Welcome To aBlackWeb

Black books that would make great movies

Duwop

Savage Garden ⬛
Mod Squad
The title pretty much dictates the premise

And off the top I got three series

Easy Rawlings: Walter Mosley
Devil in a blue dress was a great movie.... And there was a Hollywood rumor that Jeffrey Wright and Mos Def were on board as easy and mouse.... But for the uninitiated.... This is about a dude from Texas who moved to LA after the war and due to his connections to the black community ended up as a private detective in a very highly racially charged environment...

The books covered the 60's and 70's and really has some great action and awesome characters. They got over 10 books

Tamara Hayle : Valerie Wilson Wesley

Another private detective.... And honestly all these are private detective series....I mostly read that genre.... And full disclosure... Tamara is a HORRIBLE detective..... Like she's just not good at her job. She has horrible intuition. And she almost gets herself killed 90% of the time from shit the reader sees coming a mile a way..... But if them books ain't good as fuck!!!

Bruh....I can easily see Tiffany Haddish in this role. I know people don't like her, but she fits this character perfectly. Haddish is a comedian that mad people don't feel is a good comedian. Tamara Hayle is a private detective who is not a good detective and always fucking shit up.....I think it would be awesome. I think this is a 7 or 8 book series

Leorand McGill: Walter Mosley

The reason I made this thread. I just finished the the latest book in this series and it legit feels like I just came from the theater after watching a good ass movie. This is a modern day easy for the most part.... And even though Leonard is described as ugly... The cover art favors Idris Elba and I could not get Idris out of my mind as this character....

He's an exboxer ex-criminal who became a private detective off of favors and manipulating the criminal and legal world. He has a young son who understand capitolism, his father's lifestyle and is pretty much already a criminal mastermind in his own regards but Leonard keeps him close to him with "honest" work because he knows his boy is a magnet for trouble regardless of he approves or not... It just makes sense to teach him, cuz he is the best teacher for this kind of shit.....

He's also best friends with a John wick your type nigga named hush... Great fucking series. Prolly like 5 books I think

I've read Lot of shit, but those three series stood out to me

American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson

It's historical fiction at its finest with a black woman spy infiltrating the inner circle of Thomas Sankara during the height of the cold war. The whole book flew under alotta folks radar and I think It'd be perfect for a movie/limited series treatment.

Homegoing - Yaa Gyasi
This would be a dope mini series, way too much to pack into a movie. It's a bunch of short stories following two sisters blood line from 1800s Africa to the present. One sister is sold into slavery, the other remains in West Africa. How the stores play off each other and come together is genius.

Children of blood and bone - Tomi Adeyemi
This would make a dope action flick for the family along the same lines as Hunger Games. Look up the synopsis, too much to put here.

Sing, unburdened, sing - Jesmyn Ward
This is one of the best books I've ever read, follows this boy and his little sister going on a one day adventure with his fuck up parents. Its super sad at points, exciting at others, and terrifying all at the same time. There is a huge super natural component to it that I think would make for a thrilling ass movie.

I really only read fantasy and sci fi as far as fiction books go, and unfortunately not a lot of black people do those, but there are some African myths and stories that would make dope movies or series. One example I can think of is the Epic of Mwindo.

Check out this book series called Binti. An afro future sci fi series. The books are pretty short but it is dope as shit.

Any Easy Rawlings book could be a movie or at best a series. Would love to see a series his adventures. Walter Mosely does a lot of writing and screen writing he writes on Snowfall so the Easy Rawlings series could be screen written by him and put on the air.

I know a FX, Amazon, Hulu could make that series something great

3D406DE0-2EA4-4B9B-B67E-AE7CE0AE2BCB.jpeg 443104BA-512A-45E9-A4EF-98304A196567.jpeg 9A414131-F6FA-4E1A-ADA8-BE54B06918E5.jpeg
African Immortals series by Tananarive Due. There’s 3 Books. My Soul To Keep, The Living Blood and Blood Colony. About a group of African Immortals. The books center on a man named David. Here’s a breakdown of that book.

When Jessica marries David, he is everything she wants in a family man: brilliant, attentive, ever youthful. Yet she still feels something about him is just out of reach. Soon, as people close to Jessica begin to meet violent, mysterious deaths, David makes an unimaginable confession: More than 400 years ago, he and other members of an Ethiopian sect traded their humanity so they would never die, a secret he must protect at any cost. Now, his immortal brethren have decided David must return and leave his family in Miami. Instead, David vows to invoke a forbidden ritual to keep Jessica and his daughter with him forever.

Harrowing, engrossing and skillfully rendered, My Soul to Keep traps Jessica between the desperation of immortals who want to rob her of her life and a husband who wants to rob her of her soul. With deft plotting and an unforgettable climax, this tour de force reminiscent of early Anne Rice will win Due a new legion of fans.

I think this would be a great book and either Daniel Kaluuya or Chadwick Boseman I could see playing David.These books should have been a movie

Back