Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Buying Back the Hood

I am too but that nigga dos gotta be using speech to text

No way he typing all that lol

Ok...couple questions about a few points you made that stood out to me that I wanna ask about...

1. How do you envision this getting addressed?

2. Starting a business ISNT for everyone. Not everyone is in a position to attempt to start their own business. Maybe they need the benefits that their current job provides as they stack up their dough before they make that step..insurance, training, etc. Sure being an entrepreneur is freeing but we still have to look at how folks that don't have their own businesses can contribute to building the hood up.. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I think the first thing is checking the classism obstacle.....poor look at rich some type of way and rich looks at poor some type of way.

While some people are welcomed back some aren't. Why is that when a person coming to give back will help? That's some other shit tho.
If it's a common goal, why the fight? If the hood needs resources....why does it matter who they came from or if the person was a nerd it whatever.

And when the resources arrive...take care of those resources.
We used to play ball on milk crates. Someone bought us a rim....next day it was torn down and we was back to milk crates.
Just because you didn't have doesn't mean destroy.
That's not saying the people who did it was bad...they just have too much unused energy.

As far as business....you are never truly ready. At some point you have to step out on faith.
You don't need to be a genius but some education helps. That's why we have Barnes and nobles.
You don't need tons of money. But money does help.
The best thing you can do is plan.
And this is where white people and women are alike. Both are hardheaded and both will go after what they want.
Real shit.....I only ever hear american black dudes say business isn't for everyone. But neither is kids or handling liquor yet people do it.

Trust me I understand the fears. But what are you doing on Saturday? On a Sunday afternoon? Those days can be for planning and starting while you have a job.
I understand bills need to be paid. But out of the stupid bills(power,water,cable,phone) what's holding you hostage? Mortgage and car? You may have made yourself a slave to your possessions and now your afraid to take a step.
Make them things work for you. You may have to sell the house and get a duplex And do Uber and/or lift in the weekends. Because the debt has people trapped. And once you are there....it stops other things

I think the first thing is checking the classism obstacle.....poor look at rich some type of way and rich looks at poor some type of way.

While some people are welcomed back some aren't. Why is that when a person coming to give back will help? That's some other shit tho.
If it's a common goal, why the fight? If the hood needs resources....why does it matter who they came from or if the person was a nerd it whatever.

And when the resources arrive...take care of those resources.
We used to play ball on milk crates. Someone bought us a rim....next day it was torn down and we was back to milk crates.
Just because you didn't have doesn't mean destroy.
That's not saying the people who did it was bad...they just have too much unused energy.

As far as business....you are never truly ready. At some point you have to step out on faith.
You don't need to be a genius but some education helps. That's why we have Barnes and nobles.
You don't need tons of money. But money does help.
The best thing you can do is plan.
And this is where white people and women are alike. Both are hardheaded and both will go after what they want.
Real shit.....I only ever hear american black dudes say business isn't for everyone. But neither is kids or handling liquor yet people do it.

Trust me I understand the fears. But what are you doing on Saturday? On a Sunday afternoon? Those days can be for planning and starting while you have a job.
I understand bills need to be paid. But out of the stupid bills(power,water,cable,phone) what's holding you hostage? Mortgage and car? You may have made yourself a slave to your possessions and now your afraid to take a step.
Make them things work for you. You may have to sell the house and get a duplex And do Uber and/or lift in the weekends. Because the debt has people trapped. And once you are there....it stops other things

To your first point I think we are in alignment as far as.... the neighbourhood has to have like-minded goals... the shit will not succeed otherwise.

To your second point... I hear you but I think you kinda skipped over reasons why someone might not be able to start a business. Maybe they have a so-so job but the insurance is good and their kid or other family is sick... You can't just blanket that statement and say.... "Oh just take a chance on yourself and start your own business". Theres pressing shit that needs to be addressed for some folks.

I'm with you that on your down time... take that opportunity to build yourself up.. learn some new shit to build something for yourself.. but the reality of the situation is... is that everyone cant just up and quit their jobs and lose insurance on a hope and a prayer. Props to those that make that leap but I can understand why many dont. It's about being practical

To your first point I think we are in alignment as far as.... the neighbourhood has to have like-minded goals... the shit will not succeed otherwise.

To your second point... I hear you but I think you kinda skipped over reasons why someone might not be able to start a business. Maybe they have a so-so job but the insurance is good and their kid or other family is sick... You can't just blanket that statement and say.... "Oh just take a chance on yourself and start your own business". Theres pressing shit that needs to be addressed for some folks.

I'm with you that on your down time... take that opportunity to build yourself up.. learn some new shit to build something for yourself.. but the reality of the situation is... is that everyone cant just up and quit their jobs and lose insurance on a hope and a prayer. Props to those that make that leap but I can understand why many dont. It's about being practical
Right and that's why I said on those Saturdays and Sundays....start there.
You can also plan out the insurance coverages too.

