Welcome To aBlackWeb

Dallas Officer Amber Guyger's trial for the murder of Botham Shem Jean begins (FOUND GUILTY)

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article218071180.html

Attorney calls for Dallas officer who killed neighbor to be arrested, denies some rumors

The family of Botham Shem Jean — the man who was killed by a Dallas police officer on Thursday night — is calling for the “swift and immediate arrest of the officer involved.”

In a press conference on Saturday evening, attorney Lee Merritt said the family is upset that an arrest warrant hasn’t been issued.

“The warrant that seemed to be looming was withdrawn,” he said. “From everything we’ve heard, we’re not sure exactly what happened. Everyone we’ve spoke to today provides enough evidence for a charge of manslaughter ... there is likely evidence for an even stiffer penalty.”

In a tweet on Saturday night, the Dallas Police Department identified the officer as Amber Guyger. The officer was identified first by Lee Merritt, one of the attorneys hired to represent the Jean family.

Guyger’s name had also been circulating throughout social media since at least Friday.

Jean, 26, was killed in his own apartment at around 10 p.m. Thursday by an off-duty, uniformed Dallas Police officer who said she mistook Jean’s apartment for her own when she got off work.

Dallas Police Chief Renee Hall said Friday “at my request, we are in the process of obtaining a warrant based on the circumstances we have now.” She later added the warrant would be for manslaughter.

However, Hall said on Saturday that the Texas Rangers, who are now investigating the shooting, have asked that they “hold off on the warrant until they have an opportunity to investigate” some of the information that was provided to them during an interview with Guyger. Hall didn’t elaborate.

“The ball is in their court to investigate, deliberate and come back with a decision,” she said.

Sara Mokuria, a co-founder of Mothers Against Police Brutality, said this is an unacceptable way for Dallas to represent itself to the world.

“We want full transparency,” she said. “We would like the name of the officer to be released publicly and we would like the district attorney to act swiftly and give us immediate charges.”

Hall said the officer’s name wouldn’t be released until she is arrested.

Merritt also denied rumors that Jean and the officer knew each other.

“We have nothing to substantiate those claims,” he said. “Certainly no one that has been attached to the family or any of the law enforcement officers we’ve spoken to can confirm that, in fact they say just the opposite.”

Asked if he was worried about the speculation and rumors spreading about the shooting, he again called for transparency.

Earlier in the day, Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said that justice will be served.

Both Rawlings and state Sen. Royce West asked for Dallas residents to be patient as authorities work to figure out what exactly happened Thursday night.

“Is this a white on back crime? Yes,” West said. “It was a white, female Dallas police officer who shot and killed a person from St. Lucia of African descent. Is this a race-related crime? Don’t know. I would hold any type of decision you make on what happened until all of the facts come in.”

Several questions still remain — such as how the officer got into the apartment, why she thought it was hers, how long she was there and what exactly happened between her and Jean. Hall said a blood draw has been done to determine if the officer had drugs or alcohol in her system.

“For some strange reason, the door was open and she was able to gain entry into the apartment. We need to find out whether there was a personal relationship,” West said. “There are so many facts that need to be looked at before determining what kind of homicide this is.”

In a response to the mayor’s press conference, Mokuria said: “We know that there have been calls for peace, but peace does not come without justice, and so in this moment we are calling for justice ... This is an opportunity for the city to be transparent ... to correct the wrongs that have been done.”

Rawlings said Jean’s death is a very serious issue for the city.

“Botham Jean was exactly the sort of citizen we want to have in the city of Dallas,” he said. “A professional ... a believer in his church, a neighbor to his friends. A man that always had a smile on his face. And for that reason, this is a terrible, terrible thing that has happened. Not only has he lost his life, but we’ve lost a potential leader for this city.”

The mayor said he’s met with Jean’s mother and sister. Jean’s father will be arriving in Dallas in the coming days. Rawlings has also spoken with the prime minister of Saint Lucia, where Jean is from.

