Welcome To aBlackWeb

DEBATE Baby mama wanna name our kids white names?

Yeah, but the way he's describing it sounds like his BM is less against giving the child a name outside the norm and more against giving the child a name like Starkeisha.

I didn’t get that at all. ‘Names nobody can pronounce’ and ‘get accepted in white crowds’ is pretty clear. To me. I dunno man.

Shorty don’t sound like the type to be like ‘No, we cannot name him Quadarius D’Great Williams. But I’d be cool with Dikembe Mutombo!’.

Naw, this ain’t that. Lol.

Shorty don’t sound like the type to be like ‘No, we cannot name him Quadarius D’Great Williams. But I’d be cool with Dikembe Mutombo!’.

Naw, this ain’t that. Lol.

Well neither one of us knows the chick, so we can't say, but I could believe that she'd be against Quadarius but ok with something like Amare (Ethiopian for Handsome Boy) or Zane (Swahili for noble)

Real story. 0 bullshit.

Had my resume circulating with my Muslim ass name for weeks and got no calls. Then I decided to put an American name on my resume.

No bullshit. Got calls back the same day and a bunch of interviews lined up. That was in 2015. I been using the American name since.

As someone who has a normal "American" sounding first name with the rest of my name sounding spanish as hell I legit see the shock in people's face and notice certain changes in how they talk to me.

Well neither one of us knows the chick, so we can't say, but I could believe that she'd be against Quadarius but ok with something like Amare (Ethiopian for Handsome Boy) or Zane (Swahili for noble)

Right. Let’s take it off of her specifically and just generalize it.

Your example is a good example of what I mean. See how you’re naming African names that are easily pronounced by white folks, that they likely don’t even know are African, and that are similar to Anglo names? I’m sure that would be acceptable.

But I think we both know what I mean.

Right. Let’s take it off of her specifically and just generalize it.

Your example is a good example of what I mean. See how you’re naming African names that are easily pronounced by white folks, that they likely don’t even know are African, and that are similar to Anglo names? I’m sure that would be acceptable.

But I think we both know what I mean.

I get what you're saying. That said, African Americans are Americans. Amare is going to sound more familiar to the average African American than Dzigbode even though they are both African names, so choosing Amare because it's the easier name for American society isn't necessarily the same thing as choosing it because white people find it more acceptable. If we're being honest, Amare would be easier for white people, but it wouldn't stop them from discriminating against the holder of that name if that's what they're about.

She want our kids to have white names and not no "ghetto ass names that nobody can pronounce" which is dumb because either way they're still black just because you name your kid Connor & Emily don't mean they will get accepted in a white crowd, what yall think?

No Malcolm or Martin?

If it's simply not about "ghetto" names then why don't you suggest some African names. There are a lot of good ones out there. You can just search the web and look for one that sounds nice and/or has a significant meaning.

I was thinking along these lines, something Egyptian. I feel like most Egyptian names are powerful. No offense but what the fuck is a "LaMonte"? Who are some historically great "LaMontes"? What's the powerful meaning behind "LaMonte"? I had a homie in HS named Gazi (sp?). When asked about it he said it meant great warrior or conqueror or something to that effect.

-Name in quotes cause I know this is a fake account and not likely your real name.

Back