Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black Excellence baby, we gon let em see...

The barber who cut hair for the homeless, and the salon owner who gave him a barbershop of his own

95c8ccfb2b8d0f99b9e842a427535ac9

Brennon Jones, a 29-year-old barber, launched “Haircuts 4 Homeless” in January, cutting the hair of Philadelphia’s homeless men for free in the hopes it might help them get off the street. Jones, who estimates he’s provided more than 1,000 free haircuts, said he was encouraged by his very first client.

“I cut his hair on 15th and Walnut,” he told CBS Philadelphia. “A few days later, I went to check up on him and he wasn’t there. I was hoping nothing bad happened to him. When we did catch up weeks later, he got offered a full-time job.”

Jones’s selfless work for the community paid off for him too. In October, Sean Johnson, a local barbershop owner who had purchased a future second location for his business, decided to give Jones the space for him to open a barbershop of his own.

“For somebody to give you a building, for him to say, ‘This is yours, no strings attached,’ it kind of blew my mind,” Jones told Philly.com.

Jones continues to give back to the homeless, providing free haircuts, lunch and health screenings at his shop every Monday.

“It’s bigger than a haircut for me,” Jones said. “They look at me as the blessing, but I look at them as the blessing.”

The 10-year-old inventor whose invention may save lives

83053cbacca3783df45c156b0e317d2d

Dozens of children are killed in hot cars in the United States every year. In 2016, 39 died as a result of car-related heat stroke, including seven in Texas. The death of a 6-month-old child in his hometown inspired Bishop Curry V, a 10-year-old from McKinney, to create “Oasis,” a small device that would detect if a child is left inside a hot car and blow cool air until parents and authorities can arrive.

Curry’s father, a Toyota engineer in Plano, Texas, encouraged his son to work on the design and secured a provisional patent for the idea. The pair introduced the concept and prototype at an auto safety conference in Michigan, and raised more than $50,000 in a crowdfunding campaign to develop it.

Meanwhile, the fifth grader told NBC Dallas that he already has aspirations beyond just one lifesaving invention.

“It would be a dream to have lots of inventions that would save many lives,” he said.

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welco...ww.google.ch/&referrer=https://www.google.ch/

Black Girls Code: The Next Steve Jobs Will Be A Woman of Color

kimberly-bryant-1200x800.jpg

In March 2011, while attending a Berkeley Women Entrepreneurs Conference, Kimberly Bryant, an accomplished tech engineer with experience both broad and deep, found herself engaged in a discussion about the dearth of women working in the technology field. Observations ranged over the territory of shortages of women currently available in the resource pool, and a stagnant, even dwindling pipeline of women, and particularly women of color in STEM sectors. Bryant had an epiphany, a moment of realization that if the problem was going to find its solution, she needed to take it upon herself to personally do something about it. Some of the best leadership advice ever given may be contained in the clichéd couplet, ‘If it is to be, it is up to me.’

Shortly thereafter, Bryant founded Black Girls Code (BGC), a non-profit organization dedicated to equipping girls from underrepresented communities with coding skills through participation in workshops and other training vehicles, with the end result of “seeding the tech pipeline with the girls from the younger generation who will be come to tech leaders and creators of the future.” BGC has a stated objective of reaching over one million young women of color by mid-century, and transforming technology to represent the diversity of the United States’ population, and even the world’s, within the ranks of the sector’s employees, rather than just its consumers.

The 2015 McKinsey report is only one of several studies that highlight the positive impact of a diverse workforce on the corporate bottom line; Bryant is committed to battling the systemic biases that have minimized the role that women, and particularly women of color, as well as other underrepresented groups have played in the technology explosion—it is not only financially right; it is a social and moral necessity.

Her primary goal at present is to develop a sustainable business model that will allow BGC to reach girls ever farther afield and achieve the lofty 1M goal. Bryant has drawn inspiration from David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell, which resonates with her as the founder of a small startup stretching to become a global business against daunting obstacles. “It’s shown me that with skill and strategy, even David can conquer a giant.