I'm not saying it's easy and it can be overwhelming....but that's only because it's new. Anything new has a learning curve.
but let me ask you this....jobs are not loyal....so why not have a side chick for when the main act up?

It's very possible it's just mad difficult to convince people in the hood what's possible. A lot of them cats believe their neighborhood is everything. It isn't until you travel the world or somewhere foreign does your mind open up and you see how tiny your neighborhood is and how your perspective changes on what's possible for you.

Really just gotta expose people to different and positive possibilities.
all true..

One thing that sometimes surprises me is people who go to other places only to want to find the "hood".
i never understood that.
while i can understand people not wanting to feel different or be around like minded people....whats the point while on vacation?

all true..

One thing that sometimes surprises me is people who go to other places only to want to find the "hood".
i never understood that.
while i can understand people not wanting to feel different or be around like minded people....whats the point while on vacation?
i think you are being too literal, at least thats how im interpreting your remarks

you go to the "hood" spots, at least to me, for food b/c its going to be the closest thing to something that reminds you of back home

why pay $50 for some marked up bastardized version of a dish when you can get it at the hood spot for $10?

i think you are being too literal, at least thats how im interpreting your remarks

you go to the "hood" spots, at least to me, for food b/c its going to be the closest thing to something that reminds you of back home

why pay $50 for some marked up bastardized version of a dish when you can get it at the hood spot for $10?
yea.....ok.
when im in whatever country.....im not there to go to a hood.
im not a foodie so the food doesnt matter. i tend to shop at the local grocery and do my own cooking if im not at a restaurant.

but thats not whats said....it more on the lines of " i want to see how other poor people live". why?
you on vacation., right?
or i hear, "i want to be around the real people"

sounds crazy to me.

yea.....ok.
when im in whatever country.....im not there to go to a hood.
im not a foodie so the food doesnt matter. i tend to shop at the local grocery and do my own cooking if im not at a restaurant.

but thats not whats said....it more on the lines of " i want to see how other poor people live". why?
you on vacation., right?
or i hear, "i want to be around the real people"

sounds crazy to me.
oh if thats what you talking about, then yea..thats weird af

but idk man, i remember people wanting to go to the lower ninth ward after katrina that had never been to nola prior...

when i first moved there to go to school, i wanted to see all the places they rapped about in songs tho so...idk

White folks gentrify the hood all the time.. how can we be proactive and take steps to invest in our own communities before they come around and buy shit for pennies on the dollar?

Feel free to drop strategies, real estate tips/resources. Things to look out for etc.

@AP21 Feel free to move any relevant posts

@OhMars @BDP™️

The problem is this is by design. The hood is underserved and underrepresented in ways that other neighborhoods aren't.

Here's just one small example... in poorer neighborhoods you'll see very few garbage cans on the corners. Sounds like a small thing, right? Well that leads to more litter which lowers property values and necessitates stricter parking rules due to street cleaning which in turn means more parking ticket revenue for the city that gets used into things like... public garbage cans in white neighborhoods.

Well after a while the property values get so low that guess who comes along and decides to buy it all up. Next they're homesteading in the hood like pioneers and all of a sudden you see police everywhere not to harass them but to make them feel safe. Next the garbage cans start magically appearing and the hood looks less grimey and feels safer and people start to equate that with the gentrifiers bringing prosperity along with them when in reality it's just our tax dollars finally being applied to our own (former) neighborhoods.

The hood is a trap. Why go back to a trap you escaped from?

oh if thats what you talking about, then yea..thats weird af

but idk man, i remember people wanting to go to the lower ninth ward after katrina that had never been to nola prior...

when i first moved there to go to school, i wanted to see all the places they rapped about in songs tho so...idk
i think people are curious about devastation. i get that. but even with what you said...its not about a hang out spot.

i was once in an airport in miami.
these philly dudes was on their first trip with they girls....
one dude was just happy as fuck on facetime with his people back in philly.
i just happy. talking loud and just being a young dude.
he telling stories about how much fun he had and how he couldnt swim but was in the water going in circles.....it was nice to see someone happy to experience his first vacation.
then the dude on the phone asked him if he went to the hood and what they hoods look like.
you saw dudes whole aura change. saying nah we was going to go but we was having to much fun.
dude on the line saying he shoulda went to see how they live yadda yadda.

like homie couldnt be happy for his boy.
i felt bad for dude.
like what if he came from the hood and was happy to be out the hood for a moment? dude aitn even back home yet and already niggas aint happy for him.
smdh.

The problem is this is by design. The hood is underserved and underrepresented in ways that other neighborhoods aren't.

