Welcome To aBlackWeb

All things HBCU related thread

Can I ask yall hbcu alum something? Why do yall pledge greek?
Several reasons:

1) Some do it for clout.

2) Some do it for legacy.

3) Some do it for networking, post-graduation.

4) Some truly believe in the purposes of that org.

Several reasons:

1) Some do it for clout.

2) Some do it for legacy.

3) Some do it for networking, post-graduation.

4) Some truly believe in the purposes of that org.
Cool. But my thing is why don't these black Greeks go from that to a more African type of deal? That shit seems backwards considering we had the whole black is beautiful/ I'm black and I'm proud movement. Is it Stockholm disease? Make it make sense

Some have. I've seen orgs like on campus. They seemed too Anhk for anyone to take serious.

Look one up: Gentlemen of Quality.

Last edited:
Cool. But my thing is why don't these black Greeks go from that to a more African type of deal? That shit seems backwards considering we had the whole black is beautiful/ I'm black and I'm proud movement. Is it Stockholm disease? Make it make sense

Only think Greek about the orgs is the letters. That’s it everything else is black. Alphas stay with some Egyptian stuff on

MSU repping. I see they made 13 on the list. Not bad. I figures Howard would be high on the list. They were rivals. The DC and bmore rivalry was always funny in the dorms. Go go vs bmore club. Good times.

Went to FAMU. Overall, it was a good experience.

The only bad thing was the business end. The school was atrocious at getting people their money on time and people at the school were constantly stealing money or committing fraud. It was crazy. I remember one year, they someone messed up the transactions to their bank and ended up taking money out of people's accounts instead of putting money in. It happened on a Friday, so a lot of people had to go through the whole weekend with nothing. Nothing like that happened when I was in grad school at UNC. My money was always on time and where it was supposed to be.

The only bad thing was the business end. The school was atrocious at getting people their money on time and people at the school were constantly stealing money or committing fraud. It was crazy. I remember one year, they someone messed up the transactions to their bank and ended up taking money out of people's accounts instead of putting money in. It happened on a Friday, so a lot of people had to go through the whole weekend with nothing. Nothing like that happened when I was in grad school at UNC. My money was always on time and where it was supposed to be.

I hate to say it but I'm willing to bet that most HBCUs are notorious for this. NCAT is the worst and I used to do work-study in both the financial aid office and registrar's office (I loved the registrar's office though). I found out that dealing with FA and housing, you had to stay on them every day IN PERSON over the summer. Housing messed up my assignment after I paid for my spot. Which was good because I ended getting a single suite during my last year (good times).

I hate to say it but I'm willing to bet that most HBCUs are notorious for this. NCAT is the worst and I used to do work-study in both the financial aid office and registrar's office (I loved the registrar's office though). I found out that dealing with FA and housing, you had to stay on them every day IN PERSON over the summer. Housing messed up my assignment after I paid for my spot. Which was good because I ended getting a single suite during my last year (good times).

Yep, everyone I know that went to an HBCU had to deal with it. It's kinda just part of the culture at this point.

Man....so many memories of the school fucking up the money. I got purged from the system damn near every year, even when all my paper work was good. My last year especially sucked, cause they took my band scholarship, even before we found out the band had given out more scholarship money then they had in the budget.

Fall 04 was ROUGH. I lived out of my car, having to sleep on my old suite's couch, because one of my frat brothers was in the suite then. Sometimes, I even had to sleep in my car.

And yeah, it came out later that there was a criminal operation conducted that people were stealing. One woman was changing the in-state status of out-of-state students for about $1000-2000 a head under the table. I think that was the same thing happening when Ol' Tyrone from Howard got busted. And THAT joker got away without a scratch on 'em.

I love my school, and I fucks with HBCUs hard, but they are definitely not without their faults. Hopefully, oversight is now cracking down in midst of schools hemorraging money during the pandemic.

Man....so many memories of the school fucking up the money. I got purged from the system damn near every year, even when all my paper work was good. My last year especially sucked, cause they took my band scholarship, even before we found out the band had given out more scholarship money then they had in the budget.

Fall 04 was ROUGH. I lived out of my car, having to sleep on my old suite's couch, because one of my frat brothers was in the suite then. Sometimes, I even had to sleep in my car.

And yeah, it came out that there was a criminal operation conducted that people were stealing. One woman was changing the in-state status of out-of-state students for about $2000 a head.

I love my school, but it's definitely not without its faults.

That sounds crazy. They put you through it.

Man Hampton fucked up my money so much.

My sister worked out Howard and left after a year. She put together a job fair for the students and Howard didn't pay the vendors money and the day before the event they threatened to not show up.

Had my sister so stressed. They got the money and event was a success but that was the last straw

Yo, I have a request:

Can we get this thread stickied? I'm sure between the RIP Deebo thread, the RIP Kobe thread, and the Election Thread once Biden gets inaugurated can be unstickied.

My brother (Norfolk State) and my mother-in-law (A&T) went to HBCU’s. My uncle was way up in administration at JCSU and Bennett at one point or another. My son is at the STEM early college at A&T right now. He’s interested in going to an HBCU once he graduates.

I didn’t go to one mainly because I went to where I had family and friends already there. But being a Kappa we had tight ties to the bruhs and communities at A&T and WSSU. To a lesser extent Shaw and NCCU. And of course we loved the ladies at Bennett.

Back