Bryant’s efforts have garnered multiple awards, from the White House Champions of Change for Tech Inclusion award in 2013, which celebrates people “who are doing extraordinary things to expand technology opportunities for young learners—especially minorities, women and girls” to being named on Business Insider.com’s 2013 list of the 25 Most Influential African-Americans in Technology. In addition to her leadership of BGC, she is currently participating in the Pahara-Aspen Education Fellowship, a two-year program that targets innovative leaders in educational initiatives who are focused on improving the quality of the education experience available to low-income children. Fellowship participants collaborate on the development of strategies to deliver improved learning opportunities and enhance the leadership qualities of those who serve them.

Ask Bryant to identify which of her many achievements she is most proud of and the answer is that over twenty years later, her defining moment is graduating from Vanderbilt University School of Engineering with a BS in Electrical Engineering. During the four years she spent as an undergrad she was one of a handful of women in the school of engineering. She describes them as some of the most difficult years of her life, demanding fortitude and grit to persevere as a woman in a field dominated by men, and not at all racially diverse. Times are changing, albeit slowly, but evolved enough that Bryant dares to dream that the next Steve Jobs could be a girl of color. That is the future she envisions and has taken upon herself to promote.

Grambling's Shakyla Hill becomes fourth D-I woman to record quadruple-double

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ll-gets-4th-d-i-womens-quad-double/109141358/

Shakyla Hill's assist with the closing seconds of Grambling State's win over Alabama State gave the junior guard the fourth quadruple-double in NCAA women's basketball history on Wednesday night.

Hill found Monisha Neal for a 3-pointer that wrapped up the Tigers' 93-71 win over the Hornets and accounted for Hill's 10th assist to go with 15 points, 10 rebounds and 10 steals.

The last quadruple-double was by Soja Tate of Arkansas State against Mississippi Valley State on Jan. 27, 1993. Tate had 29 points, 14 rebounds, 10 assists and 10 steals.

Veronica Pettry of Loyola Chicago had 12 points, 10 rebounds, 22 assists and 11 steals for the first official quadruple-double on Jan. 14, 1989. Steals didn't become an official NCAA stat until 1987-88 and assists became an official stat just two years earlier.

Unofficially Jackie Spencer of Louisville had a quadruple double of 12 points, 12 rebounds, 14 assists and 10 steals against Cincinnati on Feb. 2, 1985.

The other official quad-double — 10-10-10 and 12 steals — was by Ramona Jones of Lamar against Central Florida on Jan. 14, 1991.

On Sunday, Sabrina Ionescu, a sophomore at Oregon, picked up her NCAA record eighth career triple-double. There have been 18 triple doubles this season, four by Ionescu.

Hill did most of her damage in the second half when the Tigers (5-8, 2-0 Southwestern Athletic Conference), up 40-33, pulled away from the Hornets (2-11, 0-2). She had 11 points, seven rebounds, seven assists and six steals after the break.

Eighth-grader Jaden Newman makes 17 3-pointers in a 70-point game to tie national record

When you think 3-point shooting prowess, you probably think of Stephen Curry or Klay Thompson or Jayson Tatum. Time to add Jaden Newman to the list. The 13-year-old basketball prodigy and star guard at Downey Christian (Orlando, Florida) made 17 of her 24 attempts from beyond the arc on Tuesday to tie a national high school record.

And that's not all.

On top of her astounding 70.83 percent 3-point shooting percentage, the eighth-grader dropped 70 points in her team's 115-31 victory over Discovery High School (Alfred, Florida). That's right, people -- 70 POINTS. The 5-foot-1 sharpshooter knew it was going to be a special game from the opening minutes.

"Right when the game started, I knew I was in the zone," she said during her lunch break on Wednesday. "Right off the bat, to start the game, I made an and-one 3. That was the first play of the game. That built my confidence, and I knew I should just keep shooting.

"I felt like I couldn't miss. I just kept making everything."

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, Newman is tied with Duke senior Rebecca Greenwell for the most 3-pointers in a single game. Greenwell also hit 17 in 2013 while playing for Kentucky's Owensboro Catholic.

Newman, who is averaging 45.7 points per game this season and hopes to play at UConn, was happy about her performance, but thinks she can do even better.

"I want us to keep winning, and I really want to break the record with 18 3s," Newman said. "Maybe next week in our next game."

I was literally just talking about this to my grandfather. I love that I am a black woman.

Love my skin & nappy hair

next time a cracka try to talk down bout your skin, remind them the sun is their enemy

Back