Here's just one small example... in poorer neighborhoods you'll see very few garbage cans on the corners. Sounds like a small thing, right? Well that leads to more litter which lowers property values and necessitates stricter parking rules due to street cleaning which in turn means more parking ticket revenue for the city that gets used into things like... public garbage cans in white neighborhoods.

Well after a while the property values get so low that guess who comes along and decides to buy it all up. Next they're homesteading in the hood like pioneers and all of a sudden you see police everywhere not to harass them but to make them feel safe. Next the garbage cans start magically appearing and the hood looks less grimey and feels safer and people start to equate that with the gentrifiers bringing prosperity along with them when in reality it's just our tax dollars finally being applied to our own (former) neighborhoods.

The hood is a trap. Why go back to a trap you escaped from?
Whats stopping us from taking the initiative to get those garbage cans?

This is where getting involved in local government plays a part...

or those affluent blacks that have the means to give back can just pool money together and buy trash cans per block or street?

Whats stopping us from taking the initiative to get those garbage cans?

This is where getting involved in local government plays a part...

or those affluent blacks that have the means to give back can just pool money together and buy trash cans per block or street?

True... but it's not fair to expect people to live their lives in adverse conditions and do whatever they have to do to improve their situation and then on top of that somehow fix the very system that was designed to keep them down in the first place.

I salute those who do but it's basically a losing battle. No matter who is responsible for improving the conditions in a poor neighborhood the gentrifiers will still come and the rent will still go up.

True... but it's not fair to expect people to live their lives in adverse conditions and do whatever they have to do to improve their situation and then on top of that somehow fix the very system that was designed to keep them down in the first place.

I salute those who do but it's basically a losing battle. No matter who is responsible for improving the conditions in a poor neighborhood the gentrifiers will still come and the rent will still go up.

what we saying is...

instead of the gentrifiers being white

why not "gentrify" our own hood...

Looks like Queen Latifah is going to be in on building some affordable housing in Newark:

"Hip-hop icon Queen Latifah is returning to her hometown of Newark to invest in a cluster of multi-family town homes along Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street.

The $14 million project is expected to break ground in the summer.

Latifah, a co-president of BlueSugar Corporation, is working with GonSosa Development on the project, which is anchored outside of the city’s downtown, spanning the West and South wards.

The project includes 20 three-family town homes and a three-story mixed-used building with an additional 16 units. Plans for the building include a fitness center and 1,900 square feet of commercial space that will be rented to nonprofits. The 60 units in the townhouses will be market rate; the 16 units in the building will be affordable.

Rents for the market rate units will start around $1,800 a month and are expected to open by December 2020. The affordable housing building is expected to be finished in December 2021; units there will be priced according to a person’s income.

Cristina Pinzon, a spokeswoman for the developers, said both companies recognize the need for affordable housing in and around Newark.

“They understand how difficult it is to make ends meet for many residents and want to be part of the solution. They remain dedicated to making life better in communities like Newark,” she said in a statement.

Latifah, who was born in Newark and raised in East Orange, has previously embraced her Jersey roots. As the commencement speaker for Rutgers-Newark last May, Latifah told the graduating class, “I couldn’t be more proud to be one of Newark’s own today, this is home.”"

Source: https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/02/qu...rk-and-building-14m-worth-of-new-housing.html

Looks like Queen Latifah is going to be in on building some affordable housing in Newark:

"Hip-hop icon Queen Latifah is returning to her hometown of Newark to invest in a cluster of multi-family town homes along Springfield Avenue and South 17th Street.

The $14 million project is expected to break ground in the summer.

Latifah, a co-president of BlueSugar Corporation, is working with GonSosa Development on the project, which is anchored outside of the city’s downtown, spanning the West and South wards.

The project includes 20 three-family town homes and a three-story mixed-used building with an additional 16 units. Plans for the building include a fitness center and 1,900 square feet of commercial space that will be rented to nonprofits. The 60 units in the townhouses will be market rate; the 16 units in the building will be affordable.

Rents for the market rate units will start around $1,800 a month and are expected to open by December 2020. The affordable housing building is expected to be finished in December 2021; units there will be priced according to a person’s income.

Cristina Pinzon, a spokeswoman for the developers, said both companies recognize the need for affordable housing in and around Newark.

“They understand how difficult it is to make ends meet for many residents and want to be part of the solution. They remain dedicated to making life better in communities like Newark,” she said in a statement.

Latifah, who was born in Newark and raised in East Orange, has previously embraced her Jersey roots. As the commencement speaker for Rutgers-Newark last May, Latifah told the graduating class, “I couldn’t be more proud to be one of Newark’s own today, this is home.”"

Source: https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/02/qu...rk-and-building-14m-worth-of-new-housing.html
Dopeeeeeeeee

Back