Welcome To aBlackWeb

Biden Administration to start working on reparations “Now”

Mr.LV

OG

Biden senior adviser says White House will start acting on reparations ‘now’
By Emily Jacobs

cedric-richmond-81.jpg

Rep. Cedric Richmond (left) and then-Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden greet each other as Biden arrives at Columbus Airport

March 1, 2021 | 8:13am

The White House is “going to start acting now” to address reparations to African Americans, a White House senior adviser said in a new interview, as Congress debates forming a commission to study how the policy could be implemented.

Speaking to “Axios on HBO” in an interview set to air Monday, White House senior adviser Cedric Richmond discussed efforts targeted to helping minority communities.

While the administration may back the study, Richmond added that they were not waiting on Congress.

“We don’t want to wait on a study. We’re going to start acting now,” he told the outlet.

“We have to start breaking down systemic racism and barriers that have held people of color back and especially African Americans,” Richmond told the outlet. “[W]e have to do stuff now.”

“If you start talking about free college tuition to [Historically Black Colleges and Universities] and you start talking about free community college in Title I and all of those things, I think that you are well on your way,” he continued, noting that a timeline for Congress’ commission was not known.

cedric-richmond-82.jpg

White House senior adviser Cedric Richmond discussed efforts targeted to helping minority communities in an “Axios on HBO” interview.

In legislation first introduced by the late Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) in 1989, and reintroduced repeatedly in years since by Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tx.), Democratic lawmakers have called for Congress to form a commission to study the issue.

That legislation saw an uptick in interest last summer following the murder of George Floyd, an unarmed black man whose killing by a white police officer sparked nationwide outrage.

Reparations had been debated for decades prior to this past summer, without any results.

After clinching the Democratic presidential nomination last year, President Biden added supporting the study of reparations to his platform.

In early February, the White House said Biden is open to naming a group to study the issue.

“He certainly would support a study of reparations,” White House press secretary Jen Psaki said at a briefing in early February. “He understands we don’t need a study to take action right now on systemic racism, so he wants to take actions within his own government in the meantime.”

Asked about the potential panel, Richmond said, “I think that [the creation of a commission] will pass.”

The Biden senior adviser and former Louisiana congressman went on to point to one of the president’s myriad of executive actions, referencing one “breaking down barriers in housing, making sure that African-Americans can pass down wealth through homeownership, that their homes are not valued less than homes in different communities just because of the neighborhood it’s in.”

Let's address the word salad.

White women are minorities in this country. All that minority inclusion talk is a way of watering shit down for black people to not get the true benefits of these things in the long run. We have evidence of this no need to debate it or believe it will be any different this time around if something gets passed.

White kids go to HBCUs as well as other races. So is the free tuition only for black students or any student of any race that attends an HBCU?

The words and statements need to be direct, clear and concise not a bunch of vague sound and feel good talking points.

Let's see if this is just for us or "minorities", "ppl of color", etc.. etc..

Many folks will be glad for this just because of who gave it to them.

“Biden ain’t shit for not addressing reparations!”

Biden senior advisor says administration to start working on reparations now.

“It’s going to be watered down and white people go to HBCU’s too. If it’s not specific to descendants of slavery it’s worthless.”

I agree with your sentiments, but let’s not let perfection become the enemy of progress. Nothing they do will satisfy everybody.

Last edited:
“Biden ain’t shit for not addressing reparations!”

Biden senior advisor says administration to start working on reparations now.

“It’s going to be watered down and white people go to HBCU’s too. If it’s not specific to descendants of slavery it’s worthless.”

I agree with your sentiments, but let’s not let perfection become the enemy of progress. Nothing they do will satisfy everybody.
It's political theater, like the BS bill they pushed here in CA. Don't give Biden or anyone credit for playing to optics. This isn't a real attempt at reparations

Give us 40 acres of actual land like was promised. Or 100k each(no bigger than the cost of the stimulus).
Fuck this free Community college bullshit, that does nothing.

LLS @ enemy of progress. White women are the either #1 or #2 group of people oppressing black people in america but them being included as minorities and getting benefits that is supposed to help the oppressed is part of progress.

Damn shame some folks really excusing doing the same shit over and over again all the while expecting different results.

I guess it's fuck what history has already shown us.

I see we at that point in this thread. I'm done.

Reparations for black Americans alone Dr Claude Anderson already has the plan that black Americans want, if Jim crowe Joe doesn't do that plan to the letter we don't want it.

Last edited:
It's political theater, like the BS bill they pushed here in CA. Don't give Biden or anyone credit for playing to optics. This isn't a real attempt at reparations

Give us 40 acres of actual land like was promised. Or 100k each(no bigger than the cost of the stimulus).
Fuck this free Community college bullshit, that does nothing.
All I’m saying is let’s see. You don’t know yet what the outcome will be. I agree that it might amount to nothing substantial given the history of this country.

And given that, what do we want and who’s going to push it right now? What will make the majority of blacks feel atoned? Some people would argue against $100k for each black person because it’s easy to piss away and then we lose our leverage for further reparations afterward.

And you already know 40 acres of land for each slave is a no go. Which descendants get that land now that there are probably dozens of descendants per slave or more? How do you go about identifying who gets it and how?

See this is the issue with reparations discussions. Everybody has grand ideas but they don’t think past the idea to the plan and a step further even to the execution of that plan.

Take the vaccine get your reparations?

That would be a nasty turn of events.

Why don't ya'll stop begging for handouts and get a job?

After you get your little $500 reparations check, then what?

And free college? Only for black people? What's the verification? Ancestry.com?

LLS @ enemy of progress. White women are the either #1 or #2 group of people oppressing black people in america but them being included as minorities and getting benefits that is supposed to help the oppressed is part of progress.

Damn shame some folks really excusing doing the same shit over and over again all the while expecting different results.

I guess it's fuck what history has already shown us.

I see we at that point in this thread. I'm done.
Nobody excusing anything. I agree with you, but instead of complaining that it will be the same we need leadership that will push for what we want instead of leaving it up to the same politicians to decide for us.

Why do we continue to expect people that aren’t us to do right by us then complain that they aren’t doing right by us? That’s insane.

Back