Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black people do be reaching’: Kodak Black ignores the memo on Gucci boycott

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Rapper Kodak Black says he isn’t going to follow the crowd when it comes to boycotting Gucci for selling a turtleneck sweater that, when pulled up over the lower half of the face, resembled blackface.

The Italy-based luxury clothing company has pulled the item off shelves and apologized, but fellow rappers T.I. and Soulja Boy have said they are boycotting Gucci nonetheless.

Kodak Black, whose given name is Bill Kapri, says leave him out of this.

“See my little Gucci clothes that I bought?” he said on Instagram Live. “And I’ma wear it. I’m black, right? And I’m thug to the bone, right? … But sometimes Black people do be reaching for like no reason – just be reaching.”

He went on, “Them people ain’t do nothing. … Them people just had a little ski mask. There’s all kinds of ski masks in the world.”

The Culture Update posted the Instagram Live video on Twitter, prompting followers to condemn Kodak Black for his decision.

Posted @Silverson81, or Silverson, “Kodak Black is seriously misguided and undereducated in terms of Black history.”

The Gucci controversy is one of a series of such events to unfold in recent weeks involving blackface, a practice that some historians argue dates as far back as the European Renaissance, and evolved in America during slavery and Jim Crow eras to demean Black people.

Singer Katy Perry apologized for and pulled shoes from stores that appeared to sport blackface and Prada did the same for trinkets sold in its stores that resembled blackface. Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam and Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring both have admitted to wearing blackface in the past and some of their constituents are calling on them to step down.

The boxer -- along with his entire TMT crew -- rolled into Gucci in Bev Hills ... and when we told him about all of the stars calling for a Gucci ban over a sweatshirt that resembled blackface, Floyd scoffed.

"I'm not no follower, I do what the f*ck I wanna do," Floyd told us.

When we told Floyd that stars like T.I. and Spike Lee would be upset with him, Floyd laughed.

"You said they're gonna be upset with me? I love it, I love it, I love it. See, the thing is this, I live for myself. I do what I want to do."

Outside the store, Floyd and his crew showed off a BUNCH of bags filled with Gucci -- dropping a fortune on clothing and accessories.

"I'm not a follower," Floyd added ... "You know when everybody else they say, 'Everybody gonna boycott?' I say guess what, this boy gonna get on a yacht and live life."

"We all know racism still exists but that's not gonna stop my drive. I've got friends from all walks of life and to me of course, black lives matter first ... but my thing is this, I'm gonna continue to go out there live life and be happy."

He added, "Half of the people that's on social media saying, 'Don't wear this, don't wear that,' I ain't never seen none of them supporting The Money Team."

After the Gucci run, Floyd -- flanked by his bodyguards Jizzy Mack and Badou -- went over to Neiman Marcus -- where the store stayed open past the normal closing time so Floyd could shop.

Mayweather tells us he dropped $200-300k at Neiman. Good times.

See the thing about this though...

Is that I’d be willing to bet that Kodak is completely unaware of the history of blackface minstrelsy. The first question should have been asking him if he’s even familiar w the concept. Not everybody deserves a platform when it comes to social issues. Same with Floyd. These ain’t the most educated dudes is all I’m saying.

Last edited:
You got a project crack baby who now have some momey.

I don't expect him to be down for no cause

this

Is that I’d be willing to bet that Kodak is completely unaware of the history of blackface minstrelsy. The first question should have been asking him if he’s even familiar w the concept. Not everybody deserves a platform when it comes to social issues. Same with Floyd. These ain’t the most educated dudes is all I’m saying.

and this

a lot of those dudes not book smart or just have no clue about what be goin on in the world around em

+ this a nigga who grew up in the projects and aint ever had shit now that he got it he gonna flaunt it no matter what others got to say about it

I feel like this is some shit he will look back once hes older and he'll see it differently

How many of y’all were taught about black face in elementary, middle school, or high school?

I’m just curious because it was never actually explained to me until I took an AA Studies class in college.

bamboozled1.jpg

This was my first intro to blackface and minstrelsy(?)

I have only watched this flick a couple times as its very difficult to watch

Both of these niggas, like everyone else, has direct access to the entirety of human knowledge in their pocket. In this day and age there's no excuse for not knowing this shit.

this

and this

a lot of those dudes not book smart or just have no clue about what be goin on in the world around em

+ this a nigga who grew up in the projects and aint ever had shit now that he got it he gonna flaunt it no matter what others got to say about it

I feel like this is some shit he will look back once hes older and he'll see it differently
but this is true for alot of people.....thats why the youngins never learn...because they follow the first lead and not the second.

its very important for us to lead right the first time.

How many of y’all were taught about black face in elementary, middle school, or high school?

I’m just curious because it was never actually explained to me until I took an AA Studies class in college.
alot of shit wasnt taught to me and thats why i read so much now and talk the shit i do.

i was one of those kids teasing africans because i didnt know.
when i got into my early teens is when i started looking at the world differently.

shit actually gets me mad as fuck when i think back on how fucked up my education was and how tv and media painted a picture that nigga refuse to believe is false.

Both of these niggas, like everyone else, has direct access to the entirety of human knowledge in their pocket. In this day and age there's no excuse for not knowing this shit.
but heres a question.

when you have a few dollars....whats the point of learning?

this is a legit question.

it seems like our people......either dont learn to make money or dont learn after they get money.

like being smart breaks nigga out in hives or some shit.

I don't recall it ever being taught to me at school. Round the 6th grade when Dragon Ball Z began it's very first run on Fox 44 on Saturday mornings and they introduced Mr. Popo. I was already into drawing and had to learn why he was the only one drawn like that.

But Toriyama has been given a pass ever since.

Back