Welcome To aBlackWeb

All things HBCU related thread

Former student pledges additional $15 million to Morgan State, a landmark gift for HBCUs

Calvin E. Tyler Jr. grew up in what he recalls as “very humble beginnings” in Baltimore, went to Morgan State University in his home city in the early 1960s, left school without finishing his degree for want of money, became a driver for United Parcel Service, jumped into management and retired in 1998 as senior vice president after a long and successful run with UPS.

Then he and his wife, Tina, started giving to Morgan State in what has now become a landmark run of philanthropy for the nation’s historically Black colleges and universities.
Their first donation arrived in 2000, $42,744 toward fulfilling a $500,000 pledge. The Tylers kept giving, and their pledges kept rising: another $500,000, another $1 million, another $3 million.

“I wanted to make it possible for a lot of kids from the inner city to go to college on scholarships,” Tyler said.

On Monday, Morgan State announced a new pledge from the Tylers of $15 million. Their lifetime total now stands at $20 million. All will be dedicated to financial aid, with a goal of helping students graduate with little or no debt.
What sets these gifts apart is the source. The $20 million appears to be one of the largest total pledges that any historically Black school has received from a former student (and, in this case, a spouse).

Former student pledges additional $15 million to Morgan State, a landmark gift for HBCUs

Calvin E. Tyler Jr. grew up in what he recalls as “very humble beginnings” in Baltimore, went to Morgan State University in his home city in the early 1960s, left school without finishing his degree for want of money, became a driver for United Parcel Service, jumped into management and retired in 1998 as senior vice president after a long and successful run with UPS.

Then he and his wife, Tina, started giving to Morgan State in what has now become a landmark run of philanthropy for the nation’s historically Black colleges and universities.
Their first donation arrived in 2000, $42,744 toward fulfilling a $500,000 pledge. The Tylers kept giving, and their pledges kept rising: another $500,000, another $1 million, another $3 million.

“I wanted to make it possible for a lot of kids from the inner city to go to college on scholarships,” Tyler said.

On Monday, Morgan State announced a new pledge from the Tylers of $15 million. Their lifetime total now stands at $20 million. All will be dedicated to financial aid, with a goal of helping students graduate with little or no debt.
What sets these gifts apart is the source. The $20 million appears to be one of the largest total pledges that any historically Black school has received from a former student (and, in this case, a spouse).

This what I'm finna do one day.

Give back to my HBCU. May just buy books and give em' to students that need em for class cause they ain't cheap or something.

Hampton University own Ruth Carter will get her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

For those who don't know she's an oscar award winning costume designer.

Her credits are:
School Daze
I'm Gonna Get You Sucka
Do the Right Thing
Malcolm X
Crooklyn
Love and Basketball
Black Panther
Dolemite is My Name
Coming 2 America

It should go without saying how much the NBA has put a spotlight on HBCUs during All-Star night.

This has been great stuff.

Last edited:
The NBA raised $3 Million for HBCUs during the All-Star night.
Noble.

Honestly, the promo is worth just as much.

Team LeBron wins NBA All-Star Game, but HBCUs were the real winner of the night

Here is a rendition of "Lift Every Voice" by the Clark Atlanta University Choir....

Yall been watching the SWAC games on ESPN?
I saw Jackson St once. Shout out to Prime just for the promo he's been getting. Shouts out to Eddie George for getting the head job at TnSU.

We gotta beat UD one of these years, man. I'm tired of losing to these fuckin Blue Hens. At least the UD/DSU games are being played in Dover now.

Once again, my alma mater out here DOIN THINGS....

DSU, United Airlines Announce Partnership

" Delaware State University and United Airlines announced their partnership today for the airlines Aviate program, making DSU the first historically black college to be a part of the pilot training program...."

AAMU-FB-champs-696x464.jpeg

ALABAMA A&M 2021 SWAC CHAMPS

WE TOUCHED DAT THANG FOLK

Back