Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION At what age is it okay for kids to start playing GTA or Red Dead?

Why not just get your kid some books or magazines to indulge in? Get them puzzles, play monopoly or whatever.....The focus should be on expanding their minds to teach them common sense and life skills, not have them stuck in front of a telly dragging them into the adult world transposing our own maturity upon them
LOL at if he plays a video game im not doing these other things as a parent.

My kids reads, writes, and draws everday. I just taught him how to play chess and he already beat me once.

As far as the video games go ive bought him E rated kids games and he gets bored of them after maybe 2 days.

Hes a big Star Wars fan and has played both Battlefront games so hes already versed in 1st person shooters. I dont see Red Dead being too far of a jump.

Nah, no books. They get enough of that at school and doing homework for 2-3 hours.They doing that stuff for damn near half the time that they're awake.

I'm more upset with the sex in games than I am with the violence. My lil nigga was playing heavy rain and there's an interactive sex scene in that and that mf'er just pressing away

Disagree....and disagree strongly....especially if your child is an ethnic minority. Books at school are part of indoctrinating your child to adapt and fit into the society they live in. The stories within those books are written championing the majority and either overlooking or denigrating the minority.

The child belongs to you, you can choose to either uplift them or keep them where the majority society wants them...Exposing a child to sex and violence should be upsetting to adults whether it is in a comic, anime, game, movie etc....It is irrelevant that child swerves it due to lack of interest or whatever....

LOL at if he plays a video game im not doing these other things as a parent.

My kids reads, writes, and draws everday. I just taught him how to play chess and he already beat me once.

As far as the video games go ive bought him E rated kids games and he gets bored of them after maybe 2 days.

Hes a big Star Wars fan and has played both Battlefront games so hes already versed in 1st person shooters. I dont see Red Dead being too far of a jump.

I wasn't implying that your life with your offspring plays out solely in front of the telly, I am just 100% against (young) kids being plonked in front of it or given phones/ipads to play with.

I have no idea what battlefront games content looks like but if it involves shooting or other forms of violence, I'd say swerve and ban. Your kid sounds bright, why not get him into writing code.....Python, Raspberry Pi etc...as a best of both world's scenario?

The logical thing would be to treat video games like any other media. Movies, tv, books, and etc. If they can't watch or read something with the same kind of content, don't let them play it. Ratings and parental advisories are everywhere to inform you of what to keep an eye on. But I wouldn't let ratings alone dictate the decision for a quick pass approach. FCC standards have changed a lot and could differ from what you might feel is appropriate. However, video games have not been proven to have a correlation with real world violence.

Your kid sounds bright, why not get him into writing code.....Python, Raspberry Pi etc...as a best of both world's scenario?
giphy.gif

Are these video games?

Nah, no books. They get enough of that at school and doing homework for 2-3 hours.They doing that stuff for damn near half the time that they're awake.

I'm more upset with the sex in games than I am with the violence. My lil nigga was playing heavy rain and there's an interactive sex scene in that and that mf'er just pressing away

my first dealing w sex on a game outside gta was God of War.. dude smashed 2 or 3 bitches in some big ass bed for health and magic. Shit was hilarious.

Just bought Red Dead couple days ago.

I let my boys take turns exploring the map and looking for animals. I just tell them to avoid people and towns.

They not even allowed to use guns. Only the lasso.

Sons been tired of Spiderman and all the lame puzzles u need to solve.

Not a parent. Although, common sense should tell you 2 games you don't let a pre-teen play are:

GTA
Mortal Kombat

or anything with sex and over the top language. Tbh, anything that's made by Rockstar shouldn't be played by kids under the age of 13. MK is the reason why the parental gaming ratings was started.

I only lettin them play red dead when im in the room.

The map is so big we never even interact w/ other human characters in the game.

The have fun riding the horse, camping, and looking for the legendary animals.

Not a parent. Although, common sense should tell you 2 games you don't let a pre-teen play are:

GTA
Mortal Kombat

or anything with sex and over the top language. Tbh, anything that's made by Rockstar shouldn't be played by kids under the age of 13. MK is the reason why the parental gaming ratings was started.
This is crazy cause I was playing mortal kombat on the big screen arcade where you had to put .25 cents and even then I knew better. But only games I would let them play are puzzle and motor skills maybe driving. But I got a 2 and 4 yr old the 2 year old my lil boy is fascinated with games and will sit and watch. But I wouldn't allow them to play any violent games

Back