Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black sitcoms ranked (by Naima Cochrane)

This is easy.

1. Look at the longevity of it's success not only as a black sitcom but a sitcom in general

2. It was the main catapult to its "TGIF" comedy line up on ABC

3. The character "Urkel" was widely recognized no matter how you felt about the character.

4. It touched on a wide range of topics

And 5....most important...it showed a chill, successful black family on tv and it never used any over the top black family stereotypes to depict their family...
4/5 could be any black show in it's peak

And I think you're really overestimating your 4th reason... Like but a lot

4/5 could be any black show in it's peak

And I think you're really overestimating your 4th reason... Like but a lot

At your 1st sentence. But its not any black show or all black shows. Cause they would all be considered "goat" status and you know any and all aren't.

Did not overestimate the 4th..because they did touch on serious topics as well as entertain w silly shit..what else were they supposed to do or better yet what they miss?

Niggas basing Family Matters off the fall off seasons, like prime FM wasn’t a pillar in black programming at the time.

Don’t forget that last season of Martin when him and Gina clearly couldn’t be in the same room. It don’t take away from the run of sustained excellence

nah, ya'll overrating it

most of ya'll didnt even fuck with the first season or so when Jaleel was just an extra with a few scenes here and there

the show was cool, it has a place in black tv, but it aint some god tier show
Not saying it’s god tier but it definitely needs to go up one

AP upset we don’t want family matters with bottom of the barrel shows

like my nigga the shit is there with the Parkers and smart guy and BELOW The Pj’s which is one of the wackiest shows of all time

fuck outta here

Which shows were crossover hits (i.e. were watched by people of all races)? I asked because those are the shows that probably kept studios investing in black shows in their respective eras. I know Fresh Prince was. I want to say Family Matters was too.

AP upset we don’t want family matters with bottom of the barrel shows

like my nigga the shit is there with the Parkers and smart guy and BELOW The Pj’s which is one of the wackiest shows of all time

fuck outta here
i never said it was a bottom tier show though, but it aint god tier under any circumstances

Which shows were crossover hits (i.e. were watched by people of all races)? I asked because those are the shows that probably kept studios investing in black shows in their respective eras. I know Fresh Prince was. I want to say Family Matters was too.
i dont care what was a crossover show

funny how rappers get called out for crossing over to other audiences but you're using this as a point to support why family matters was a good show

i dont care what was a crossover show

funny how rappers get called out for crossing over to other audiences but you're using this as a point to support why family matters was a good show

lol You completely missed the point. I'm not in here trying to argue with ya'll about what shows were good or not. I'm saying crossover appeal should be in the discussion to some extent because if no black show had it then most of those shows would have never been made. We know most studios outside of BET and CW didn't make shows strictly to appeal to black people.

Back