Welcome To aBlackWeb

Can you identify all 50 states?

I have this thing where I gauge a persons intelligence by their ability to identify the states and know state capitals. I've known all 50 states and all 50 state capitals since I was 10.

One of the ways I was able to grasp all of the states and capitals quicker than anybody else in the school was sports.

Believe it or not sports was the most influential thing that led to me learning all 50 states and state capitals.

When I was as young as 8 I used to watch the Sports Center morning re-runs all morning. The Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Kenny Mayne, Rich Eisan ones. I was already watching every basketball, football, and baseball game that came on TV already but when Sports Center came on in the 90's it was literally your only opportunity as a kid to see what was going on in sports around the whole country.

Back in the day there was no social media, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket, and you could not whip out a phone and lookup whatever sports info you wanted. You either had to read the newspapers or watch Sports Center. The problem with the newspapers though is you would only see local shit regarding sports and there was very little info about teams in other cities.

Anyways, When I was watching college sports I would always pay attention to what the teams mascots were. The majority of them had something interesting to do with the state that they represented like Ohio State Buckeyes, Texas Longhorns, Florida Gators, California Golden Bears.

I could easily associate a state by which sports teams play there. The college teams helped me learn the state capitals. I knew what most of the state capitals were because In knew where the teams played. Most of the state schools play in or around the state capital.

When it came to the pros it made it very easy to remember the states because what a lot of Americans don't notice is that generally speaking people in America and especially sports fans, tend to take on the personalities of their sports teams.

Like when you think of The Lakers you think of star power (Hollywood) and showtime. When you think of The Chicago Bears you think about toughness, cold, windy, midwest shit. Florida teams give you a hot and sunny vibe like the Heat, Dolphins, Bucs, Jags, Magic. East cost teams like the 76ers, Knicks, Ravens, Redsk......err WFT, Giants, Jets, give you a hustling, bustling, busy city vibe. Then you have cities like Boston and teams like The Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox that give a real racist Maga type vibe. You know like on some American Revolution, Boston tea Party shit.

Anyways. If you watch a lot of sports as a kid it will assist with your understanding of geography more than any social studies teacher ever could. Plus it will give you a better understanding of sports and American life in general. You'll start to understand why athletes prefer to play in certain cities over others regardless of money.

I have this thing where I gauge a persons intelligence by their ability to identify the states and know state capitals. I've known all 50 states and all 50 state capitals since I was 10.

One of the ways I was able to grasp all of the states and capitals quicker than anybody else in the school was sports.

Believe it or not sports was the most influential thing that led to me learning all 50 states and state capitals.

When I was as young as 8 I used to watch the Sports Center morning re-runs all morning. The Stuart Scott, Dan Patrick, Kenny Mayne, Rich Eisan ones. I was already watching every basketball, football, and baseball game that came on TV already but when Sports Center came on in the 90's it was literally your only opportunity as a kid to see what was going on in sports around the whole country.

Back in the day there was no social media, NBA League Pass, NFL Sunday Ticket, and you could not whip out a phone and lookup whatever sports info you wanted. You either had to read the newspapers or watch Sports Center. The problem with the newspapers though is you would only see local shit regarding sports and there was very little info about teams in other cities.

Anyways, When I was watching college sports I would always pay attention to what the teams mascots were. The majority of them had something interesting to do with the state that they represented like Ohio State Buckeyes, Texas Longhorns, Florida Gators, California Golden Bears.

I could easily associate a state by which sports teams play there. The college teams helped me learn the state capitals. I knew what most of the state capitals were because In knew where the teams played. Most of the state schools play in or around the state capital.

When it came to the pros it made it very easy to remember the states because what a lot of Americans don't notice is that generally speaking people in America and especially sports fans, tend to take on the personalities of their sports teams.

Like when you think of The Lakers you think of star power (Hollywood) and showtime. When you think of The Chicago Bears you think about toughness, cold, windy, midwest shit. Florida teams give you a hot and sunny vibe like the Heat, Dolphins, Bucs, Jags, Magic. East cost teams like the 76ers, Knicks, Ravens, Redsk......err WFT, Giants, Jets, give you a hustling, bustling, busy city vibe. Then you have cities like Boston and teams like The Celtics, Patriots, and Red Sox that give a real racist Maga type vibe. You know like on some American Revolution, Boston tea Party shit.

Anyways. If you watch a lot of sports as a kid it will assist with your understanding of geography more than any social studies teacher ever could. Plus it will give you a better understanding of sports and American life in general. You'll start to understand why athletes prefer to play in certain cities over others regardless of money.

Co-sign the bolded. Some of them will trip you up, because they've moved. But I tell people all the time that you can learn a lot about a city or state based solely on the name and mascot of the local sports teams.

Nope. I wasn't born and raised in the US. I only know the majors, and states whose representatives I hate.

50 states was easy, let's go

Africa-Blank-map-Outline.jpg.webp

South-America-Blank-map-Outline.jpg.webp

Europe_blank_map.png

Back