Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Feminism

MissK

I was Not here
Okay ladies I need y'all to learn me somethin today!

Now I have taken a womans studies class which I enjoyed although I recognized the lack of black representation and some things struck me as over the top on the feminism point of view. I have a friend who is a professor and she also identifies as a black feminist. I truly would like your opinions on this topic and also the difference from feminism in general.

@Race Jones
@BNE
@Reesey
@Whispering_eye
@Whiskas

and all of us, I am on break and can't recall every name

Hey love,

I dont ID as feminist due to its historical contexts.
I like womanist theory but because these labels are rigged, I try not to subscribe or aspire to them if that makes sense.
although it should be noted that womanism and Black feminism are not interchangeable.

issa broad church. each school of thot is like its own ideology. i identify with intersectional feminist schools of thought. sum1 being feminist only tells u that the person is against the oppression of women. beyond that tenant, there isn't much cohesion.
Hey love,

I like womanist theory but because these labels are rigged, I try not to subscribe or aspire to them if that makes sense.
although it should be noted that womanism and Black feminism are not interchangeable.

womanism resonates with me but it isn't well defined. every 1 of the landmark thinkers had their own idea.

Hey love,

Thank you. See I am out of my element here lol. So when you have time can you expound on the womanism/black feminism

@BNE this is probably why I am confused. There are many approaches with different names and agendas...

@MissK

Womanism is a social change perspective rooted in Black women’s and other women of color’s everyday experiences and everyday methods of problem solving in everyday spaces, extended to the problem of ending all forms of oppression for all people.

Womanism centers Black women. Thus, if your approach to gender justice excludes race or incorporates a racist hierarchy where Black women’s needs, desires, issues of concern, politics, relationships, conceptions of beauty, health, intersectional experiences etc., should be placed last, you aren’t engaging in womanist praxis.

I view mainstream feminism as the feminism that is most visible to the masses, closest to protecting not challenging the status quo and the one that dominates the credit for any actual feminist work. This is a feminism that actually does challenge patriarchy at times, but through a limited scope that in ways can harm Black women/women of color/trans women/sex workers/very poor White women etc.

“Mainstream feminism always reflects a tunnel vision approach. It’s concerned with remaining visible and to do that it has to appeal to the most visible. This is why I (and other womanists/intersectional feminists) call it/allude to it being: 1% feminism. White supremacist feminism. American exceptionalist feminism. Biological determinist feminism (i.e. TERFs). Mean Girls feminism. “Funny" feminism. Lean In feminism. Mrs. White feminism. A part of this tunnel vision includes declaring a difficult social problem "solved” once a token few White women overcome it, versus dismantling institutions and structures themselves. This is White supremacist, racist and classist on its face, of course, but also reveals how deeply embedded victim blaming, bootstrap theory and virulent individualism (things diametrically opposed to justice, community and wholeness) are in Whiteness itself. Since who mainstream feminism truly works for have nothing to overcome except sexist oppression, much of which they aren’t subject to because of how White privilege and class privilege can protect, the introspective work, the empathy, the growth needed to approach intersectional thinking often doesn’t occur.”

I follow a blogger on twitter named Trudy
she is an expert on shit like this

I had to look on her website to get an in-depth understanding for you.

Last edited:
@Race Jones

Thank you lady! I will be doing further research and I appreciate the direction you have pointed out :)

I don't use Twitter, do you know if she is on FB?

Back