is he talking about

The crazy part is that 10% gotta be divided by three dudes. So is more like a little over 3% each and then the taxes gotta be taken out of that profit. No wonder them niggas needed a kickstarter to get the last album done.

Jay-z gon get these niggas a lawyer too?

these dudes are from middle class - lower class households.back then your average hood dude or urban black teen didn't have access or knowledge of the business.

Plus they were just glad to get a shit.

New Niggas still getting jerked in 2019

It's even less acceptable for new niggas 'cause everything you need to know before sitting down at the table with the A&R or whomever is freely available via Google search.

Being glad to get a shot doesn't excuse anything. Even back then there were stories about artists getting fucked over by the labels so it makes no sense not to go in there without a lawyer or without taking the contract to one.

Tommy Boy has stated that they are willing to Renegotiate the terms for De La's contract for all their Tommy Boy albums.

Yeah but if your lawyer thinks you're uneducated, and you can't express yourself clearly, or there's basic business language that you don't understand he's not going to hold your hand and explain business 101 to you.

There comes a point where your lawyer can't do all the thinking and talking for you. He'll just tell you to sign the contract so he can get his check and move on.

The lawyer's job, what he/she actually gets paid for, is exactly the bolded. Their job is to take the contract, go over it with a fine tooth comb, and explain to you everything that happens to your music, ownership of said music, royalties, mechanicals, etc and for how long this goes on if you sign it.

No rank.

Guru an average rapper if we bein' nice

The lawyer's job, what he/she actually gets paid for, is exactly the bolded. Their job is to take the contract, go over it with a fine tooth comb, and explain to you everything that happens to your music, ownership of said music, royalties, mechanicals, etc and for how long this goes on if you sign it.

Yeah but you need to know business 101 before you sit at the table with the vultures. Understand that your lawyer thinks more like a record exec and not like an artist.

If you don't know how to download a publishing form off the internet, fill it out, and mail it to the library of congress with a $50 money order, he's going to think you're an imbicil for considering splitting your publishing 50/50 when you can own 100% for $50.

Yeah but you need to know business 101 before you sit at the table with the vultures. Understand that your lawyer thinks more like a record exec and not like an artist.

If you don't know how to download a publishing form off the internet, fill it out, and mail it to the library of congress with a $50 money order, he's going to think you're an imbicil for considering splitting your publishing 50/50 when you can own 100% for $50.

yeah... publishing simply doesn't work that way. You're aaaaaaaaall types of wrong here.

yeah... publishing simply doesn't work that way. You're aaaaaaaaall types of wrong here.

If you want to publish your song you type the lyrics out, record it in fruity loops with a $50 mic and mail the cd, the lyrics, and the publishing form to the library of congress. Splitting the publishing 50/50 means you're clueless.

I'm on my phone now but when I get home I'll go into greater detail

If you want to publish your song you type the lyrics out, record it in fruity loops with a $50 mic and mail the cd, the lyrics, and the publishing form to the library of congress. Splitting the publishing 50/50 means you're clueless.

Still incredibly wrong.

How about you just stop now, cause it's clear you have no idea what publishing is. And before you get it in your head that I'm wrong, just know that I have publishing credits through BMI.

When I say that you're wrong, I'm not talking out of my ass. I've gone through the process and that ain't it.

Another thing to consider is they were 18/19 years old when they came into the industry. They were sitting at the table with lawyers and MBAs in their 50s.

They were naive and got taken advantage of.
Ice Cube was younger than that when he started writing and recording for Ruthless. Even at that young age Cube was smart enough to not sign the bullshit contract that Eazy and Heller were pushing on him. When it was all said and done Cube was the only person who left Ruthless with his asshole still in tact.

Being young is no excuse for signing your life away to this vulture ass industry. Get a lawyer before you get a pen.

Last edited:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Yeah but if your lawyer thinks you're uneducated, and you can't express yourself clearly, or there's basic business language that you don't understand he's not going to hold your hand and explain business 101 to you.

There comes a point where your lawyer can't do all the thinking and talking for you. He'll just tell you to sign the contract so he can get his check and move on.
That's his job.
He gotta make you understand shit otherwise why hire him

Back