Welcome To aBlackWeb

Marilyn's Misery

Praise : The legendary actress Marilyn Monroes life plays out in sometimes stunning and beautiful scenes in the movie Blonde. Based on a book with the same title which is mainly fiction the film gets some things right. Ana De Armas performance is very good. She completely immerses herself in the role and gets Marilyn's mannerisms down to a capital T. I think Director Andrew Dominik captures what traumatized and troubled Monroe during her life. How she tried to escape it and it's done in stunning ways with creative visuals and he puts sharp aspect ratio to good use. I think he captured her almost quiet time in her life in her marriage to Arthur Miller perfectly. Praise to Adrien Brody for his portrayal of Miller.

PROBLEMS: I think the film stretches things to make the film difficult to watch ,exploit Monroe further, and to say at almost every turn in life she was used,objectified and forced to do things.
Almost completely forgotten or purposely ignored is Marilyn's determination to be taken more seriously and the steps she took to do so.Some scenes are laughable. Some are just degrading and hard to watch. This film is supposed to be about the "meaning" of Marilyn Monroe but this definitely doesn't do her justice and I didn't see the meaning they claim to have captured There have been TV movies made about her that did a far better job.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5½

I think the film maker’s point was to make it as uncomfortable as possible.

that woman was exploited by Hollywood and her country. Kept in a constant state of doped up but functional so her mind wasn’t her own.

damn right you supposed to feel ooky after watching Blonde.
This ain’t Red Shoe Diaries or The Emmanuel Saga!

White ultra feminists hate the movie... Forgetting it's a literary adaptation of a fictional account of her life

It's an uncomfortable watch in many scenes but I liked it as a movie... It had a dreamlike aura about it ... It was a bold film to make in this ' Offended ' era on twittersphere

AnaDeArmas was excellent in the role especially where she acts out 'Roe singing or acting...

Smooth silky photography too ...

3/5

Back