“I offered my apologizes on the behalf of the city of Dallas,” Rawlings said.

According to the Dallas Police Department’s blog, Guyger has been involved in a shooting before. In 2017, she shot Uvaldo Perez, 47.

Officers from the Crime Response Team, which Guyger was a member of, responded to the 8300 block of Reva Street after receiving information from undercover officers that a wanted woman as at the location. The woman was in a car with Perez and when police arrived, Perez left the vehicle and confronted the officers, police said.

Perez grabbed one of the officer’s Tasers. He was eventually charged.

A Dallas police officer will be charged with manslaughter after she walked into an apartment she mistakenly believed was her own on Thursday night and shot and killed the 26-year-old man who was inside, Chief Renee Hall said.

The tea tho:

41410676_628463227548286_1390678997053997056_n.jpg

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...after-duty-dallas-officer-kills-man-apartment

Ted Cruz unswayed on NFL anthem protests after off-duty Dallas officer kills man in his own apartment

HUMBLE — Sen. Ted Cruz has sought to make the NFL protests during the national anthem a flash point in his campaign. On Saturday, as Dallas police sorted out why an off duty officer killed a man in his own apartment, Cruz dug in.

Both Cruz and Rep. Beto O'Rourke agreed that a thorough investigation of the tragedy is warranted. But Cruz insisted that kneeling during the national anthem or showing disrespect to the American flag isn't.

"The facts in that Dallas shooting are horrific and tragic, and all of our hearts go out to the individual who was killed in his own home — and to the officer who presumably came home, from what I understand, from what's been reported, she thought it was her own home so she presumably believed there was an intruder there. That's a tragic circumstance," Cruz said when asked about the shooting and the protests during a campaign stop northeast of Houston.

Dallas officials said the officer thought she had entered her own apartment after working a night shift, and mistook 26-year-old Botham Jean, a native of St. Lucia who worked at Pricewaterhouse Coopers, as an intruder. The officer had also shot a suspect last year during an arrest.

"I expect that the legal system and law enforcement specifically will examine what happened and how everyone behaved. But that doesn't for a moment condone protesters disrespecting the American flag, disrespecting our national anthem," Cruz said.

O'Rourke has defended football players taking a knee during the pregame playing of the national anthem to draw attention to attacks on unarmed black Americans by police. Recent comments on the topic at a town hall meeting drew viral attention online. Celebrities lauded him, and Ellen DeGeneres heaped praise on him on The Ellen Show.

"I don't know that it vindicates anything. It's a tragedy, and it's a reminder that we continue to see unarmed black men killed in this country at an alarming rate," O'Rourke said Saturday after a rally in north Houston. "And there has to be a far better and more effective response than we have seen thus far. There has to be real accountability for the use of force. There has to be real justice at the end of these investigations. Wait till the facts come in to render any judgment on this, but I do think it's tragic and I know that as a country, we need to be able to do more."

Cruz linked the uproar to allegations that former President Barack Obama stirred suspicion against police.

The latest Dallas incident, he said, "also doesn't condone eight years under the Obama administration of demonizing and vilifying law enforcement."

"I am proud to support the men and women of law enforcement. Does that mean that police officers never make a mistake and never violate the law? No, of course not. ... And police are held to the law like everyone else," he said.

"You want to talk about black lives matter? Talk about enforcing the law in inner cities, in cities like Chicago, where African American children and adults are murdered by violence and homicide and gangs and illegal immigration," Cruz said, arguing that "demonization of police" only makes officers wary of doing their jobs, leaving citizens less safe.

"I think every life matters. Absolutely black lives matters. Absolutely blue lives matter. Every life matters, and the way to protect every life is to support law enforcement. Stop these criminals, stop these gang members and keep our communities safe," he said.

I hate Ted Cruz so much...

I guess I'll keep up for the sake of keeping up, tho I already know how this movie will end.....

Back