Welcome To aBlackWeb

Buster Douglas vs Mike Tyson

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
Who is better?

Hypothetically if they fought 100 times, Mike Tyson would win 99 times out of 100.

But the fact is they fought once and Douglass won.

So who is better?

Buster Douglas was a one trick pony, didn't he lose his first title defense and only beat no name fighters the rest of his career

Tyson would win 99 out of 100 if he actually took the fights seriously

Buster Douglas was a one trick pony, didn't he lose his first title defense and only beat no name fighters the rest of his career

Tyson would win 99 out of 100 if he actually took the fights seriously

He lost his first title defense to Evander Holyfield.

@Chi-town B You didn't answer the question; Who is better?

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
Buster's style gives Mike more problems then most think, he was bigger, had a longer reach and a good jab. Lewis almost used the same blueprint to beat Mike. Don't discredit Buster and give Mike too much credit because never beat anybody worth a damn and Holmes doesn't count.

I said it once and I'll say it again, Mike was overrated af and the could've, would've, should've argument doesn't work because potential doesn't cut it

Tyson is overall a much better fighter but Buster Douglas was better that night....Buster Douglas knocking out Tyson is arguably the biggest upset in boxing history.

Tyson barely trained for that fight, and buster douglas was more focused than he's ever been in his entire life....

It just lined up right...

But overall Tyson was one if the greatest boxers to ever step though the ropes.

His career was ruined by poor management, drugs, women and greed.... It's a tragedy. But skill wise and talent wise, I don't think there's ever been anyone who was just naturally that good.

anyone can win a fight.....but can you do it time and time again.

mike was better.

Tyson barely trained for that fight, and buster douglas was more focused than he's ever been in his entire life....

It just lined up right...

But overall Tyson was one if the greatest boxers to ever step though the ropes.

His career was ruined by poor management, drugs, women and greed.... It's a tragedy. But skill wise and talent wise, I don't think there's ever been anyone who was just naturally that good.
Why did he lose to holyfield and Lewis then?

A boxer beats a puncher more times then not. Buster was a boxer. Tyson has problems with any previous champion with a good jab and high boxing IQ.

The greats don't lose to Danny Williams or Kerry McBride

• Ether
Why did he lose to holyfield and Lewis then?

A boxer beats a puncher more times then not. Buster was a boxer. Tyson has problems with any previous champion with a good jab and high boxing IQ.

The greats don't lose to Danny Williams or Kerry McBride
He was years removed from the program that got him to the table.

Tyson at 21 was still being trained by Kevin Rooney. A man that was there from the beginning. Essentially his day one. A person who knew him, treated him like family and had his best interests at heart.

By the time tyson fought Douglas, Rooney was gone and Tyson was already showing the results. He wasn't training. He was gassing in fights. He didn't throw combos, only head hunting shots. And his defense disappeared. This was before the Douglas fight. By the time he got to holyfield and Lewis he was even further removed.

Tyson was at his best at 21 when he was under Rooney.

Every fight after Spinks was a lesser version of his perfect self.

Tyson doesn't lose to Douglas, lewis, holyfield, or anyone else while Rooney was his trainer. He was not just a puncher. He was a great boxer. Most trainers today still teach Tyson technique because it was text book perfect

• Haha
He was years removed from the program that got him to the table.

Tyson at 21 was still being trained by Kevin Rooney. A man that was there from the beginning. Essentially his day one. A person who knew him, treated him like family and had his best interests at heart.

By the time tyson fought Douglas, Rooney was gone and Tyson was already showing the results. He wasn't training. He was gassing in fights. He didn't throw combos, only head hunting shots. And his defense disappeared. This was before the Douglas fight. By the time he got to holyfield and Lewis he was even further removed.

Tyson was at his best at 21 when he was under Rooney.

Every fight after Spinks was a lesser version of his perfect self.

But at the end of the day, Buster Douglass beat him fair and square.

But at the end of the day, Buster Douglass beat him fair and square.
He did.

But the worst thing Tyson ever did in his career was fire Rooney

Don King didn't want anyone around Tyson was actually gave a fuck about him. And he convinced Mike to let the man go

He did.

But the worst thing Tyson ever did in his career was fire Rooney

Don King didn't want anyone around Tyson was actually gave a fuck about him. And he convinced Mike to let the man go

Yeah Mike was in between a rock and a hard place. He signed with Don King because Don King ruled boxing in the 80s. He really had no choice but to sign with Don King. In theory Don King was the promoter that could generate the most revenue, which would be great if he paid his fighters what he promised them.

But Don King used that, "Black people need to stick together" psychology and made Tyson fire Kevin Rooney and get a Black trainer. I can totally understand how Mike fell for the, "Black people need to stick together" line. He was young, uneducated, and naive. In theory I would have loved to see Tyson surrounded by an all Black team, but at the end of the day Kevin Rooney was the best man for the job, White, Black or Asian.

Black nationalism is precarious. In theory I'd love to hire a Black man, or Black woman for the job. But sometimes the White or Latino or Asian or Arab is the most qualified.

I get what you saying with other outside vices in & around Tyson. But ruined?

He still, and most likely forever be, one of the boxers you think of when the sport is mentioned.

Back