Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Buying Back the Hood

this goes to what killer mike said about the school shit

black people with affluence and influence should be buying up small corners at a time. Get the resources, and build ya own schools and staff them with people that look like us. You dont HAVE to subscribe to the state's curriculum for standardized testing or any of that common core shit

Teach the subjects/trades you want to teach

When it comes to the environment of the hood...what multiplies and magnifies the problems we face:

No Jobs
Poor Schools
Food Deserts
Little or No Healthcare

those three things can be fixed by doing what you said...

the affluent upper middle class blacks reach back and invest in those things

just those alone would tremendously improve the quality of life

thus reducing crime cause now folks have thier basic needs met

I think organising with like-minded people is key as well.

We can have the greatest of intentions to improve the hood but how do we address those with the crab in a barrel mentality that just dont give a fuck about nothing and just want to tear shit down?
That's for sure a thing that's would have to be addressed. Everyone won't be on board and some people will be left behind.

Why not elevate the place where you come from? Why add your value to another area. Make the "hood" the place to be.

You don't have to live in an area to elevated. When white investors gentrify black areas, they don't live there. They just supply the capital and business needed to effect the change. I'm not saying that black people shouldn't try to build up the hood. But if you have money and security, why would you want to live in high crime areas where you're more likely to be a target?

You don't have to live in an area to elevated. When white investors gentrify black areas, they don't live there. They just supply the capital and business needed to effect the change. I'm not saying that black people shouldn't try to build up the hood. But if you have money and security, why would you want to live in high crime areas where you're more likely to be a target?
Who do you think lives in gentrified neighborhoods?

And if that's not your thing to live there that's not a problem.
But like I said, it does more to inspire youth to see there neighbor with a nice house doing well in life.

Well I got it for free from a church that owned a gang of back taxes. Just had to pay the taxes off, which was about market value.
Got 22,000 sqft for 24k

So for those of us that don't know much about real estate, land etc.. where did you go to look for that information so you could make an educated decision on making a purchase like that?

What type plans you got for it(if you dont mind sharing.. if you do.. all good)?

@The Lonious Monk @OhMars

both of yall make valid points...

but I feel like we need to address the need first...

cause as long as folks are broke, hungry, poorly educated and sick

an upper middle class black living in the hood will be seen as food and possibly disrespect...not inspiration imo

once their basic needs are met...now your nice car, house etc isnt seen as disrespect or a come up...it IS inspiration

cause now its...im doing good now...but I look at Dr. OhMars...and now im inspired to do better....

Who do you think lives in gentrified neighborhoods?

And if that's not your thing to live there that's not a problem.
But like I said, it does more to inspire youth to see there neighbor with a nice house doing well in life.

People to which the updated neighborhoods were marketed. It's not like a wave of white people move into poor black areas while they are still run-down. The areas are given an influx of money that builds them up and then the white people move in.

I agree your last statement, but I think you can do that by investing in the hood and building it up. You don't have to live there for that. Also, I know you didn't say it, but moving out of the hood doesn't mean going to live around white people. Depending on where you are, there are middle and upper class black neighborhoods.

@deadeye, what are people in VA doing about the impoverished areas there?

Same story all over the country bruh.

Gentrification is everywhere.

As far as "tangibles"..........we recently got Medicaid expansion.

That's gonna help almost 500,000 people.

Now, if you're talking about buying property in the hood....again, other than the gentrifying white people........I haven't heard anything about any black people doing anything like that on a large scale.

Same story all over the country bruh.

Gentrification is everywhere.

As far as "tangibles"..........we recently got Medicaid expansion.

That's gonna help almost 500,000 people.

Now, if you're talking about buying property in the hood....again, other than the gentrifying white people........I haven't heard anything about any black people doing anything like that on a large scale.
kinda unrelated but are you more concerned that 500K people will get help from medicaid expansion or do you care if the majority of those people are black

this might spawn off into another thread btw

kinda unrelated but are you more concerned that 500K people will get help from medicaid expansion or do you care if the majority of those people are black

this might spawn off into another thread btw

Hard to say because I've got a feeling most of them are black since we make up a large percentage of the uninsured.

I'm torn on the trickle down thing though.

I mean, it makes sense because it would be political suicide for Booker or Harris to propose something specific for black people.

At the same time though, despite the trickle down benefits........it's starting to feel more and more like the Democratic Party is just playing us.

Hard to say because I've got a feeling most of them are black since we make up a large percentage of the uninsured.

I mean, it makes sense because it would be political suicide for Booker or Harris to propose something specific for black people.

At the same time though, despite the trickle down benefits........it's starting to feel more and more like the Democratic Party is just playing us.
ok

I'ma make another thread and @ you there

People to which the updated neighborhoods were marketed. It's not like a wave of white people move into poor black areas while they are still run-down. The areas are given an influx of money that builds them up and then the white people move in.

I agree your last statement, but I think you can do that by investing in the hood and building it up. You don't have to live there for that. Also, I know you didn't say it, but moving out of the hood doesn't mean going to live around white people. Depending on where you are, there are middle and upper class black neighborhoods.
I've seen it first hand in Houstons 3rd ward. It will go from a place white people couldn't get paid to visit, to mid rises and white folks walking there dog in about 4 years.

But I agree with you, we just have different approaches at it. Neither are wrong in my opinion

Let's be clear with terms. Things like Medicare for All is not a trickle down benefit. And the corporate democrats are playing the game and us. I think progressive democrats like Bernie are actually trying to help American citizens. I don't think they necessarily want to do much specifically for black people, but I do think their policies would be good for the black community.

