Welcome To aBlackWeb

All things HBCU related thread

Lawsuit by HBCU athletes fights what it calls NCAA’s systemic racism
By Derrick Z. Jackson
January 15, 2021

"Black athletes have launched a legal assault on what they are calling the chronic bias by the NCAA. Last month in federal court in Indianapolis, a lawsuit was filed alleging the governing body of college sports singles out historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) for bans from postseason play in Division I, the highest level of competition.

The class-action suit, filed on behalf of three former and recent HBCU athletes at Savannah State and Howard universities, centers on NCAA rules that say a sports program must maintain about a 50% graduation rate to qualify for postseason tournaments, championships and bowl games. The NCAA imposes that standard on programs regardless of a school’s mission or its resources........"

I want to go to a HBCU but I don't want to put myself 40k in debt, C. college for me...

Rite.

I had less than 20K when I graduated. I started taking out loans when I was a junior. It depends on which campus you go to and the cost of tuition they have cause if you don't want that much debt, it shouldn't be a famous HBCU. Them the ones to tax you. I actually had two gigs and one of them was on campus. That'll help negate going into debt.

Plus the experience is something you wouldn't wanna pass on. I'm tellin' ya, you wouldn't wanna pass that up for nothing. I'm still cool w/ homies from my HBCU.

Rite.

I had less than 20K when I graduated. I started taking out loans when I was a junior. It depends on which campus you go to and the cost of tuition they have cause if you don't want that much debt, it shouldn't be a famous HBCU. Them the ones to tax you. I actually had two gigs and one of them was on campus. That'll help negate going into debt.

Plus the experience is something you wouldn't wanna pass on. I'm tellin' ya, you wouldn't wanna pass that up for nothing. I'm still cool w/ homies from my HBCU.
I feel you. I'm still early in C. college but I'll do my research

I feel you. I'm still early in C. college but I'll do my research

Yeah mane.

Just look into the cost of tuition. Cause I was right there in yo shoes saying tha same thang about what's the cost gonna be. Glad I went to an HBCU. Stayed in the dorms on campus until I got tired and moved off. That's when them jobs will really come in handy for you.

If you do go to an HBCU, just know the step shows, club nights, and homecomings will be worth it.

Nothing like the college experience period. I didn’t go to a HBCU but I’d probably agree they are more fun, especially for us.

Let’s hope this finally works for Morris Brown.

I was at ASU at the time, so I VIVIDLY remember when they took MB's accreditation. Niggas was shook that the same thing was gonna happen to us.

Back