Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are There Any Female Hip Hop Moguls?

Queen Latifah immediately comes to mind

Yeah she's a mogul, but not necessarily in Hip Hop.

It's like she started in Hip Hop and branched out into acting and TV.

I don't think she owns any record labels or has any successful artists that she put on.

I wanna say what he means is female rappers who are on the same level like Jay, Diddy, Master P, 50. Queen Latifah I’m sure pulls in the dough but I’m hard pressed to think of anyone else.

Yeah she's a mogul, but not necessarily in Hip Hop.

It's like she started in Hip Hop and branched out into acting and TV.

I don't think she owns any record labels or has any successful artists that she put on.
I mean she did start Flavor Unit but there wasn’t any notable rappers to come out of that though so yeah

I mean she did start Flavor Unit but there wasn’t any notable rappers to come out of that though so yeah

Actually she didn't start Flavor Unit. Flavor Unit existed for several years before they made that video. The original members were DJ Mark the 45 King, Lakim Shabazz, Latee, Apache, Markey Fresh, Double J, Chill Rob G, and Queen Latifah. But Latifah had the business acumen to copyright the name Flavor Unit. They all did an album together in 1990 that flopped. Then they came out with another Flavor Unit line up that included a new line up.

This was the first album that Flavor Unit MCs appeared on. I think Markey Fresh and Lakim Shabazz rapped on this album. Side A was rap songs and side B was beats that 45 King made. Although to be honest the beats were lackluster.

R-218995-1392400046-7854.jpeg.jpg

This was another album the Flavor Unit put out, after Latifah copyrighted the name. But the album itself was a dud.

R-618610-1565292414-2102.jpeg.jpg

This is the songs and video that most people remembered. But after this record the Flavor Unit disappeared into oblivion and you never really heard from Queen Latifah after that. I mean, she got into acting and movies and TV shows, but I don't think she continued to rap after this. Maybe that song U.N.I.T.Y. but that's all I can remember.

R-851977-1389166563-1760.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Here's two songs that came out in 1988 by Lakim Shabazz that both shout out Queen Latifah

He shouts out Queen Latifah @ 1:50

He shouts out Queen Latifah @ 2:40

Actually she didn't start Flavor Unit. Flavor Unit existed for several years before they made that video. The original members were DJ Mark the 45 King, Lakim Shabazz, Latee, Apache, Markey Fresh, Double J, Chill Rob G, and Queen Latifah. But Latifah had the business acumen to copyright the name Flavor Unit. They all did an album together in 1990 that flopped. Then they came out with another Flavor Unit line up that included a new line up.

This was the first album that Flavor Unit MCs appeared on. I think Markey Fresh and Lakim Shabazz rapped on this album. Side A was rap songs and side B was beats that 45 King made. Although to be honest the beats were lackluster.

View attachment 383911

This was another album the Flavor Unit put out, after Latifah copyrighted the name. But the album itself was a dud.

View attachment 383914

This is the songs and video that most people remembered. But after this record the Flavor Unit disappeared into oblivion and you never really heard from Queen Latifah after that. I mean, she got into acting and movies and TV shows, but I don't think she continued to rap after this. Maybe that song U.N.I.T.Y. but that's all I can remember.

View attachment 383918
Oh my bad I stand corrected

Wasnt Naughty by Nature in flavor unit or involved with them somehow?

and Flavor Unit is more than a record label. I thought her production company went by the same name

Female artist dont typically start labels.
Most moguls get they shit going through labels and generating funds through their acts and then branching out into TV, clothes, alcohol and others lucrative deals.
If we being fair, it probably has more to do w the law of averages. For every Jay-z, there are 500 signed male rappers that didnt become a moguls.
Cant say the same for female rappers.
Also, the obvious sexism in the hip hop culture. Makes it hard for women to get in position of power.
I can only think of a handful of rappers that could have actually gotten a sub-label. Maybe Nicky.
Didnt missy have a label at one point?

Good thread by the way. I also wonder if the box that women get put in makes it hard for them to be taken serious business wise...for example. Nicky is half naked and talking about "eat my pussy" then walks into a meeting w a record exec that has that in their mind...idk. you can say the same about a Male rapper too though

Female artist dont typically start labels.
Most moguls get they shit going through labels and generating funds through their acts and then branching out into TV, clothes, alcohol and others lucrative deals.
If we being fair, it probably has more to do w the law of averages. For every Jay-z, there are 500 signed male rappers that didnt become a moguls.
Cant say the same for female rappers.
Also, the obvious sexism in the hip hop culture. Makes it hard for women to get in position of power.
I can only think of a handful of rappers that could have actually gotten a sub-label. Maybe Nicky.
Didnt missy have a label at one point?

Yeah I think Missy and Queen Latifah are the closest thing to female moguls, but they're nowhere near the level of Jay, Dre, Cube, 50, Puff, Master P, Baby, J Prince, Etc.

Do Beyonce, Rihanna, and Mariah Carey not count given their multiple highly successful ventures?

Good question. Maybe R&B is more feminine and Hip Hop is more masculine.

But even so, Beyonce, Rihanna, Mariah Carey and even Janet Jackson don't own record labels with artists that they manage.

Madonna made alot of money, but I wouldn't consider her a mogul. I'd just consider her a very, very, very successful pop star.

I dont think having a label is what makes you a mogul tho.. I thought it was just being successful in different business ventures

Beyonce and Rihanna are for sure moguls
I agree but do you consider Rihanna and Beyoncé hip hop?

I agree but do you consider Rihanna and Beyoncé hip hop?

Not explicitly which is why I left them off my list cuz I thought we were talking about female rappers at first.

Rihanna and Beyonce are RnB/Pop.. they have hip hop elements in their music but theyre not exclusive to hip hop.

But then again neither was Queen Latifah or Missy... so iono lol

Back