Nipsey just bought out the plaza on Crenshaw where his 'Marathon' shop is. Gonna tear it down and turn it to a 5 story residential and rebuild his store o the ground level. Big shit.

So for those of us that don't know much about real estate, land etc.. where did you go to look for that information so you could make an educated decision on making a purchase like that?

What type plans you got for it(if you dont mind sharing.. if you do.. all good)?
I don't know how yalls cities/counties work but in Harris county everything can be found online.

To find delinquent taxes you need to get access to the tax accessor - collectors records. It will show you who is delinquent and by how much.

To find appraisal values so you aren't paying crazy over market value, you can use your local governmental appraisal district. They access property so they can know how much to tax you.

Where I'm from it will show if there taxes are under suit. I'd go for those first. Contact the owner let them know they are about to take it from them. Offer a grand or what you think is far to sign over the property. Then set up payment for taxes.

But do you research on the property before you commit. There might be liens on it. J would go through a title company just for extra assurance.

I plan to build a house on one lot and a community garden on the other. Come work the land and take some produce with you kinda thing.

Let's be clear with terms. Things like Medicare for All is not a trickle down benefit. And the corporate democrats are playing the game and us. I think progressive democrats like Bernie are actually trying to help American citizens. I don't think they necessarily want to do much specifically for black people, but I do think their policies would be good for the black community.

That's exactly what I meant.

Idk, maybe I should clarify.

When I say trickle down in this context, it's not the same as Reagan's trickle down economics.

I'm speaking in terms of democrats saying they're gonna do things to help everybody......and, since we're a part of everybody........we're gonna benefit by default.

Wall of text warning.

The problems in our Hoods start at home.
The parents display of emotion regarding where they are and how they teach their kids about where they are.
Also allowing child to dream.

I can not begin to tell you how many kids say how their parent told them what was not possible. Then you have parents who don't want their child to outshine them. Then you have too many single households with one parent doing nothing while the other does everything for the child.

The fixing of the family structure is the first step in buying back the hood. Having a sense of pride and striving to know you can do better tomorrow.
Being in the hood can be looked at in one of two ways...I'll never make it out or I have no where to go but up.

The attitude determines your altitude.

Then we have to do something about the fuck niggas. Those who hurt other black people...yet when the hipsters come ..they get no smoke. How?
It's those fuck niggas who helped destroy the hoods and lower the property value allowing Hank and bruford to come in with their parents inheritance and buy up the block.

Then...we need to look at how we care for the hoods? I used to see block clean ups....why and when did it stop?

We need more financial literacy. How many people honest visit the business and stick forum Sion makes?
How many people know how to fix their credit? How many know about tradelines or piggybacking?

That in itself can help alot of people.

Then we allow who the fuck ever come into the hood and setup shop. The Asians, Dominicans, the Jews...those shops hardly get touched...but niggas rob black stores blind.

And didn't I have .thread about starting your own business and was told by damn near everyone in it..it's not for everyone.

Funny because all I see is others starting businesses....shit black women are outpacing black men in starting beysinesses. Guess why?. Because they want freedom to not depend on anyone .and the type business they start is not dependant on an image. Too many dudes want to be seen as the man vs being seen as a business owner.

Niggas keep thinking running a business is some hard task. While it is hard..to break your neck for YOU and not for pennies on the dollar.

And people gotta understand generational wealth. The shit ain't complicated.....and it all starts with saving a dollar and obtaining assets.

And even what all I just typed...
A person with excellent credit can sell tradelines and make a nice monthly income.
The person she sells it to can fix their credit to maybe own a house and begin building generational wealth.
You have someone on the site who can help with investments, someone can be a realtor to sell the homes, someone can fixup the homes someone can manage property for those who invest in real estate so they can focus on other avenues, someone can open a market, someone can consult start ups, someone can loan money with a bank needed, someone can fix junked cars, someone can sell those cars..
I can go on and on.

The shit is right under our noses.....it's not about white people coming to get it...

I ask, do you know when you see an opportunity?
I can go anywhere and see opportunity in anything. But my perception is different than most.

I often ask questions to make people question their perception. 9 times outta 10 it goes wrong. But it's not me...it's the person not wanting to go against what they thought was right.

We all have it in us.....but why are we afraid to go get what's ours?

Can't buy back the hood if our minds ain't right.

And I won't even get into those people who think cause someone made it out...theyre a sellout or out of touch. They are another problem .

I'll be back to add more.
Cuz for me.....I been all around this planet....and I see the uniqueness and power black people have. It just frustrates me to see it given away with nothing in return.

1. Then we have to do something about the fuck niggas. Those who hurt other black people...yet when the hipsters come ..they get no smoke. How? It's those fuck niggas who helped destroy the hoods and lower the property value allowing Hank and bruford to come in with their parents inheritance and buy up the block.

2. And didn't I have .thread about starting your own business and was told by damn near everyone in it..it's not for everyone. Funny because all I see is others starting businesses....shit black women are outpacing black men in starting beysinesses. Guess why?. Because they want freedom to not depend on anyone .and the type business they start is not dependant on an image. Too many dudes want to be seen as the man vs being seen as a business owner. Niggas keep thinking running a business is some hard task. While it is hard..to break your neck for YOU and not for pennies on the dollar.

Ok...couple questions about a few points you made that stood out to me that I wanna ask about...

1. How do you envision this getting addressed?

2. Starting a business ISNT for everyone. Not everyone is in a position to attempt to start their own business. Maybe they need the benefits that their current job provides as they stack up their dough before they make that step..insurance, training, etc. Sure being an entrepreneur is freeing but we still have to look at how folks that don't have their own businesses can contribute to building the hood up.. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Back