Welcome To aBlackWeb

Attack on Black men or Nah? Black Twitter comes for Destiny’s Child’s ‘Cater 2 U’ 17 years after release

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
A tweet went viral and evolved into a thread of other users unpacking all the things they believe to be problematic about the Destiny Child’s lyrics.
Destiny’s Child is one of the most successful girl groups of all time, but recently fans took issue with one of their biggest hits which they say has a message that hasn’t aged well with modern times.
The critique kicked off on Saturday, June 5th when a Twitter user with the screen name @TheBaddestMitch posted “Me listening to “cater 2 u” along with a meme of reality star Erica Dixon making a skeptical facial expression.
Destiny's Child thegrio.com

Singers Michelle Williams, Kelly Rowland and Beyonce Knowles of Destiny’s Child perform onstage at the BET Awards 05 at the Kodak Theatre on June 28, 2005 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)More
Soon the tweet went viral with over 20, 000 retweets and almost 100,000 likes and evolved into a thread of other users unpacking all the things they believe to be problematic about the lyrics.

Me listening to “cater 2 u” pic.twitter.com/bvM7ykEODL
— Ari LaBeija (@TheBaddestMitch) June 5, 2021

For those who need a refresher on what Beyoncé, Kelly and Michelle are saying in the 2004 hit, it starts off with:
Baby I see you working hard
I want to let you know I’m proud
Let you know that I admire what you do
The more if I need to reassure you
My life would be purposeless without you (Yeah)
If I want it (Got it)
When I ask you (You provide it)

“Beyoncé lost me in the first verse when she said “my life would be purposeless without you” Then she followed later with “I’ll brush your hair. Put your durag onnnn” Do you know how particular black men are about their durag tying technique? It’s too much,” explained one user.
To her point, there is a part of the song that does seem to take catering to your partner into the dangerous territory of giving up your free agency, in which the young ladies sing:
When you come home late, tap me on my shoulder, I’ll roll over
Baby I heard you
I’m here to serve you
If it’s love you need, to give it is my joy
All I wanna do, is cater to you boy
And it appears this isn’t the first time the outdated messaging in this song has raised brows, because back in 2018, Destiny’s Child member Michelle Williams even took to social media to admit that she herself was struck by the “unrealistic” lyrics when she heard it unexpectedly playing while having a meal with her former fiance Chad Johnson.

“Cater to You comes on and I made this face,” she wrote in her Instagram stories at the time, along with an emoji of someone rolling their eyes.

“Because he’s waiting on the first and second verse to be fulfilled one day,” she continued. “I wrote my verse about empowering and uplifting the man.”

“I wish you would tap me on my shoulder while I’m sleep,” she noted with both the laughing and angry face emojis. “That was Kelly’s promise not mine.”

“I know that I NOW have a man worthy of those first two verses,” she clarified, before admitting, “I was so over the foolishness back then and I was like, ‘I’ll just let you know you’re a good man without all the extra and I’ll always have your back.'”

Black men aren't so sensitive as to call this an attack on us, because a woman who squirms at the idea of being submissive to a hypothetical man has nothing do with us.

It is, however,yet another embarrassing display wherein "Black Twitter" masks their ignorance and insecurity in playful and passive aggressive posts. They just did it over being asked not to wear bonnets outside and they did it last year over being told not to shake their asses on top of restaurant furniture.

It's been said that our people are easily led in the wrong direction and hard to lead in the right direction. They'll claim it to be all jokes but the same women who snarkly refer to the lyrics to "Cater 2 U" as 'slavery are typically, though not universally, some combination of

1. Single
2. Angry
3. Overweight
4. Submissive only to her professor or employer

A tweet went viral and evolved into a thread of other users unpacking all the things they believe to be problematic about the Destiny Child’s lyrics.
Destiny’s Child is one of the most successful girl groups of all time, but recently fans took issue with one of their biggest hits which they say has a message that hasn’t aged well with modern times.
The critique kicked off on Saturday, June 5th when a Twitter user with the screen name @TheBaddestMitch posted “Me listening to “cater 2 u” along with a meme of reality star Erica Dixon making a skeptical facial expression.
Destiny's Child thegrio.com

Singers Michelle Williams, Kelly Rowland and Beyonce Knowles of Destiny’s Child perform onstage at the BET Awards 05 at the Kodak Theatre on June 28, 2005 in Hollywood, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)More
Soon the tweet went viral with over 20, 000 retweets and almost 100,000 likes and evolved into a thread of other users unpacking all the things they believe to be problematic about the lyrics.

For those who need a refresher on what Beyoncé, Kelly and Michelle are saying in the 2004 hit, it starts off with:
Baby I see you working hard
I want to let you know I’m proud
Let you know that I admire what you do
The more if I need to reassure you
My life would be purposeless without you (Yeah)
If I want it (Got it)
When I ask you (You provide it)

“Beyoncé lost me in the first verse when she said “my life would be purposeless without you” Then she followed later with “I’ll brush your hair. Put your durag onnnn” Do you know how particular black men are about their durag tying technique? It’s too much,” explained one user.
To her point, there is a part of the song that does seem to take catering to your partner into the dangerous territory of giving up your free agency, in which the young ladies sing:
When you come home late, tap me on my shoulder, I’ll roll over
Baby I heard you
I’m here to serve you
If it’s love you need, to give it is my joy
All I wanna do, is cater to you boy
And it appears this isn’t the first time the outdated messaging in this song has raised brows, because back in 2018, Destiny’s Child member Michelle Williams even took to social media to admit that she herself was struck by the “unrealistic” lyrics when she heard it unexpectedly playing while having a meal with her former fiance Chad Johnson.

“Cater to You comes on and I made this face,” she wrote in her Instagram stories at the time, along with an emoji of someone rolling their eyes.

“Because he’s waiting on the first and second verse to be fulfilled one day,” she continued. “I wrote my verse about empowering and uplifting the man.”

“I wish you would tap me on my shoulder while I’m sleep,” she noted with both the laughing and angry face emojis. “That was Kelly’s promise not mine.”

“I know that I NOW have a man worthy of those first two verses,” she clarified, before admitting, “I was so over the foolishness back then and I was like, ‘I’ll just let you know you’re a good man without all the extra and I’ll always have your back.'”

Lol bruh this not an attack on black men. Women saying they won’t cater and be subservient ain’t an attack on us it’s just Twitter

shits on yahoo

That's where I saw this at i just smh and read a little between this and how well 40 shades of grey they don't know what they want to argue about next

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
Back