Welcome To aBlackWeb

Netflix Bruised

PRAISE : Halle Berry not only makes some impressive displays here and there in her feature film directorial debut but i was very impressed by her physical changes and the rigorous workout routines in the film and off screen. The story : Jackie Justice, a disgraced MMA fighter who has failed at the one thing she's ever been good at - fighting. When 6-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons.
Also quite impressive are Danny Boyd Jr Jackie's 6-year-old son, Manny.The 6 year old is laser focused and then some,so young and so unflinching i was amazed.
Sheila Atim, who plays Jackie's trainer, Buddhakan turns in a tough as nails but soft around the edges performance.Adriane Lenox as Angel McQueen Jackie's mom also impressive she definitely gave me flash backs of women i knew from the neighborhood.
Always great to see the talents of Stephen McKinley Henderson,and Shamier Anderson.
The story definitely hits the right emotional chords at times .It's gritty and edgy as we go from underground fights to the more glitzier but still brutal MMA fighting rings.The fight sequences are intense and rousing and if DC/WB comics is looking to cast Giganta one day look no further than Amanda Nunes !!

PROBLEMS : One thread in the story is ultra predictable 30 minutes into the film. Some of the fight sequences could have been a bit tighter because i could actually see some of the pulled punches. Definitely some cliched turns in the story.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

BRUISED

.............But not broken

PRAISE : Halle Berry not only makes some impressive displays here and there in her feature film directorial debut but i was very impressed by her physical changes and the rigorous workout routines in the film and off screen. The story : Jackie Justice, a disgraced MMA fighter who has failed at the one thing she's ever been good at - fighting. When 6-year-old Manny, the son she walked out on years ago, returns to her doorstep, Jackie has to conquer her own demons.
Also quite impressive are Danny Boyd Jr Jackie's 6-year-old son, Manny.The 6 year old is laser focused and then some,so young and so unflinching i was amazed.
Sheila Atim, who plays Jackie's trainer, Buddhakan turns in a tough as nails but soft around the edges performance.Adriane Lenox as Angel McQueen Jackie's mom also impressive she definitely gave me flash backs of women i knew from the neighborhood.
Always great to see the talents of Stephen McKinley Henderson,and Shamier Anderson.
The story definitely hits the right emotional chords at times .It's gritty and edgy as we go from underground fights to the more glitzier but still brutal MMA fighting rings.The fight sequences are intense and rousing and if DC comics is looking to cast Giganta one day look no further than Amanda Nunes !!

PROBLEMS : One thread in the story is ultra predictable 30 minutes into the film. Some of the fight sequences could have been a bit tighter because i could actually see some of the pulled punches. Definitely some cliched turns in the story.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½
I surprisingly liked this movie. I would give it a 7. It did move me and my favorite part is when he spoke! The film put Halle in a whole new acting light for me. While she has played a role fighting...this seemed less "feminine" and way more gritty for her.

Back