Welcome To aBlackWeb

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms will not run for re election

keemz

#gaza4eva #freeKartel #FreeSiva
In a stunning announcement Thursday night, Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms told supporters that she will not run for reelection this year.

Bottoms announced she will not seek a second term as Atlanta’s 60th mayor during a private call with friends, staffers and allies, according to two people who were on the call and several others who were told about it.

The mayor has scheduled a 10 a.m. press conference Friday at City Hall, though her office did not provide any details about the subject. A spokesperson for the mayor did not respond to requests for comment Thursday evening.

The move is a shocking reversal for Bottoms, a mayor with a rising national profile who had launched her reelection campaign and held a fundraising event featuring President Joe Biden. The decision creates a wide-open mayor’s race this year, and is likely to open the door for a slew of new candidates.

The March fundraiser with Biden, which was the first headlined by the president since taking office, raised over $500,000 for Bottoms’ reelection bid — a sign of her strong financial standing and national political connections.

Although widely popular, Bottoms has received criticism over her handling of public safety following a rise in violent crime in the city.

“People are entitled to their opinions, but don’t ever question whether or not I care,” she said at a press conference this week focused on crime. “My love for this city is deeper than probably many others standing here because my family goes back 100 years in the city. So whether I am mayor of this city or not, I will do everything that I can possibly do to keep our communities safe.”

City Council President Felicia Moore and Dentons attorney Sharon Gay launched campaigns for mayor earlier this year, and Councilman Antonio Brown could also run.

That sucks. She was one of the few mayors I was fuckin wit.

I honestly thought she should’ve been VP.

She was gonna lose her re election.

Blacks were upset she didn't fire the officer who shot Rayshard Brooks last year.

Whites in buckhead who voted for her are upset that crime is out of control especially in Buckhead. Buckhead is trying to annex itself from Atlanta all together

People were actually bashing her for taking a stand against some of the more destructive protests. Like I get some people think rioting and burning shit down is productive, but she's the mayor of the city, she can't be one of those people. That seems like it should be pretty obvious to everyone but apparently it wasn't. And she was only a mayor, so it's not like she had the power to snap her fingers and fix a bunch of problems that have to be handled at the state and federal level.

Like she was literally fighting against the Governor who was trying to send in the National Guard on one side and her own people on the other side. I wouldn't want that job either.

Know what happened? She has a liberal world view of how things should be. She tried to govern with that world view and found that it doesn’t work because people take advantage of it in the ways that conservatives preach. That’s not to say conservatism is correct, but to say the reality of facing the reality of the way she governed was a chin check. She knows what she has to do to govern better but she doesn’t have the heart or lack of pride to do it.

So what’s gonna happen is a ambitious Kamala Harris type individual is gonna take the reigns and lock mad people up. ATL youth running a little to wild and the solution short term is to lock people up. The long term solution requires patience and community building. She tried to make it happen and was face with the fact that many of her liberal colleagues That can help were a favor for a favor type the wire like individuals.

She got faced with the reality of politics in a way she never faced before, and she bowed out. Like Race and many others here say, the government can’t save you. People gotta wanna do better for shit to be better.

Recently my city finally started putting money in the hood again, new buildings, painting streets, planting foliage, and cutting grass. Looked nicer for a month before graffiti, liter, and destruction of property had it looking like the hood again. And these politicians sat back and said, see, this is why we gentrify.

Right now, in this time, in this day in age, black people are our own worst enemy. We actively reenforce the stereotypes that these white folks use to excuse the way they govern our cities and this woman just found that out

Know what happened? She has a liberal world view of how things should be. She tried to govern with that world view and found that it doesn’t work because people take advantage of it in the ways that conservatives preach. That’s not to say conservatism is correct, but to say the reality of facing the reality of the way she governed was a chin check. She knows what she has to do to govern better but she doesn’t have the heart or lack of pride to do it.

So what’s gonna happen is a ambitious Kamala Harris type individual is gonna take the reigns and lock mad people up. ATL youth running a little to wild and the solution short term is to lock people up. The long term solution requires patience and community building. She tried to make it happen and was face with the fact that many of her liberal colleagues That can help were a favor for a favor type the wire like individuals.

She got faced with the reality of politics in a way she never faced before, and she bowed out. Like Race and many others here say, the government can’t save you. People gotta wanna do better for shit to be better.

Recently my city finally started putting money in the hood again, new buildings, painting streets, planting foliage, and cutting grass.

Looked nicer for a month................before graffiti, liter, and destruction of property had it looking like the hood again. And these politicians sat back and said, see, this is why we gentrify.

Right now, in this time, in this day in age, black people are our own worst enemy.

We actively reenforce the stereotypes that these white folks use to excuse the way they govern our cities and this woman just found that out

Damn.

Nothing to add to this at all.

Couldn't have been said any better.

Back